Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I've seen and heard a lot of stuff lately about the O.J.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 3,414

I've seen and heard a lot of stuff lately about the O.J.

Mar 5, 2016, 7:31 AM

Simpson drama 20 years ago. After watching some Forensic Files, it seems they can now go back and using all of the DNA tecnology and other stuff to prove he killed Nicole and Ron. I watched a show the other day when they put away someone who committed a murder 30 years ago. Why can't they do it with this case or are they not wanting to prove he did do it? I'm asking for myself.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've seen and heard a lot of stuff lately about the O.J.

Mar 5, 2016, 7:37 AM

He was acquitted so they can not have another trial.
Unless it's a civil case and that would be hard to do.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Civil case

Mar 5, 2016, 7:44 AM

I doubt they could even do that since OJ already lost the civil case and they had one.

DNA

Mar 5, 2016, 7:37 AM

They used DNA technology back then, but the jury was too stupid to be believe in it. Moreover, they know he did it and there is nothing to prove. There is double jeopardy so he could never be tried again, even if admits to killer her. Anyway, they know he is guilty and that would be a waste of resources to pursue any further.

Mar 5, 2016, 7:50 AM

He was found not guilty in the criminal case. He cannot be tried again due to the 5th amendment provision of double jeopardy.

Afterwards the victims' families filed a civil suit. They won and financially ruined Simpson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

He hasn't really paid anything to themfrom the civil case.

Mar 5, 2016, 7:57 AM

They were awarded 33 million and he never paid them.

I had to look it up because I did remember them collecting

Mar 5, 2016, 8:36 AM

something. Nowhere close to $33M but they did ruin him and continue to dog him. From Wiki...

"On February 5, 1997, a civil jury in Santa Monica, California, unanimously found Simpson liable for the wrongful death of and battery against Goldman, and battery against Brown. Simpson was ordered to pay $33,500,000 in damages; in February 1999, an auction of Simpson's Heisman Trophy and other belongings netted almost $500,000, which went to the Goldman family."

Also,

"A 2000 Rolling Stone article reported that Simpson still made a significant income by signing autographs. He subsequently moved from California to Florida, settling in Miami. In Florida, among a few states, a person's residence cannot be seized to collect a debt under most circumstances. The Goldman family also tried to collect Simpson's NFL $28,000 yearly pension but failed to collect any money.

On September 5, 2006, Goldman's father took Simpson back to court to obtain control over his "right to publicity" for purposes of satisfying the judgment in the civil court case. On January 4, 2007, a Federal judge issued a restraining order prohibiting Simpson from spending any advance he may have received on a canceled book deal and TV interview about the 1994 murders. The matter was dismissed before trial for lack of jurisdiction. On January 19, 2007, a California state judge issued an additional restraining order, ordering Simpson to restrict his spending to "ordinary and necessary living expenses".

On March 13, 2007, a judge prevented Simpson from receiving any further compensation from the defunct book deal and TV interview. He ordered the bundled book rights to be auctioned.[50] In August 2007, a Florida bankruptcy court awarded the rights to the book to the Goldman family to partially satisfy an unpaid civil judgment. Originally titled If I Did It, the book was renamed If I Did It: Confessions of the Killer, with the word "If" reduced in size to make it appear that the title was "I Did It: Confessions of the Killer". Additional material was added by members of the Goldman family, investigative journalist Dominick Dunne, and author Pablo Fenjves. The Goldman family was listed as the author."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Went to lawyers...

Mar 5, 2016, 8:38 AM

http://www.cnbc.com/2014/06/10/oj-simpson-murder-money-trial.html

Yep. Johnnie Cochran & Co.***

Mar 5, 2016, 8:39 AM

Interesting, thanks for posting.

lawyers make laws. the first law is lawyers get paid first***

Mar 6, 2016, 6:14 AM [ in reply to Went to lawyers... ]

Mar 5, 2016, 7:54 AM

It's called double jeopardy, you can't be charged with the same crime twice. They had enough evidence to convict him last time, but the DA was too consumed with the fame of TV.

Mar 5, 2016, 7:55 AM

The fifth amendment of the constitution states "nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb [...]."

Since there was a trial by jury (actually all that is needed is for a trial jury to be empaneled and sworn in), and the jury rendered a verdict of "not-guilty," OJ cannot be re-tried for any of the offenses committed that night, including many "lesser-included offenses" that he conceivably could have been charged with at the time.

This is called the "double jeopardy clause," and attaches pretty early and prevents retrial for most criminal proceedings that end in a non-conviction (including some mistrials), generally the term used in the legal community is a "final judgment," or a "decision on the merits."

In civil cases, there is a similar procedure called "res judicata" that means a plaintiff can only have one bite at the proverbial "apple."

If you would like to read more, Cornell has a very good online, free resource (https://www.law.cornell.edu/anncon/amdt5afrag2_user.html#amdt5a_hd7 ), and well, to be honest, the Wikipedia page is sufficient for someone to attain a cursory knowledge on this particular clause of the constitution.

Obviously, his son killed her.

Mar 5, 2016, 7:59 AM

That's who they should go after.

Sarcasm?**

Mar 5, 2016, 8:02 AM

nm

He lost a civil case to the Goldmans and children.

Mar 5, 2016, 9:07 AM

35 million I think. They will never see a dime of it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Mar 5, 2016, 9:26 AM

What the media don't talk about is the background of Ron Goldman. It was no secret that the restaurant
Goldman worked at was a hotspot for drug selling. Three of his friends who worked there were murdered and Ron himself was suspected of selling drugs. The LAPD shut the Mezzaluna down in 97. Methinks Ron and Nicole was murdered by drug dealers and remember Nicole was a coke head her and her buddy Faye Resnick

Mar 5, 2016, 9:30 AM

interesting....didn't know all of that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason why you didn'y know that...

Mar 6, 2016, 5:48 AM

is because it's not true. I am born and raised right down the road. I used to go to Mezzaluna all the time. That is nonsense.

Re: The reason why you didn'y know that...

Mar 6, 2016, 8:57 AM

Wrong and you are four kinds of wrong. Well I guess I have to start throwing names out here. Eleven months before the famous double murder, Ron Goldman's friend Brett Cantor was killed with a knife in a manner identical to Ron and Nicole, from behind and across the throat and stabbed repeatedly on the arms and chest. Michael Nigg, a waiter at the Mezzaluna (Ron Goldman was also a waiter there) was shot in the head and killed. Another Mezzaluna waiter barely survived a car bombing. There were three Mezzalunas in all. The other two were in Beverly Hills, California and Aspen, Colorado. Before Nigg moved to California he lived in Denver, Colorado. Keith Zlomsowitch, the man O.J. saw Nicole having sex with on her living room couch in 1992, was the Director of Operations for all three restaurants. He was also surrounded by rumors of drug trafficking at the Mezzaluna in Brentwood and was a passenger in a car that was stopped by police and found to have cocaine. The driver was charged for the cocaine. She claimed that it belonged to Zlomsowitch. I can go on and on with this.

^^^ This guy knows

Mar 6, 2016, 9:43 AM

Cocain is a hell of drug. Lots of people doing insane amounts in the Hollywood area during the early 90s, well especially during the early 90s. She was Paris Hilton from the previous generation without the bankroll, thought she could screw her way out of everything but it eventually caught up.

Oh, so rich people in LA don't do cocaine...

Mar 6, 2016, 12:41 PM [ in reply to The reason why you didn'y know that... ]

not trying to back up the theory. But, it's no secret that the rich and famous in LA do hardcore drugs on the regular

Cocaine is everywhere and it's not just LA..

Mar 7, 2016, 6:44 AM

You can get cocaine easy in Anderson SC. I grew up in Los Angeles. I saw more drugs in SC than I did in California. O know Ca has everything, but people build up how hard core Ca is. People party harder in SC than they do in Ca imo. To be honest, people in Ca are wusses compared to SC people I showed up at Clemson drinking Coors light. South Carolina kids were slamming Jack Daniels and doing all kinds of drugs at 18 years old.

You are correct

Mar 7, 2016, 9:00 AM

I teach HS in a public San Jose urban school. These kids are nowhere near as wild as we were 30 yrs. ago when I was a senior in HS in Columbia. Its comical to me the stereotypes that make folks think all of California is Hollywood. Its staggering how many Cali folks are working class families trying to be good parents, family oriented people yet so many people in other parts of the nation think the whole state is Baywatch world.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL...Fail!**

Mar 6, 2016, 5:43 AM [ in reply to Re: I've seen and heard a lot of stuff lately about the O.J. ]

nm

He lost a 35 million dollar civil case to the

Mar 6, 2016, 6:02 AM

Goldmans and his kids. Tried twice. Once in Federal Court. Once in Civil.

Tiger/Terrier

Can't be tried twice for the same crime

Mar 6, 2016, 6:12 AM

he is forever innocent in the eyes of the law.

DNA can be planted just because someone says they found DNA someplace does not mean that they found DNA someplace

Yes you can and he was. He was tried in Federal and won.

Mar 6, 2016, 7:35 AM

He was then tried in Civil and lost.

Tiger/Terrier

No you can't.

Mar 6, 2016, 10:46 AM

The federal trial was a criminal trial. He can't be tried again for murder. The second one was a civil trial. He was tried for wrongful death.

Double jeopardy. Can't be tried again for the same crime if

Mar 6, 2016, 10:50 AM

found not guilty. Juries verdict as a complete racial farce.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Double Jeopardy, you must not know much about the American legal system..

Mar 6, 2016, 12:36 PM

This is much ado about nothing. The LAPD is notoriously corrupt. The foreman for the demolition team said the story isn't true. Weren't we all inundated with this story 20 years ago. The LAPD and prosecution f'ed up the investigation. End of story. 20 years ago hearing about this everyday was annoying. And it is now.

By the way, while the country was obsessing about a single murder case, and then the President getting a blow job. Al Qaeda was building up to conduct terrorist attacks across the world. We in this country have a twisted sense of priorities.

Re: Double Jeopardy, you must not know much about the American legal system..

Mar 6, 2016, 1:16 PM

There was no way for the general public to know what was going on with Al Qaeda in those days. However the sitting president who was briefed on this type of stuff every day of his life was too #### busy f****** around with a bimbo intern.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

American public should have known because their tax dollars

Mar 6, 2016, 1:47 PM

were supporting Al Qaeda back in the 80's when Ronald Reagan was supporting their jihad against the Soviet Union. Nice try in putting the blame on Clinton. But it just doesn't hold up. First off his last two years in office were consumed by Ken Starr's waste of tax dollars in an investigation that could only come up with a blowjob from an intern. Secondly, in the transition from the Clinton to W Bush administration. The Clinton people warned Condolezza Rice about Al Qaeda, but she was more concerned with Russia. Also, a month before the Sept. 11 attacks President W Bush got an intelligence briefing stating Bin Laden was determined to attack the US. What did W Bush do, go on a month long vacation.

By the way, I can't stand Bill Clinton. He passed to many bills sending American jobs overseas, and supported too many repressive regimes across the world.

Side note, Bill Clinton had a role in creating Fox News. He signed the 1996 telecommunications act, which allowed foreign ownership of American media. Which paved the way for Rupert Murdoch, an Australian citizen to buy Fox.

Also, I heard about Al Qaeda in those days...

Mar 6, 2016, 1:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Double Jeopardy, you must not know much about the American legal system.. ]

there were news stories on them back then. But like I said American were consumed with the OJ case, then the Lewinsky BJ thing instead of paying attention to what's important

Re: Also, I heard about Al Qaeda in those days...

Mar 6, 2016, 7:34 PM

I don't think that he American people were as obsessed as the Media was.
Under Clinton we had two foreign embassies bomb and the World TC underground parking garage.
The Saudis also had OBL in custody and offered him to Clinton.
Just because Condy was "warned" didn't mean she had time to go behind the NSA, NSC, CIA, FBI, FAA, and every other Federal agency charged with national security that dropped the ball, to see if they knew what was relevant.
I'm no fan of W either but don't absolve Clinton please.
The American President always gets more credit and blame than they deserve. Bureaucrats run this country with little input from the average citizen. The President and Congress are heavily influenced by the donor class, ie. Corporations, Political class and Academia.
Badmouthing Presidents is a waste of time.,

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Double Jeopardy, you must not know much about the American legal system..

Mar 6, 2016, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Double Jeopardy, you must not know much about the American legal system.. ]

There was no way for the general public to know what was going on with Al Qaeda in those days. However the sitting president who was briefed on this type of stuff every day of his life was too #### busy f****** around with a bimbo intern.

Replies: 34
| visibility 3,414
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic