Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Question about Notre Dame . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Question about Notre Dame . . .

Jun 23, 2012, 10:32 AM

Are they really that big of a deal? I don't get it. I remember well the glory days of ND under Parseghian and later under Holtz; they were possibly THE premier college football brand in America, with a long, rich history. But for the past 20 years ago, they have sucked. We talk alot on here about our hopes of returning to greatness, but at least we have had some pretty good teams along the way, especially of late, while the once mighty Irish have fallen much farther than us and for all practical purposes become irrelevant to college football. A lot of adult football fans today, not to mention young recruits, in no way associate football tradition or success with Notre Dame. As far as the TV contract with NBC, I'd think the network would be willing to cut their losses at the first opportunity, as ratings must be abysmal.

What am I missing?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

money and draw wise yes.

Jun 23, 2012, 10:36 AM

rather they arent that good in fb latley or not.they have a huge fan base.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

its about a hopeful future

Jun 23, 2012, 10:36 AM

Imagine what the ACC could become if ND,FSU,VT,GT,Miami,and us all return to our traditional selves.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TV sets in the most populace part of the nation

Jun 23, 2012, 10:37 AM

the part we just added teams in. 25% of the North American continent live in a 20 mile radius of Albany NY and the dominant college football brad is Notre Dame. (Catholic eyeballs, TV Money, Program potential)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

But their ratings on NBC suck. All of those tv sets you

Jun 23, 2012, 10:42 AM

mention are not watching ND football.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

yeah. they are going to have to win at some point to

Jun 23, 2012, 10:56 AM

maintain their brand. also with BC Pitt Cuse to some extent Maryland and for sure eventually rutgers. you almost have the equivilant of an in state rival in those populace states. its about who they are paired with also.

also think about the expansions game. who is left of the table that is a football school with national appeal. nobody. we can't poach anyone like notre dame from another conference.

If our goal is to get ND. the best thing that can happen is for them to continue to lose big the NBC contract comes up. the idea of a protected tv revenue within a conference might be enough to do it. The ACC is for sure where they want to be.

Here is an interesting article that somewhat argues your point.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/notre-dame-the-fleecing-irish-09082011.html

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Right - which is why I don't understand how Swofford could

Jun 23, 2012, 11:29 AM

present this as some kind of great deal that would strengthen the conference, especially if they are given special treatment not afforded to other members, and especially if they join as a partial, non-football member.

It just makes no sense at all to me.

- H. L. Mencken

You can bet that DOOK and the HOLES are all up ND's rump.

Jun 23, 2012, 11:47 AM

They want the basketball matchup more than air to breathe. I couldn't say ND being a partial conference mate until they execute the remainder of their NBC contract is a bad thing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ND as partial member keeps them from going somewhere

Jun 23, 2012, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Right - which is why I don't understand how Swofford could ]

else and leaves the possibility of joining fully. It gives us a leg up. That's all i can figure. ND is the last possible school that adds football brand out there. as long as they are on the table the longer we have hope we won't have to add rutgers and UConn

I think ND and NBC have come to realize...

Jun 23, 2012, 11:41 AM

conference affiliation is beneficial to their viewership.

ND to the ACC would be good for us, ND and NBC. I'm sure with the dropoff of viewers last year NBC would be more than happy to amend their ND contract.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wait! I thought all of the Big XII

Jun 23, 2012, 11:55 AM

Voices on here said that the ACC viewership numbers were irrelevant and that the ACC (despite the fact that it controls the entire Eastern Seaboard) is going to be the odd man out come championship time.:)

Re: Question about Notre Dame . . .

Jun 23, 2012, 12:09 PM

notre dame alumni are strong; they keep the irish in the conversation whether they deserve to be or not

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic