Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Power run game thoughts?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Power run game thoughts?

Oct 22, 2013, 12:30 PM

I know we have great depth at running back and our backs are great speedsters. As well as Tyson dye and Gallaman hopefully coming in to be power backs we have a good future it seems in the run game. But I believe that with 3 LB leaving and 6+ coming in I think it would be nice to see a couple of these LBs come in on goal line/short yardage situations especially since most played RB in high school as well as LB. Their bigger size and strength I think would be benneficial. Especially with our two "power" backs coming in next year with no game time.

Am I crazy for thinking this is a good idea?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Power run game thoughts?

Oct 22, 2013, 12:53 PM

The first option this season for short yardage or goal line runs seems to be Tajh-runs. There was a T-Net article on using a D-lineman for a jumbo package maybe a week or two ago. So definitely not crazy, but our current scheme doesn't seem to support us going that way.

Great Depth...no, just depth

Oct 22, 2013, 12:56 PM

Rod is probably a B- / C+ every down back and a B+/A- third down scat back.

Brooks is usually good for 3-4 yards but nothing explosive in the run game yet...a solid C.

I'm not sure why Howard doesn't play more. He runs with the most conviction and anger of the 3, but for now C-/D+

Need more talent in the backfield.

We didn't feature Ellington last year

Oct 22, 2013, 1:40 PM

So I don't think depth is the entire issue

Uhm, he ran the ball over 200 times

Oct 22, 2013, 1:43 PM

for over a thousand yards...seems like we featured him.

Yes, 96 of those were in 4 games- I agree

Oct 22, 2013, 2:34 PM

I agreed with statement about quality and depth- but

1. Clemson's scheme this year and maybe to a lesser degree last year is not to feature a power running game unless it is coming through QB runs.

2. Not sure that you can totally blame the RBs depth and quality if they aren't getting touches.

My statement is a comment about Tajh's touches this year and last year in the run game. Last year, He had 157 to 201 for Ellington, and 80 this year to McDowell's 89.

That's because you want a power running game

Oct 22, 2013, 2:39 PM

Tajh is our power back. 6'1 230.

Then he needs to pickup his production, 2.4 per carry

Oct 22, 2013, 2:56 PM

isn't really going to get it done, better to hand it to one of our featured running backs.

Re: That's because you want a power running game

Oct 22, 2013, 2:59 PM [ in reply to That's because you want a power running game ]

Tajh is a "dual threat" QB that is averaging less yards per run than a primarily pocket passing Winston at FSU. So to call Tajh a "power" running back is crazy. He needs to quit puling the ball back out of hot rods arms and hand it to the guys job it is to run the dang ball, whether they are power backs or not they are going to average more than 2.3 yds per carry.

You don't understand math or football very well

Oct 22, 2013, 4:22 PM

He is our short yardage back, which means he is really only trying for 2-4 yards a carry. We use him on the goal line and in 3rd and short as our power back. You're not going to average a bunch of yards trying to pick up first downs or touchdowns. So, if you has a 1 yard touchdown run or first down run, it isn't good for his average, but it is good for our team.

Sorry need to study up on dual threat Full Back/Quarterback

Oct 22, 2013, 4:33 PM

We all know that we aren't discussing only quarter sneak yardage. I think Tajh effectiveness is suffering and will continue to suffer due to us being one dimensional in these situations- basically Tajh-run or nothing.

Re: You don't understand math or football very well

Oct 22, 2013, 4:54 PM [ in reply to You don't understand math or football very well ]

We are not talking about only 3rd and short situations or 1yrd runs for touchdowns. They have been calling designed QB runs on 2nd and 3rd and long all year.

I understand that

Oct 22, 2013, 4:57 PM

However if you average a 5 yard run with a 1 yard run you get a 3 yard run. That is how math works. If half of his runs are for under 2 in short yardage, then the other half of his runs are somewhere between 4-5 yards per carry. I would argue that he has more short yardage attempts than large yardage attempts, which further skews the average.

You think we fumble too much now????

Oct 22, 2013, 1:59 PM

Try putting a linebacker who played running back in high school in on goal line where teams will try everything to get the ball out. High school ball security and college ball security are two completely different things. Your concept of more size isn't crazy but it's dangerous to put in guys on goal line that are not used to carrying the ball.

I think a solution that could be quicker in the making would be to actually get our running backs to find the hole and hit it hard. There is a reason Tajh carries the ball in short yardage and it isn't just because he has 20 pounds on the other two guys. We don't have a single running back that can read blocks as well as Tajh. He finds the path of least resistance and then hammers it in there. Our RBs can't seem to find that path and many times they are soft in the backfield looking for it.

Tajh is our best running option

Oct 22, 2013, 4:25 PM

I don't agree that in all situations that Tajh is our best running option and that our RB's cannot find the hole. The McDowell and Brooks are averaging twice as much per carry as Tajh.

Getting better at stength/power is MANDATORY if we want

Oct 22, 2013, 2:01 PM

to get to the elite level.

Re: Getting better at stength/power is MANDATORY if we want

Oct 22, 2013, 2:02 PM

Does Oregon have a power back? How about Baylor? Texas A&M?
Elite offenses don't have to have a power back to be successful on the goal line.

I know A&M does

Oct 22, 2013, 2:04 PM

Tra Carson...6'0 230

Their other back, Malena (sp?) is nasty***

Oct 22, 2013, 2:11 PM

Better game control and offensive consistency

Oct 22, 2013, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Getting better at stength/power is MANDATORY if we want ]

I know that this goes against the Clemson coaching grain, but an improvement would definitely allow us to slow the game pace especially when we get into situations where the game can get out of control quickly.

Re: Better game control and offensive consistency

Oct 22, 2013, 3:04 PM

Chad really wants a power spread game. I love this idea and I believe that he can get it. And if we could dominate and make them respect the run you can only imagine the possibilities. And keep the game control by leading by 21 in the start of the 2nd quarter

Chad's masterplan

Oct 22, 2013, 4:19 PM

I agree, I understand that the Chad desires power spread offense. However, he is both failing at power and spread at the moment.

Re: Power run game thoughts?

Oct 22, 2013, 2:07 PM

Power running teams run it when they're still 8 or 9 in the box.

Old Nebraska
USC under Carroll
'Bama under Saban
Stanford under Harbaugh

We are no where near a power running team and no, Spence and James Davis was not a power running team. True power running teams can run on any defense. They're committed to it and never abandon it.

A team that believes an out route for a four yard pickup is the equivalent of a run will never have a power running program. There is a physical and emotional difference that comes from picking up four yards between the tackles and four yards on a WR screen. I hate it when the TV knuckleheads say, "It's the same thing as a four yard run." No... it's not.

You mean giving LBs carries that the goal line?

Oct 22, 2013, 2:10 PM

Yeah that's crazy. There are a lot of dig collisions down there and couple that with ball carriers often trying to extend the ball to break the plane there are a bunch of fumbles in that area.

Giving the ball to a LB that is not accustomed to handling the ball in that situation is just asking for trouble.

They can't be any worse than we've been at times

Oct 22, 2013, 2:13 PM

Besides, I think he was more referring to guys like O'daniels...who has played RB in high school.

Yeah but half the guys on a CFB team played RB in HS at

Oct 22, 2013, 2:16 PM

some point. Heck Daquan Bowers played a good bit of RB at Bamberg and i believe he even returned kicks.

Just being a RB in HS doesn't prepare you for goal line carries and proper ball security at the college level.

Well that's a ridiculous way to look at it...tons of guys

Oct 22, 2013, 2:47 PM

come in as a freshman and do just fine...just look at Mike Davis, Gurley, Marshall...had Dye not been injured he may be playing right now too.

How is it ridiclous? Those guys are getting drilled as RBs

Oct 22, 2013, 2:49 PM

from the time they step foot on campus. LBs aren't.

Neither are QBs but that doesn't stop Tajh does it?***

Oct 22, 2013, 2:52 PM

Re: You mean giving LBs carries that the goal line?

Oct 22, 2013, 3:01 PM [ in reply to You mean giving LBs carries that the goal line? ]

I agree that you should direct snap to the runner on short yardage but not your starting QB! I say just direct snap to a RB or whoever in a jumbo package and take that from Oklahomans play book.

But I don't think you should use your vital starters for this but find a benched LB TE or what have you and give them the package and direct snap and dare the defenses to try and stop you.

The whole point being that is well unknown as far as a power running game past Tajh IMO. So take your freshman redshirts and start rapping them in practice. Get their experience up. Mainly ODaniel.

I think it makes sense in finding those bigger bodies on the team and not put those crucial QBs and such in harm

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic