Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This can all be good for Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,411

This can all be good for Clemson

Jun 3, 2012, 7:58 PM

As hard as it is to say and as bad as losing to your rival is, South Carolina is the two-time defending national champion and one of the powerhouses this year and we went down to the wire with them in two close games (one of them being the second of a double header for us). Also in football, they are a nationally ranked team picked preseason to be third in the SEC. Maybe this is the wake up call that Clemson athletics needs, so that we're not just content to beat our cross state rival and be satisfied with that, no matter what the rest of the season held.
As long and painful as this three years has been being dominated by South Carolina, it is just three years and things will turn around in the rivalry. Meanwhile, our football program shows tremendous improvement, the baseball team ended strong in what seemed to be a down year, and our rivalry is actually getting recognition outside of the state of South Carolina.
In anything it's fun to beat up on the same old opponent time and time again....that is until you have to then play someone other than that opponent and you realize you didn't really gain anything by beating someone inferior to yourself (other than lighting a fire under them to get better). I'm glad we have a rival who is finally putting together something of an athletic program, but it means Clemson has to step it up to return to dominating them and at the same time making headlines at a national level.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will they get farther ahead with all the SEC money though?

Jun 3, 2012, 8:07 PM

That is one main reason they caught up with us.

Re: Will they get farther ahead with all the SEC money though?

Jun 3, 2012, 8:24 PM

I think that the TV money descrepancy of being in the ACC (vs the SEC) will be a huge problem; unless the ACC corrects the formula of distribution to help the football schools. (I don't see Swofford being smart enough to help the FB schools compete on the national stage. It would take a decision to give more money to higher ranked FB schools.)

Jack Leggett has continually gotten commitments from recruits that do not go to Clemson, but to the pros.

While I like Dabo Swinney, and he's a great recruiter, CU let the dollars of the Bowden buyout worry them into settling for a possible "up-and-comer" as opposed to getting an established coach that could have taken CU to the top.
Dabo has made a good decision on his Offensive Coordinator, although this year will be proof, or not, of that. Time will tell if the new Def Coord is worth the $.

While Brownell is quite a good coach, his recruiting has been average for Clemson (and poor against the ACC competition). He replaced Oliver Purnell, who had Shaka as his recruiter; unfortunately, Oliver was not a really smart coach, and his decisions cost us several games (like the game with the 20-pt lead at UNCheats). I think the 2-3 year clock is ticking on Brownell.

Jun 3, 2012, 8:51 PM

I think you make some valid points. I tend to think Jack should be on the gotta dial it up list ahead of Brownell, who has been given a tough hand to play.
I am not sold on Dabo unless we pay our coordinators outrageous money to keep the very top assistants.......by the way, recruiting is not exactly tearing it up.
If we pin any hopes on Swofford, just pull the trigger quickly and don't miss!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This can all be good for Clemson

Jun 3, 2012, 8:15 PM

"I'm glad we have a rival who is finally putting together something of an athletic program, but..."
Not me- I liked it better when they sucked at everything and we were the clear powerhouse of the state.

Jun 3, 2012, 8:50 PM

Me too!

Jun 3, 2012, 8:59 PM [ in reply to Re: This can all be good for Clemson ]

Amen to that!

Jun 3, 2012, 9:35 PM

They've always had more money. SCar has MANY more alumni in SC than Clemson does so just do the math. Yeah the SEC $$'s help but it's more how they spend it. The difference is they now have great coaches in football and baseball. Say what you will about SOS and I hate the arrogant essobee, but the man can coach and sooner or later good coaches will get good players and thats what they've done. Tanner is just a class act all the way around and obviously knows the value of recruiting in our homestate which has a motherlode of baseball talent.

SCar finally has what we Tiger fans have dreaded for decades - competent motivated coaches.

The difference for the coots is the leadership they have

Jun 3, 2012, 9:49 PM

Football coach, Athletic director and school prez are all on the same page down there as far as becoming a sports dominating school and they are showing it in how they are upgraded stuff down there in that hell hole. They hired a basketball coach in that same mold and I have no doubt that will get better for them. Our problem is our leadership is NOT all about sports and keeping up with the jones and its the clemson fans who are gonna feel the pain when it comes to that. We need revamping from the top down or my friends we are gonna be in trouble. I thought I would never say this but I will be #### happy when the old ball sack hangs it up but im starting to worry hes gonna pull a joe pa on us.

Re: The difference for the coots is the leadership they have

Jun 3, 2012, 9:56 PM

well said, every bit of it very true!! until we get rid of barker this is what we will be!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 3, 2012, 10:08 PM

A wake up call? Just how many are needed. I thought the wake up call was about ten years ago in Omaha. The next one was two years ago in Omaha. Now this one is going to be the wake up call. Not exactly sure what they can do if they haven't awakened at this point.

Jun 3, 2012, 10:17 PM

I think over the next few years we are going to have an awesome rivalry. Clemson will not be content to let us dominate. Maybe some in the clemson administration are content but clemson has too many fans who wont allow it. It will eventually start affecting the booster money and then the administration will get back on board.

I think the clemson fans expecting things to return to normal are going to be disappointed, though. The days are gone where SC is going to lay down. Our administration has finally caught on to the benefits of athletics and is now committed to using our resources to maintain success. When Spurrier leaves i fully expect us to go after really good coaches. I think our next baseball coach is already on the staff. I dont see this rivalry returning to clemson dominating.

Add all that up and you get two bitter rivals who are equally committed to winning. We have always had one of the most intense and passionate rivalries. Now i think we are going to have that plus a very tight rivalry with games that matter more than instate bragging rights. Going to be exciting and fun.

The great rivalries share streaks of success...

Jun 4, 2012, 10:15 AM

Fla/FSU, Tex/Okl, Mich/OhSt, Duke/UNC(basketball), etc
They all trade off on who has the upper hand and push one another to get better. There are also small moments of dominance for one program over another, but they don't last long. The recruiting is top notch and the rivalry games are nationally televised on a big stage.

That's what I would love to see our rivalry become - even though the brawl was an embarrassment, it at least gave us national attention to what this rivalry is in our state. Hopefully going forward the attention is more positive and based on two highly ranked teams going at it each season and maybe even meeting back up in a high stakes postseason match (like we've done in baseball).

Jun 4, 2012, 10:24 AM

Not as long as our fans think with their hearts as opposed to their brains

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2012, 10:51 AM

i want to win.

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,411
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic