Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question for all you Engineer geeks..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1,202

Question for all you Engineer geeks..

Oct 1, 2014, 8:29 AM

What would cause my phone battery at Death Valley to drain like there is no tomorrow when I am not even using the phone and all the apps are closed? Death Valley sucks the battery juice out at an amazing pace.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Question for all you Engineer geeks..

Oct 1, 2014, 8:32 AM

searching for service

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Searching for cell signal kills the battery. If you don't

Oct 1, 2014, 8:33 AM

have signal, turn it off to use later when away from the stadium.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ This guy knows what he is talking about. ^^^***

Oct 1, 2014, 9:40 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because your phone is trying to connect to a saturated

Oct 1, 2014, 8:33 AM

network, and will continue to try even though it cannot connect. Same reason your phone dies whenever you're out in the country and you don't get cell signal...just that you have the signal and your phone cannot connect to it.

Just put your phone in airplane mode during the game and you'll be fine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

copy that I will try it Saturday...thanks***

Oct 1, 2014, 8:35 AM

Oct 1, 2014, 8:36 AM

Aliens need the juice--they like watching the games too.

Oct 1, 2014, 8:38 AM

Obama is using that energy to power ObamaCare. He sends his thanks for your support.

When your phone is searching for a signal .....

Oct 1, 2014, 8:44 AM

or constantly trying to communicate with a tower, the drain on the battery is much faster than you experience with normal use and is exacerbated by any apps that may be trying to update. You can get an app like tasker and set it to shut everything down when the service drops and only check for service every "X" number of minutes, or in the alternative, set it to "airplane" mode.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: When your phone is searching for a signal .....

Oct 1, 2014, 8:57 AM

Stupid questions:

What is the purpose of airplane mode?

Is there any time that you would have it set to that mode unless you did not want to search for signals?

I may start doing that when I take long motorcycle trips thru the mountains where I have no signal. I never really understood how airplane mode worked or why I should use it.

Uh...whenever you're...uh...on an airplane.

Oct 1, 2014, 8:58 AM

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Except on 9/11.....***

Oct 1, 2014, 9:16 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Except on 9/11.....***

Oct 1, 2014, 9:18 AM

My phone died while reading all these good answers.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

airplane mode shuts down all wireless connections

Oct 1, 2014, 9:01 AM [ in reply to Re: When your phone is searching for a signal ..... ]

Cellular, blue tooth, wifi. This is supposed to keep them from interfering with airplane navigation equipment. However, it is also a great way to save power if you are not in an area with connections. Having blue tooth and wifi turned on when not using is a serious drain. It constantly searches for connections and uses power.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Bluetooth still works in Airplane Mode

Oct 1, 2014, 10:42 AM

on my S4

It does, but whenever you first put it into airplane mode,

Oct 1, 2014, 10:45 AM

it disables everything. You can then turn bluetooth and wi-fi back on, along with location services.

Airplane mode....

Oct 1, 2014, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Re: When your phone is searching for a signal ..... ]

is a power saving feature that suspends many of the device's signal transmitting functions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Ummm.... Because SCjr sucks ?? Taking a guess here.***

Oct 1, 2014, 8:54 AM

Because D Watson is channeling all the extra energy from the

Oct 1, 2014, 8:54 AM

area

Oct 1, 2014, 9:10 AM

I think it is the earths natural polarization. Do you sit on the north or south side? One side drains your DC battery and the other side charges it!

So when phone is in airplane mode will I still receive

Oct 1, 2014, 9:23 AM

text messages or phone calls?

Re: So when phone is in airplane mode will I still receive

Oct 1, 2014, 9:33 AM

No. It turns off the cellular connection.

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Re: So when phone is in airplane mode will I still receive

Oct 1, 2014, 9:52 AM [ in reply to So when phone is in airplane mode will I still receive ]

No, airplane mode will cut the power to all of your radios in the phone (cellular, wi-fi, Bluetooth). You will not get any calls or messages.

The phone can still be used to play games or for other functions that don't require a network connection.

Some models also turn off the GPS radio in airplane mode, while some don't. If you still experience drain in airplane mode you can turn off your location services.

This will effectively shut down the GPS radio as well (unless the NSA has you on their list, then you can't override the GPS ;))

Protip: if you ever need your phone to charge more quickly than usual, airplane mode will also help in that regard.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks; but I do fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times. - Bruce Lee

Oct 1, 2014, 9:25 AM

Turn off roaming.

Oct 1, 2014, 9:38 AM

Turn your phone off

Oct 1, 2014, 10:43 AM

CU is using the battery power to fry all the food. Sorry !

Research doing great !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1,202
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic