Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some perspective on the hoops team...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Some perspective on the hoops team...

Feb 6, 2017, 11:57 AM

The last time we went to the tournament in hoops is the same year we went 6-7 in football and lost to South Florida in a bowl game.

At this point, and whether you like him or not, whether you think he has had the proper resources or not, whether you think he was left with a dumpster fire by Purnell or not, whether you blame the new ACC teams and schedule or not, whether you think he is a good game coach and just can't get the recruits or not, the bottom line is that Brownell simply has not gotten the job done.

I don't think most of us are asking for NCAA tourney bids every year, but we are clearly expecting more than one (and in his first year with the prior coach's players) every seven years. Regardless of our history and resources, that shouldn't be too much to expect. Moreover, why shouldn't we expect better? Other coaches at football-first schools have had recent success (Florida State and Miami come to mind in conference alone). We have a renovated arena with a national brand right now in football, so why can't we get good in basketball?

This said, I would love to see us go on a run, make it to the NCAA and BB save his job, but I just haven't seen any evidence that we are capable of doing so. Heck, at this point, it appears we may have had a better team last year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some perspective on the hoops team...

Feb 6, 2017, 12:30 PM

The question is not if CBB has gotton the done as he clearly has not. The question is who could we get that is better and how much would it cost? You see, Clemson is not a destination job when it comes to basketball. During our last coaching search there was little interest in the job. This time around we would likely have to throw a load of cash to get a known coach. The question is if we have the cash and if we do should we invest in in basketball or would that money be better spent on Football, Baseball and Soccer (three sports where we have top tier-national programs). Also being that Clemson is not a destination job for basketball, we are not likely to keep a coach if they have success unless we hire a name coach who is nearing the end of their career.

It is easy to jump on the fire CBB bandwagon but unwise to do so unless there is a clearly thought out plan.

Not so sure about that....

Feb 6, 2017, 12:41 PM

I think you have a well thought out and good post, but I'm not so sure that we can't land a coach on the rise and keep him here. Also, Clemson would get more recognition with football and basketball. Basketball has a bigger market than soccer or baseball combined. If the Tigers had a consistent top 10 football team, and a consistent top 20 basketball team, I think this would be a tremendous benefit for the school.

Also, a up and coming coach may just stick around. They're not all Rick Barnes. If we get the right guy, we can get a program builder who sticks around 5+ years. I don't think that is out of the question, and I would be willing to take the chance for a change. I like Brownell, and he was that "coach on the rise" but it's just not working out.

Re: Not so sure about that....

Feb 6, 2017, 1:40 PM

Seems like with the facility upgrades, with the success of the football team/compensation/commitment shown there it would be evident that we would do the same for the basketball program. We could not only attract a quality coach but also retain him. Head coach in the ACC is, imo, the pennacle of college basketball and there is some leeway at Clemson where there isn't at the traditional basketball schools in the conference. Sort of like what Cutcliffe has going for him at Duke in football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2017, 12:53 PM

The Florida State game was a stark reality check on the state of our basketball program:

1. This game was perhaps the greatest loss in the history of Clemson basketball.
2. The current coaching staff cannot motivate this team appropriately for the riggors of ACC competition.
3. No success in the ACC can be achieved without a strong inside game which this coaching staff has never
been able to provide.
4. The current one post man inside and four perimeter players scheme only cannot have success in the ACC
without a higher level of gifted players which we have never had under this coaching staff.
5. We are continually being outcoached by our ACC opponents' coaching staffs.
6. We continue to come out at the start of the second half at a lower level of execution than our ACC
opponents and we do not know how to finish games.
7. We continue to take ill-advised long-range outside shots during key possessions of games.
8. We continue to use our best player on the perimeter too much, he also taking too many ill-advised shots
from the outside, when his best gifts lie in his mid-range and to-the-basket play.
9. We continue to be out-recruited by our ACC competition, expecially in the area of nationally-gifted big men,
but rather tall project type players only, or transfers, who only end up giving us maybe one good year of
true productivity, when most other ACC teams are getting 2-4 years our of such taller players they have
recruited.
10. Our basketball program will continue to go nowhere as long as this current coaching staff remains.

The truth here really hurts doesn't it!!!! How much longer must we endure this????

Feb 6, 2017, 1:07 PM

BB is simply not a Division I basketball coach and anyone who thinks he is clearly does not understand the game/coaching.

Just look at the teams in the top 25

Feb 6, 2017, 1:43 PM

Places like Xavier, St Marys, Butler, Creighton, so on and so forth, and these are teams you almost always see making tourney spots. Sorry, but if they can field competitive tourney teams year in and year out, then there is NO excuse Clemson cannot.

Re: Just look at the teams in the top 25

Feb 6, 2017, 1:57 PM

Pioneer: Your post is spot on. Thanks.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic