Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 2,767

Serious question

Feb 18, 2014, 11:19 AM

I went to some baseball games when I was a student but I never got super into it as far as keeping up with things during off season/recruiting/internal politics and what not.

Why do people dislike Jack Leggett so much?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Because he's a HOF coach who has won a ton of games

Feb 18, 2014, 11:22 AM

and gotten us to Omaha a lot but has never won a national championship. That is unacceptable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

...and he likes to bunt a lot.***

Feb 18, 2014, 11:30 AM

null

Vijay says...Bunting wins championships***

Feb 18, 2014, 1:40 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ha I see what you're getting at from the

Feb 18, 2014, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Because he's a HOF coach who has won a ton of games ]

dumper's perspective, but in my mind getting to Omaha is hard enough and I'll take a coach that can do that consistently any day

Re: Serious question

Feb 18, 2014, 11:23 AM

I'm a casual follower. My impression from here is that the program has generally tailed off during his watch. I think there is also a feeling (not claiming it is real) that he doesnt recruit particularly well. Of course he walks the line between getting great players and losing them to the MLB draft. For a while a big debate existed here over him missing some local guys and getting guys from the north.

Again I'm ok with Jack but not a sunshine pumper for him. Just telling you my view of what I've seen here

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Style of play irks some people

Feb 18, 2014, 11:32 AM

Bill Wilhelm played for the big inning and rarely bunted. Leggett's offense revolves around the bunt. Anybody in the lineup can bunt at anytime. Other criticisms of Leggett -- station-to-station baseball, ultra-aggressive on basepaths (run yourself out of some innings), smallish players (this is changing), not recruiting local (Clemson area players - Wilhelm didn't recruit them either. He didn't want parents getting on him), tends to "tighten up" team in big games/situations. I bringing Bradley LeCroy back to the program has had an extremely positive effect that will pay huge dividends soon.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Style of play irks some people

Feb 19, 2014, 8:37 AM

Great post but Bill would bunt

Not nearly as much as Leggett

Feb 19, 2014, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Style of play irks some people ]

You would never see Wilhelm's cleanup hitter bunt. I remember asking Wilhelm why he didn't sacrifice more. "Well, hell, why should I give them an out," he replied.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They haven't bunted well the last few years either***

Feb 19, 2014, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Style of play irks some people ]

That makes sense but I would hardly think that's reason

Feb 18, 2014, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Serious question ]

enough to call for his head.

I've never followed baseball recruiting, and the way it works/the draft confuses me, but it seems that it'd be a whole lot harder to recruit in college baseball vs other college sports cause HS football athletes aren't being offered millions of dollars to forego their college career whereas good HS baseball athletes are. That seems like it'd be a hard sell for any coach.

I've always liked small ball, getting your players in scoring position makes sense in a lot of situations. I'm speaking generally of course

Too many losses to coots, and doesnt do well in post season***

Feb 18, 2014, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Serious question ]

He does do well in the postseason.

Feb 18, 2014, 1:19 PM

He's only lost a home regional once ever. We have been very competitive in other team's regionals, minus last year. We have been competitive in the Supers. He has a respectable record on the elite stage, the CWS as well.

Re: Too many losses to coots, and doesnt do well in post season***

Feb 19, 2014, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Too many losses to coots, and doesnt do well in post season*** ]

Doesn't do well in post season??? Did you really say that?

Maybe you should have said doesn't do well in Omaha

Niether did BILL but Jack has taken us there more than Bill did

The same reason Carolina fans were wanting

Feb 18, 2014, 11:55 AM

To fire Ray Tanner a couple of years ago.

Some fans have unrealistic expectations.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Point for your "Disclaimers" - regarding your question

Feb 18, 2014, 12:08 PM

Personally - I prefer to be totally random in my opinion of Jack Leggett. It can be based on the outcome of the last game, the phase of the moon or what I had for dinner last night. Occasionally alcohol affects my judgement - sometimes good, sometimes bad.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So what happens when there's a

Feb 18, 2014, 12:17 PM

full moon out, we just lost a game, you had a terrible dinner, and you're all slurried up?

Re: Point for your "Disclaimers" - regarding your question

Feb 18, 2014, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Point for your "Disclaimers" - regarding your question ]

Don't take this personal Tropical b/c its not. I believe in each to their own. And this is personal only to me and my opinion. But most everybody that I've ever met that was drinking, they should never comment to nothing that others do or not do. I may drink a beer on occasion, but I haven't ever had special reasons to drink alcohol. There are happy drinkers, and their are those that will always do their best to make others as miserable as they can when they drink. And there is nothing worse than a drinker that drives after they have that one to many and risk the lives of their family and every family that is own the road the same time as them. Personal opinion now, alcohol should be illegal in this country, period. I know there are many things that should be illegal in our country. But alcohol is the only thing that I know of that made/cause or what ever, made my daddy beat the absolute chit out of my momma. I hated that man up until my momma on her death bed, she said please stop hating your daddy, and he has been dead since 1963. That he was a good man when he wasn't drinking. I have forgave him, but there are many out there have seen the same as me b/c of alcohol. Nothing personal to you, but I do pray that you don't beat your wife or children when you have had to many.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some people don't like the fact he's a Yankee, others

Feb 18, 2014, 1:17 PM

are frustrated that SCAR has dominated us recently.
Others are upset that we have not won the ACC often lately.
While others are upset about zero national championships.

Though, looking at things holistically, Jack has one of the best track records over the last 15 years. Holistically speaking, Jack is as consistently good as anyone else out there, now that Tanner is gone.

"Holistic"?

Feb 18, 2014, 1:20 PM

Did you just say "holistic"?

Bro, the yoga forum is that way ---->>>

I'm sorry to hear that's your only contact with that word.

Feb 18, 2014, 1:24 PM

...characterized by comprehension of the parts of something as intimately interconnected and explicable only by reference to the whole.

Consider it a "GRE word."

Re: I'm sorry to hear that's your only contact with that word.

Feb 18, 2014, 1:27 PM

Well not necessarily; I've looked into holistic practices extensively & gave serious thought to attending a school for said practices such as JFKU.

Looks very interesting.***

Feb 18, 2014, 1:34 PM

Ok firstly,

Feb 18, 2014, 1:35 PM [ in reply to Re: I'm sorry to hear that's your only contact with that word. ]

we have a yoga bored?!?! Pics of wimmins in yoga pants on there???

Secondly, who is Gre and why does he have his own words

GRE is a monster who judges your intellectual capacity

Feb 18, 2014, 1:39 PM

and then spreads rumors based on said judgment to grad schools who are also judging you. Usually the monster forces other grad students to do the judging for him.

Ahhhhh see there for a second I thought you were

Feb 18, 2014, 2:25 PM

talking about Gru from despicable me :)

All valid points,

Feb 18, 2014, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Some people don't like the fact he's a Yankee, others ]

although SCAR has been very very good the past couple years, same for the ACC.

I guess since I've never been more than a casual fan of it, getting into the super regionals consistently is meeting expectations for me, while getting to the world series is exceeding expectations

My man 2012. As you know, I would love to hop in to this

Feb 18, 2014, 2:53 PM

discussion, but I might need to do so via another medium; or else it wouldn't take long before I was sipping on a fruit drink and listening to Bob Marley :)

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

Well in that case,

Feb 18, 2014, 2:55 PM

please by all means dive in ;)

You know, that is exactly the kind of

Feb 18, 2014, 2:59 PM

"what have you done for me lately" attitude that gets Clemson baseball fans in trouble. :)

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

I know nothing of these "Clemson baseball fans" that you

Feb 18, 2014, 3:12 PM

speak of.

I am simply required to maintain a certain level of meanness with coots. I've been slipping lately into friendliness, I apologize for this

;)

But seriously I am interested in your thoughts since you keep up more with college baseball than I do

You have been slipping. You need to get your crap together!

Feb 18, 2014, 11:42 PM

GWP can help. He is really good at it.
I tried to send you tmail but my dumb coot a** couldn't figure it out, so you likely either didn't get it, or got it 4 times. Sorry.

HA thought you were joking then look up at the corner

Feb 19, 2014, 7:50 AM

of the screen and see "3 new t-mails"

Did you miss the part in t-net orientation about how to send tmales? Contact bob about that

you mean I can address bob directly? I don't need an

Feb 19, 2014, 8:39 AM

intermediary? cool.

Yes but only very, very quietly. He's startled easily***

Feb 19, 2014, 9:21 AM

Orientation?

Feb 19, 2014, 8:42 AM [ in reply to HA thought you were joking then look up at the corner ]

There's been a lot of discussion on here about that lately...not sure I want to open that can of worms again ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

That's why you can contact CC behind the scenes via

Feb 19, 2014, 9:21 AM

tmale to avoid more bored confusion.

I thoughts thats usually how you do it anyways??

It's actually a pretty good deal for you Mr bob,

Feb 19, 2014, 9:58 AM

you get back 3-4 tmails for every one you send! :)

He ain't telling a fib neither***

Feb 19, 2014, 12:26 PM

Revisionist history is why

Feb 18, 2014, 3:10 PM

People love to get on here and talk about how wonderful things were under Whilhelm and how they have fallen off under Leggett. The truth is that Coach Leggett elevated the program to new height in his first 8-10 years and it has leveled off recently. Coach Wilhelm went to Omaha 6 times in 36 years. Coach Leggett has been 6 times in 19 years. The ascension of SC, NC, and UVa have also turned up the heat on the program.

People love to say he can't recruit but forget that he was the recruiting coordinator who signed Benson, Koch, et al. and signed numerous greats as the head coach including Baker, Greene, Greinke, Hermida, Boyd, etc., etc. The mans still knows how to coach and recruit.

Is everything the way it should be? No. Would I love to see things be better? Yes. We need to be playing at home in the postseason. Hopefully this year we will, but even if we don't, we still have a great coach.

Speaking of revisionist history

Feb 19, 2014, 3:01 PM

It was a whole lot harder to get to Omaha during the majority of Wilhelm's career because fewer teams played in the postseason. It's an apples and oranges comparison.

Re: Speaking of revisionist history

Feb 20, 2014, 2:51 PM

I would contend that it was easier if you made the tournament...fewer teams to beat, fewer chances to lose since the same number of teams made it to Omaha.

Re: Serious question

Feb 20, 2014, 3:06 PM

He is a great but not elite coach. He does not win championships(Conference or National) at a program that should be doing that.

I dont dislike Jack I appreciate everything he has done for Clemson. I also dont think the should be fired he deserves more than that. I do think he should name a HCIW and start to move in the direction of stepping down.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 42
| visibility 2,767
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic