Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
R.I.P. Sportscaster Keith Jackson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 4,933

R.I.P. Sportscaster Keith Jackson

Jan 13, 2018, 11:02 AM

nm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WHOA NELLIE!!!!

Jan 13, 2018, 11:15 AM

My favorite college football announcer. May he rest in peace!

https://youtu.be/J8_5Isb-hd4

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Woah Nellie!***

Jan 13, 2018, 1:47 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

did he ever call a Clemson game?***

Jan 13, 2018, 11:15 AM

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

His first college game ever was Clemson vs. Duke*****

Jan 13, 2018, 11:22 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: His first college game ever was Clemson vs. Duke*****

Jan 13, 2018, 11:23 AM

I am Sad , He was the GOAT

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

oops sorry first for ABC (see below)

Jan 13, 2018, 11:26 AM [ in reply to His first college game ever was Clemson vs. Duke***** ]

He announced his first college football game for ABC Sports in 1966, a Clemson-Duke game that Clemson won, 9-6. "It was a hell of a game," Jackson recalls. Jackson joined ABC Sports full-time in 1967.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He called Gawja game and was very biased against Tigers

Jan 13, 2018, 11:59 AM [ in reply to His first college game ever was Clemson vs. Duke***** ]

the year after we won Natty. He was very anti-Tiger calling Ford a "cheat" and everything. He was like that for years, and I personally could not watch him.

Re: He called Gawja game and was very biased against Tigers

Jan 13, 2018, 12:53 PM

He was a good announcer how ever I never had any respect for him after woody Hayes swung and hit our player when we played Ohio State.Even on replay he claimed he didn’t see it which would have required him to be blind or lying and I knew he was lying because we all saw it

Jan 13, 2018, 12:02 PM [ in reply to His first college game ever was Clemson vs. Duke***** ]

That was Clemson's first game on color TV, and we students all wore flat brim orange straw hats with purple bands around them. I kept that hat for many years and wish I still had it. The late Phil Rogers made an acrobatic leaping catch from Jimmy Addison for the winning TD.

Jan 13, 2018, 1:34 PM

Hubby still has his orange straw hat but never could remember what the event was when they were given out so thanks for the update. Pretty sure it was free, given to all attending the game or was it just the seniors?

Jan 13, 2018, 3:35 PM

The hats were not free, and I think we paid 2 or 3 dollars each for them. I think they went on sale at the student center early in the week of the game. If I remember correctly, they had 2,000 of those hats, and they sold out on the first day. I still have my 1967 TAPS, and it shows many pictures of students wearing the hats.

Re: did he ever call a Clemson game?***

Jan 13, 2018, 11:26 AM [ in reply to did he ever call a Clemson game?*** ]

I just watched the clip of the ending of the 78 Gator Bowl. Jackson called that game.

And he completely ignored the Woody Hayes punch***

Jan 13, 2018, 11:27 AM

He was always a Big 10 homer.

Jan 13, 2018, 11:30 AM

Big 10 and Southern Cal.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: He was always a Big 10 homer.

Jan 13, 2018, 11:58 AM

People keep calling it a punch. In all honesty, it was a pretty pitiful "punch" ... more of a girly sidearm "cuff" to a big guy wearing pads and a helmet.

Still, it got Woody fired and rightfully so.

But, regarding the announcers ... that was an era when announcers and color commentators avoided making overly opinionated statements during the games and especially if their statements might seem critical of a legendary icon.

I don't think Keith Jackson was or would have been alone in his avoiding making a big deal of it on air.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He was always a Big 10 homer.

Jan 13, 2018, 12:35 PM [ in reply to He was always a Big 10 homer. ]

Sorry to hear of his passing. He was not our friend, but condolences to the family.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What I clearly remember from the Woody Hayes incident...

Jan 13, 2018, 12:52 PM [ in reply to And he completely ignored the Woody Hayes punch*** ]

Ara Parshegian was the color man on the broadcast with Keith Jackson. As the punch and ensuing melee occured, ABC quickly went to commercial. As they went into the commercial, Ara apparently thought they were already off air, and I heard him say, "That's the dammest thing I have ever seen!"

However, when they came back on after the break, neither he nor Jackson would say anything other than, "There was an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty against the Oh St sideline."

So obviously, they knew exactly what had just happened, but wouldn't say anything about it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just curious, did anyone else hear Ara say that? I know

Jan 13, 2018, 1:30 PM

I didn't just imagine it!

Re: Just curious, did anyone else hear Ara say that? I know

Jan 13, 2018, 3:39 PM

Ara said it, and I heard him. I think it was when they came back on the air just after the commercial. I kept waiting for him or Keith to mention the punch, but they never did.

Pretty sure he called the '78 Gator Bowl...Woody hayes***

Jan 13, 2018, 1:48 PM [ in reply to did he ever call a Clemson game?*** ]

A true legend, one of my favorites. RIP Keith.***

Jan 13, 2018, 11:51 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: R.I.P. Sportscaster Keith Jackson

Jan 13, 2018, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the info.
Rest In Peace Mr. Jackson and may your loved ones find peace and consolation through their faith.

Jan 13, 2018, 12:12 PM

Keith Jackson told the story many times about Coach Frank Howard recruiting him to play football at Clemson. Apparently, Jackson lived with his grandmother, and he was from Breman, GA. They sat on the front porch while talking, and Coach Howard kept spitting tobacco juice on the grandmother's flowers along the porch. Jackson said that his grandmother would not let him attend Clemson because of Coach Howard spitting on her flowers.

Jan 13, 2018, 12:21 PM

Perhaps, most of you are too young to remember, but he never really like Clemson based on many of his remarks - especially during the Ford years.

Jan 13, 2018, 1:01 PM

Clemson love, or not, Keith Jackson brought a spark to watching college football. I have hole in my heart...with his passing goes a bit of college football history, too. He, #### Enberg...going back to Lyndsey Nelson...they had a special knack for painting the game and its pageantry.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2018, 1:31 PM

Pretty sad when you can't type Enberg's first name...LOL! Censors!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was awesome to listen to and made the game come alive but

Jan 13, 2018, 1:06 PM

he totally whiffed on the biggest call of his career. He had to explain that many times and he came up with an explanation, not sure how that could happen though. When Woody Hayes punched Bauman, Jackson referred to a skirmish on the sideline, but never once mentioned that Hayes punched a Clemson player. How do you miss that.

Even on the replay, they mentioned everything right up to the punch and suddenly said they could see nothing.

As a side note, can you imagine any bowl today, other than playoff and natty, having that kind of atmosphere. And the Gator, now Taxslayer Bowl obviously zigged when they should have zagged when you see their standing today compared to Peach, Fiesta, or almost any bowl, wow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmoIjMr1BZs

Jan 13, 2018, 1:33 PM

He and Curt Gowdy were the soundtrack of my youth. I will never forget his calls in late 70s describing Bama running backs as flat bellied southern boys

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 4,933
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic