Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sammy
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,925

Sammy

Jan 31, 2020, 10:25 AM

AVENTURA, Fla. -- Wide receiver Sammy Watkins said he's considering many options -- including one where he would sit out the 2020 season -- as he contemplates his future with the Kansas City Chiefs.
"If it suits me and my family and [meets] my needs, for sure," Watkins said Thursday when asked about possibly renegotiating his contract as the Chiefs prepared for Super Bowl LIV against the San Francisco 49ers. "But I'm really in a different space right now. I don't know what I'm going to do. If we win it, I might chill out. I might sit out a year. You just never know.
"Not retiring, but I might just want to rest up and chill. I don't know. I don't want to say I'm going to do something, but you never know. I might want to go somewhere else and create another Super Bowl team. So it's just all about how I'm feeling. I've got to sit down with my family, my parents and grandparents and everybody and just see what I want to do.''

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28600847/chiefs-sammy-watkins-ponders-future-sit-2020-season

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sammy

Jan 31, 2020, 10:35 AM

I mean it makes sense if you ask me. He's been riddled with injury his entire career. Then some other things I've seen is that he is a candidate to be cut at the end of the season for the Chiefs to save 14mil. Might be good to take a year off, train, and let your body get better.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2020, 10:44 AM

Agreed. Sammy has made plenty of money. He can sit out a year and get picked up for a 2-3 year contract paying anywhere between $4M - $7M a year. After taxes and fees he would bring home $1.8M - $3.6M. Nice payday and a good way to transition to post-sports retirement.

Jan 31, 2020, 10:48 AM

Saying he is prepared to sit a year is something I believe he has been instructed to say to keep teams from thinking he is willing to play for a contract below his market value.

Unless he is starting to lose interest in playing and wants to move on to other parts of life, which it seems is not true since he said he may sit 1 season, he is likely trying to let his suitors know that he wants a strong contract in what may be his last contract depending on his health and production.

It is likely a smart decision for him to sit if nobody will pay him well in the offseason based on his up-and-down production.

A year in a low paying deal is not going to draw more teams to bid higher for him, but a year out will likely have teams offering him based on him talent level and prospective value.

Jan 31, 2020, 10:51 AM

He may want to play the new Willie Mays Hays in the remake of Major League, Blade in the new BLADE reboot, or even FLASH!! We produce actors at Clemson now!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm sure the Texans could use you. Whatever you decide,

Jan 31, 2020, 11:15 AM

best of luck.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm sure the Texans could use you. Whatever you decide,

Jan 31, 2020, 12:39 PM

The Raiders could use another former Tiger receiver too!

Jan 31, 2020, 3:26 PM

After this game, hopefully, a win, Sammy will be an even larger
commodity and will drag in some big bucks. Just speculation but
its also my wish for this talented young man.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 31, 2020, 9:05 PM

posted a couple days ago

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,925
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic