Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SC police make millions by seizing cash and property. Most of it comes from black people
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 704

SC police make millions by seizing cash and property. Most of it comes from black people

Feb 1, 2019, 11:40 AM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/02/01/civil-forfeiture-south-carolina-police-property-seizures-taken-exclusive-investigation/2716045002/

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SC police make millions by seizing cash and property. Most of it comes from black people

Feb 1, 2019, 11:45 AM

Such forfeitures are wildly unconstitutional and it's amazing that they're allowed to continue.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are allowed to continue because $$$$$$$

Feb 1, 2019, 11:50 AM

but seriously, how easy should it be that if the party is found not guilty (or not charged) the property confiscated has to be returned within x number of days?

That shouldn't be a hard bill to pass.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Heck, don't go that far. If they're not even CHARGED with a

Feb 1, 2019, 12:04 PM

crime, return it. If they're charged you can sit on it until the jury reaches a verdict. Innocent, return it. Guilty keep it. Drop charges, return it. Pretty simple really.

I've driven around with $126,000 in cash before going straight to a bank. I was told if I get pulled over to call the senior partner in the law firm because I WOULD be arrested otherwise. Didn't make sense at the time, but it sure does now. Biggest deposit was over $300K, but that was mostly checks, etc. Lot of $$$ to send off with someone making $6.25/hr.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd be willing to bet the crooked sheriff departments across

Feb 1, 2019, 12:07 PM [ in reply to They are allowed to continue because $$$$$$$ ]

the state wield the largest influence on the legislature not making any changes. Only oversight they have is to get voted out of office - hope we can finally get rid of the POS in Florence County....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'd be willing to bet the crooked sheriff departments across

Feb 1, 2019, 12:24 PM

I've been following your sheriff's soap opera in the news. He's definitely a whackadoodle.

Re: They are allowed to continue because $$$$$$$

Feb 1, 2019, 12:23 PM [ in reply to They are allowed to continue because $$$$$$$ ]

I would imagine you'll get enormous blowback from the counties and cities.

Over the past few decades, police departments have become much more expensive to run. So it leaves choices. You can cut service, such as going from 24 hour coverage to 16 hour coverage, which could be political suicide, you can raise taxes, or you can get creative.

This is an example of getting creative. And it's absolutely wrong. But it creates the fewest political problems for local governments, because it allows police to avoid targeting the people who vote for them.

Until city and county councils have the guts to say "if you want good police, you have to pay for it" nothing will change unless it's forced upon them.

While I agree, I also believe we don't need

Feb 1, 2019, 12:38 PM

####### tanks and #### like that for county police etc. So part of it is most likely a budgeting issue.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Oh no doubt it's getting wildly expensive.

Feb 1, 2019, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: They are allowed to continue because $$$$$$$ ]

Getting cool tanks and #### ain't cheap...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

I read that headline like this...

Feb 1, 2019, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Re: SC police make millions by seizing cash and property. Most of it comes from black people ]

“SC police make millions by seizing cash and property.” This does seem to be an issue...I wonder...Most of it comes from black people”...oh...race bait.

But seriously, this seems kind of crazy...who supports these processes? Not the left...not the right...we ought to be able to fix this.

null

I could care less about the race.

Feb 1, 2019, 12:05 PM

It sucks on face value.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

is is one of those good old ALEC laws

Feb 1, 2019, 12:46 PM

it is how they fund their departments because the state/ county does not take in enough in revenue. We end up paying their salaries one way or another.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you actually know anything about ALEC?

Feb 1, 2019, 1:30 PM

Or are you just throwing around left-wing conspiracy theories?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: SC police make millions by seizing cash and property. Most of it comes from black people

Feb 1, 2019, 1:34 PM

Don’t break the law. Simple.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A lot of these people didn't break the law***

Feb 1, 2019, 1:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 1, 2019, 1:43 PM

A long long time ago I sent my buddy in California 1k bucks for you can guess.. This was maybe 1997. I sent him cash, because that's what he wanted. I used Fed Ex. It didn't get there, but when I tracked it the Fed Ex agent said the Charleston County Sheriffs department had it. I called the Sheriffs department and they said they thought it was for something illegal. They grilled me over the phone. Eventually they said if I wanted back I would have to go to court for it. I decided to just leave the issue alone. They kept it and I moved on.

Feb 1, 2019, 2:13 PM

We should congratulate ourselves. We've seem to have found a topic that we *mostly* agree on. Participation trophies for everyone.

Replies: 16
| visibility 704
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic