Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson's Kryptonite: Steve Spurrier?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Clemson's Kryptonite: Steve Spurrier?

May 3, 2014, 9:24 PM

It would be a bit ironic if we ended the streak this year, after losing five in a row and losing Boyd/Watkins, etc., but South Carolina lost a darn good QB also (not to mention that Clowney kid).

I don't think Spurrier is that much better of a coach than Swinney, but they sure have had our number lately. Maybe it ends in 2014.

http://www.football.com/en-us/clemson-s-kryptonite-steve-spurrier/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spurrier is a legend.

May 3, 2014, 9:33 PM

Dabo might end up one but right now a lot separates Dabo and Spurrier

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Usc winning has nothing to do with Spurrier.***

May 4, 2014, 1:46 AM

Is it something with $***

May 4, 2014, 9:52 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Spurrier is a legend.

May 4, 2014, 9:30 PM [ in reply to Spurrier is a legend. ]

I disagree. Dabo is also a legend. All you have to do is ask him .

Re: Spurrier is a legend.

May 4, 2014, 9:59 PM

Right, because he toots his own horn all the time. That's what Dabo's always been about. /sarcasm

Just when I think you couldn't get dumber.

No he's not. The first three years of

May 3, 2014, 9:40 PM

the streak he had much better talent. Two years ago the talent was close, but clemson made a average QB look all world playing zone in the secondary and letting him run for first down after first down on third an long. Last year Clemson gave the game away with six turnovers. Spurrier started getting better players when Bowden on the way out that was the turning point in this series. Clemson should win this year in the Valley. South Carolina has no one on defense that is dominate this year,they will have to rely on scoring 30 plus a game to win. Kinda like us in 2012.

Re: No he's not. The first three years of

May 4, 2014, 2:11 AM

I don't think so.

In 2009, Clemson was clearly the better team. I still don't know how that game turned on that one Harper fumble. It boggles the mind. That same South Carolina team went on to be beaten decisively by Connecticut.

In 2010, I'll agree with you. Clemson had no receivers outside of Hopkins, and Harper couldn't fill the void of left by Ellington.

In 2011, I'd argue the teams were pretty much even. South Carolina had their two greatest defensive ends and a pretty great secondary, while Clemson had Boyd, Watkins, Hopkins, Ellington, Branch, and others that would go on to play in the NFL. I'd probably give the edge to South Carolina since they won the game, though.

In 2012, again, I'd say they were even, but I felt - at the time - that Clemson was clearly superior.

In 2013, I just didn't see Clemson winning even though they were pretty much even.

Though this year will no doubt be different in terms of how the talent is stacked with each programs' departures, I think Clemson can have the edge considering the returning talent on defense.

I had a good laugh reading this post***

May 4, 2014, 2:17 AM

Re: I had a good laugh reading this post***

May 4, 2014, 2:33 AM

It's good to know you're up at 2:30 a.m. on our message board.

Love it!!!

Spurrier of Shaw? That is a good question.

May 3, 2014, 10:15 PM

Spurrier was winning championships at UF when Spurrier was learning to coach and learning business. I choose to man up and give the blowhard his props.

That said, its great to see Shaw graduate. He absolutely owned us. It's great to see the game in Clemson and SC's diminished D. Advantage Clemson. It's on Dabo and team to right the ship in Death Valley this year. I like our chances with improved Tiger D.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Spurrier of Shaw? That is a good question.

May 3, 2014, 10:31 PM

And if we have a chance to score 80, then we should.... never call off the dogs no matter what the score!

Re: Spurrier of Shaw? That is a good question.

May 4, 2014, 1:16 PM

> And if we have a chance to score 80, then we
> should.... never call off the dogs no matter what the
> score!

This ^^^ is the funniest post I've read on this site in a loooong time. By the end of the season, Whammy will have the D in very fine shape. Count on it.

Game coot

May 4, 2014, 1:33 PM

I don't think he was implying that your D would be so terrible we could score 80, or our offense be that good for that matter.

The poster was just saying if we had the chance, have no mercy.

We all know the teams will be pretty evenly matched this year with the game being in DV. Your D has the season to gel but our offense will too. We don't have many question marks on D.

I'm sure you feel that your coots will win this year but we feel that the Tigers will have the upper hand.

An important note is you are on a Clemson board... Go home to the chicken coup.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson's Kryptonite: Steve Spurrier?

May 3, 2014, 10:44 PM

Plain and simple. If SC didn't have shaw these last 4 yrs then we would of won this past year and maybe in 2011 also. We consistently put them in 3rd and long only for Shaw to run what seemed like 40 yds to get the first down. Don't get me wrong, they had plenty of other players who made plays also but it was Shaw's scrambling ability that won them the games. Oh and our turnovers didn't help out to much either. I just hope we can win this year. If we don't I might contemplate suicide. Lol jk. But seriously....win d@mnit!

May 3, 2014, 10:51 PM

You do know, Shaw only played in two of the last 4 games vs Clemson. And Garcia was the starting QB in 2011.

May 3, 2014, 11:16 PM

Connor Shaw started and played in 2011. Garcia was already off the team. Sorry to disappoint you there coot. South Carolina is your team and couldn't even remember who your QB was? Some fan you are.

May 3, 2014, 11:19 PM

He was the backup in 2011 until Garcia was let go. Thought I explained that.

May 3, 2014, 11:20 PM

That was 1 of his 2 starts.

May 3, 2014, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson's Kryptonite: Steve Spurrier? ]

The above posters were talking about the past matchups between the two. You then said Garcia was the QB in the 2011 game which was incorrect.

May 3, 2014, 11:27 PM

Wrong...Garcia was the starting QB until he was let go. The point, is Clemson has lost to Carolina's backup 2 of the last 3 years.

May 3, 2014, 11:32 PM

Lol. They were talking about the Clemson game. You then said Garcia was the starter in 2011, insinuating that Garcia started the 2011 game. You guys are too bright. On a side note, why are you even here? Are you that envious and jealous of Clemson that you have to come over to see what's going on? I don't get it.

May 3, 2014, 11:36 PM

Just like being the smartest guy in the room. Thx

May 3, 2014, 11:38 PM

Yea, considering you were wrong in what you said and all. I guess being proved wrong makes you the "smartest guy in the room." Who knew.

May 3, 2014, 11:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson's Kryptonite: Steve Spurrier? ]

Although I'm 100% positive that being the smartest guy in the room is something you normally don't experience, I don't think you're getting that here, either, based on your comment history.

You might want to try FGF.

May 3, 2014, 11:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson's Kryptonite: Steve Spurrier? ]

Yep. Garcia was benched after the Auburn game. Shaw started 8 games to Garcia's 5. Somehow Shaw was considered still the "backup" by the Clemson game. Whatever. Haha.

not too many geniuses in your Mom's basement, I guess.***

May 4, 2014, 10:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson's Kryptonite: Steve Spurrier? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Lol @ this idiot

May 3, 2014, 11:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson's Kryptonite: Steve Spurrier? ]

Garcia was dismissed after the auburn game in 2011. Look it up.

Re: Lol @ this idiot

May 3, 2014, 11:42 PM

Apparently, he was "the backup" even though he had started 6 games that season. Pure genius, clark.

May 4, 2014, 8:42 AM

OK...lets put it this way...Clemson lost to 2 quarterbacks that started the season as backups. You good with that ? That is a fact....

May 4, 2014, 10:17 AM

That is irrelevant in every way imaginable. What about that is so hard for you mouthbreathers to understand?

May 4, 2014, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Lol @ this idiot ]

So he was the starter and the backup at the same time? I got the confuse...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spurrier vs. Dabo..... C'mon

May 4, 2014, 12:10 AM

Shaw had 4 TD's against Clem in 2011. Is that game blocked from your memory OP?

As far as dabo vs. spurrier...

Carolina fans say they want Dabo to be Clem's coach forever.

Clem fans rallying cry is that when Spurrier retires, things will get back to "normal".

What does that say about the state of the programs coaching regimes?

Re: Spurrier vs. Dabo..... C'mon

May 4, 2014, 12:36 AM

We usually say that because Spurrier has out coached dabo. I don't think he necessarily did last year bc of turnovers and shaw but the 4 games prior to this year was definitely just your coaching staff out coaching ours

Re: Spurrier vs. Dabo..... C'mon

May 4, 2014, 9:17 AM [ in reply to Spurrier vs. Dabo..... C'mon ]

I think we have a great coaching staff. A CEO type head coach that is arguably the best recruiter in the nation along with two great coordinators. We chose to hire a coach with no experience and we have suffered for it at times but overall it paid off. I would much rather be 11-2 at the end of the year and lose to a top 10 coot team than 7-5 and a win in the rivalry.

Dabo was outcoached in 2009, we had our first losing season in over a decade in 2010, the last 3 have been a combination of Slurriers coaching and the horseshoe he has hanging out his butt.

so Clemson is Superman? Thanks :)***

May 4, 2014, 1:00 AM

Isn't there a Gasoline Enema you should be taking?

May 4, 2014, 1:44 AM

I got a book of matches ready..

-Dr. Tesla

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

May 4, 2014, 8:43 AM

The ##### have done this before. If you will remember the Frank McGuire era in basketball you will know what I mean. And when Frank left the basketball team went right back to being crappy like it was before. As one member has said, SOS is a coaching legend, and kids go to Carolina to play for HIM. They don't give a crap about Carolina.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"They don't give a crap about Carolina." Neither does Spurlid.

May 4, 2014, 10:45 AM

It's all about him. He's a Gator, through and through.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

that's the same website that claimed Ellis Johnson was at...

May 4, 2014, 9:52 AM

SCU still, even though he is currently at Auburn. So in the future refrain from links to that site.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meh. Spurcock was 1-3 vs Clemson and on the verge of being fired.

May 4, 2014, 12:57 PM

If he had not beaten Clemson the ##### have nothing. The streak ends this year

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

"had our number"

May 4, 2014, 2:42 PM

is a cop out. Out coached and out played in the clutch, when it counts, at numerous positions. Let's call a spade a spade. Fundamental football - and not trickeration - is going to restore order in the universe.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic