Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Bleacher Report writers view of SCar for Tiger fans
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

A Bleacher Report writers view of SCar for Tiger fans

Nov 11, 2013, 1:00 PM

Money quote: "South Carolina will face off against the Tigers on Nov. 30 and permanently fall from the top half of the Top 25. Clemson’s only loss was to national title-bound Florida State. It’s beaten every single one of its opponents by multiple scores since the start of September."

Not a lot of analysis, but he makes some good points about how SCar has played this year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1844753-college-football-rankings-2013-week-12-teams-that-will-plummet-in-coming-weeks

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Bleacher Report writers view of SCar for Tiger fans

Nov 11, 2013, 1:03 PM

I hope so but the last couple years our efforts w them dont make me real confident. I do believe we are better though. we just have to show it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed, our success against USuC will be determined by...

Nov 11, 2013, 1:16 PM

our O-Line play and Tajh Boyd. I thought that we were the better team prior to last years game. However, Boyd played poorly and our D could not get stops on 3rd and long. This year I think it comes down to the OL and Boyd. If we struggle at those positions we will lose a close game like last year. I will always pull for the tigers but I won't feel confident until I see how the game starts. I am a little concerned about GT Thursday. They are not a great team but they have a difficult Offense and their D-Line is better.

I'm banking on Boyd and Watkins being as psyched up for this

Nov 11, 2013, 1:17 PM [ in reply to Re: A Bleacher Report writers view of SCar for Tiger fans ]

one as any game they've played in their careers. And there are a lot of guys like Bryant, Williams, Hopper, etc., that really have incentive to start to lock down their roles for bowl and next season. No better game this season to show Dabo and Morris they are ready to start next season than SCar.

And if UCF can get over 350+ yards in the air our squad should be able to wear out their secondary, too, whenever we need to. SCar has done better against other teams in the air, I think (don't have stats handy). I do remember seeing numbers that said we defended the rush (yds per) better. But that may have been a few games back. So we will have to really focus our backs on keeping Shaw scoping for targets. If that's possible (we need improvement there).

UCF and Mizzou are both ranked

Nov 11, 2013, 1:11 PM

..and were beaten on the road. Two quality wins. Tennessee was a BAD loss no question but just about every team has a bad loss every now and then.

But if we're playing the "then ranked" card Clemson has exactly ONE win over a top 25 team. #25 UGA. So his "analysis" is a little weak IMO.

What's that say about your loss to UGA then

Nov 11, 2013, 1:14 PM

lol

I think Clemson beat a different UGA team...

Nov 11, 2013, 1:16 PM

...and we lost to that same UGA team at home... a legit top 10 team both games. Today they are so injury riddled it's not even the same team.

I give props to Clemson for beating them and I don't think it's a bad loss for us.

So wait its we should count it as a #25 win for clemson,

Nov 11, 2013, 1:22 PM

but not a #25 loss for Scar?

Not at all.

Nov 11, 2013, 1:25 PM

The "article" points to a loss at UT but says nothing of who Clemson's double digit wins came against.

Like I said, I give Clemson credit for a quality win and I think we loss to a legit top 10 team that day.

The UGa team you lost to

Nov 11, 2013, 1:42 PM

had already lost its best receiver and used a severely hobbled Gurley.

Re: The UGa team you lost to

Nov 11, 2013, 1:57 PM

To be fair, that WR was gone for our game too. Out after the second drive. Gurley was also a bit banged up too.

I understand you guys want to give crap to South Carolina fans, but this guy is making legit points and giving Clemson credit for the UGA win, while noting they lost to that same team.

To try to pick apart his argument is grasping at straws.

I didnt even read his article

Nov 11, 2013, 2:03 PM

I am just calling it how I see it. Gurley got banged up DURING our game. He was never healthy against USuC

Re: I didnt even read his article

Nov 11, 2013, 2:08 PM

LOL you're trying to have a conversation about an article you didn't even read. Kind of difficult to see the points I was trying to make without that key piece of information.

Do I have to read it to get the gist of what the

Nov 11, 2013, 2:11 PM

argument is about? I don't think so...I not a freaking idiot.

Re: Do I have to read it to get the gist of what the

Nov 11, 2013, 2:13 PM

"I don't think so...I not a freaking idiot"

maybe you're not but you're really doing a great impression of one.

Says the coot on a tiger board

Nov 11, 2013, 2:18 PM

why don't you find your way back over to FGF? You and all your delusional buddies can celebrate another year of unfulfilled dreams.

Other than you

Nov 11, 2013, 2:26 PM

It's been a pretty civilized discussion. And I don't post on fgf

Re: The UGa team you lost to

Nov 11, 2013, 2:54 PM [ in reply to The UGa team you lost to ]

Clemson fans conveniently forget that Gurley missed a good half of the Clemson game. Plus, UGA's starting safety was suspended and replaced by the 3rd string slow white kid who the Tigers picked on all nite.

That "slow white kid" almost caught Sammy

Nov 11, 2013, 2:58 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POSB4eK2cOI

Those coaches fighting on the sidelines...that's pretty bad.***

Nov 11, 2013, 2:35 PM [ in reply to I think Clemson beat a different UGA team... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Speaking of a weak analysis....

Nov 11, 2013, 1:17 PM [ in reply to UCF and Mizzou are both ranked ]

didn't $CU actually LOSE to that now 25th ranked UGa team?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

lets see here. an sec, uh, powerhouse (as they call them-

Nov 11, 2013, 1:18 PM [ in reply to UCF and Mizzou are both ranked ]

selves) still clinging to the ucf as a signature win. what does your sec cohorts say about this ? my guess would be that ya'll are,once again, without even trying hard, the laughingstock of the sec !

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Comparing #5 UGA to now #25 UGA is almost like comparing

Nov 11, 2013, 1:36 PM [ in reply to UCF and Mizzou are both ranked ]

Clemson now to Clemson in 81. Almost.

We beat a team that stayed pretty highly ranked for a while. And we beat them at their peak.

SCar's wins have been more like VT's wins (expect the Miami beat down). Somehow they don't play well but win by a few points. I'm not saying this kid (he's in college) put a ton of thought into analyzing all aspects, but he makes a good point about game margins. Sure, there's more to it than that.

BOTH teams have played a similar schedule......

Nov 11, 2013, 1:36 PM [ in reply to UCF and Mizzou are both ranked ]

they have THREE "elite" teams on their schedule and BOTH teams are 1 & 1

Clemson beat a pre-injury depleted legit top 5/10 team
Carolina lost to a pre-injury depleted legit top 5/10 team

Clemson was demolished by likely BCS championship team
Carolina beat a very good top 5/10 Missouri team

Each team has to play each other so that's the 3rd elite team..........bottomline is NEITHER team had a "gauntlet" of a schedule. In regards to CONFERENCE play it set up PERFECTLY for BOTH teams........Clemson's bad loss to FSU messed up their shot............Carolina's bad loss to UT MAY have messed their shot up, but that's still on the table.

everybody will find who's truly the better team November 30th........in the meantime this "who played a tougher schedule" is pointless and splitting hairs anyways.

a Mizzou team..

Nov 11, 2013, 1:45 PM

that was missing their starting QB.

true, but still a good team and the way it happened proved..

Nov 11, 2013, 1:49 PM

that conner shaw is essential for South Carolina to be a top 10 team

I guess the point I am making

Nov 11, 2013, 2:04 PM

is Shaw came in the game to beat Mizzou. Were Mizzou afforded a chance to get James Franklin in does USuC still win?

a healthy shaw vs healthy franklin i think it's a tossup....

Nov 11, 2013, 2:08 PM

but my point is even w/ a 2nd string QB mizzou is still a pretty good team..............problem is i don't think they're good enough to win out in the SEC and I don't think UGA is healty enough to win @ auburn........so that gives SCar the east

either way the bottom line is BOTH teams are 1&1 vs real good teams this year.......their 3rd test will be November 30

but, how do you compare our loss against fsu, with their

Nov 11, 2013, 2:22 PM

to tennessee. that blew your argument out, right there. we have 0 losses outside of the #2 team in the bcs, especially not to a sub .500 squad (4-6). we beat a top-5 uga team, they lost to the same team. there is no way to compare our win vs. a healthy uga, and their win vs. mizzou, no matter how hard you try.

Re: but, how do you compare our loss against fsu, with their

Nov 11, 2013, 2:33 PM

The same analysis was made against Auburn a couple of years ago and we see how that turned out. We will see NOV.30th.

Yes but luck has it that USuC doesn't get to play FSU...

Nov 11, 2013, 2:36 PM

Unless we can count UF as USuC since, you know...they're SEC.

exactly.......great point shoulda used that to begin with...

Nov 11, 2013, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Re: but, how do you compare our loss against fsu, with their ]

each game is DIFFERENT and has ZERO transitive properties w/ other games

Hey that was a defensive BATTLE. People were getting air

Nov 11, 2013, 2:38 PM

lifted off the field in that one. Bower's took heads home for souvenirs...

i'm not comparing the two wins........

Nov 11, 2013, 2:34 PM [ in reply to but, how do you compare our loss against fsu, with their ]

I'm saying that BOTH teams play 3 teams that are "legit teams".........and to this date BOTH teams are 1&1 vs those teams on their respective schedules.

there are so many variables with each game it's real tough to compare one to another.

-we beat a very good UGA team in the most electric atmosphere that i had ever seen in death valley

-they lost to a very good UGA team (slightly hampered by injury, but still legit) on the road that was respectively close until UGA stuck a nail in it in the 4th

-they lost to a BAD UT team.......are they a worse team than UT????........not imo

-we lost BADLY to a very good FSU team AT HOME in what was very briefly the most electric atmosphere i'd seen in death valley...........are we "THAT much worse" than FSU?? not imo

-they came from 17 down in a hostile environment w/ like 8-10 minutes left in the game.

you have to give credit to EACH team for the good wins and give criticism to EACH team for the bad losses.

Surprising that pheebo did not remember that

Nov 11, 2013, 1:53 PM [ in reply to a Mizzou team.. ]

curious

oh i remember.....

Nov 11, 2013, 1:58 PM

after franklin went out vs UGA i think......i remember thinking there goes south carolina's chances of losing to them.

but even w/ a 2nd string QB mizzou is still a pretty good team. I think their talent at WR compensates for any shortcomings at QB

the entire point of my post was that both teams ONLY play 3 "good" teams.........both are 1&1.......comparing other parts of the schedule is just splitting hairs and it won't even matter come November 30th

two words

Nov 11, 2013, 2:06 PM [ in reply to a Mizzou team.. ]

Dylan Thompson

Fiat Justitia et Pereat Mundus

We've seen that both Clemson and $CU are....

Nov 11, 2013, 1:12 PM

fully capable of playing really well or like total s***.

As is ususally the case, the outcome of this years game will boil down to who minimizes mistakes and plays better on 11/30.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Clemson simply needs to focus on playing TOUGH, SMART

Nov 11, 2013, 1:17 PM

football. That's all I want to see. The results will take care of themselves.

Predicting college football results is silly. These are 19 and 20 years old kids. Anything can happen.

Be tough.
Be ready.
GO TIGERS!!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A Bleacher Report writers view of SCar for Tiger fans

Nov 11, 2013, 1:37 PM

I thought Clemson would win last years game with Tajh and Watkins playing lights out. We had a backup QB, backup RB, Clowney missing the previous game with a foot injury, National TV, and payback on Clemson's mind. It didn't turn out that way and I feel this year we are in better shape to win than last year with it being a home game for us. Rivalry games don't always turn out the way they are suppose to but I like our chances in this one.The games against FSU, UGA, Tennessee, Mizzu, NC State, or any other game is going to effect this one. Line it up and play....that's all there is to it.

Doesn't matter who you play but who you are

Nov 11, 2013, 1:47 PM

Both team are bad match ups for each other. Will be interesting to see who can take the most advantage.

Just curious

Nov 11, 2013, 1:48 PM

Where do you see the advantages/disadvantages that each team has based on match-ups?

As follows

Nov 11, 2013, 1:53 PM

Our WR>their secondary
Their pass rush>our O-line
Our rush defense>mike Davis
Connor shaw=our poison

Not a game to bet on. One team could dominate the other or it could be a field goal game. If any one of the above areas starts to take over the game it could get ugly.

This game is truly a "anything could happen" game

Nov 11, 2013, 1:58 PM

We've shown we could get blown out, we've shown we could win big.

I simply have no idea how it's going to go.

I would agree with most

Nov 11, 2013, 2:10 PM [ in reply to As follows ]

but I am not so sure about our rush defense vs Mike Davis being a bad match up for us or them.
Don't get me wrong, Mike Davis is an incredible player but I don't see our run defense being a weak spot for our team. I also don't see him having a particular style that hurts us.
On the other hand, I don't see us being able to shut him down because we are so dominant in run defense.
I see that match up as being strength on strength. They have just as much chance to win that battle as we do. It could go either way.

Re: I would agree with most

Nov 11, 2013, 2:37 PM

I see home field advantage with South Carolina holding the Nations Longest home wining streak at 15 more of an advantage than Clemson at home last year!

Yeah, Clemson had how long of a winning streak against FSU

Nov 11, 2013, 2:41 PM

at home before that debacle? Different time, different players, could be different outcome...but hey, that's why we watch the games.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic