Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Pick Play/Rub Route
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Pick Play/Rub Route

Jan 12, 2017, 10:45 AM

The two TDs (Williams/Renfrow) seem to be the talk. However, I believe the refs were correct in not calling either. I do believe leggett's was a little more questionable but I believe him turning to "catch" the ball really sold it as a route. The renfrow play, the defender grabbed and pulled Scott down.

Why is there so much controversy over these? Do any of you feel we caught a break on either of those?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Pick Play/Rub Route

Jan 12, 2017, 10:46 AM

Possibly on the Legget rub, but the last play was 100% legal.

Jan 12, 2017, 10:48 AM

That's the way I feel. Leggett was definitely border line but again, making a play on the ball/turning to catch it, made it ok I guess.

Jan 12, 2017, 10:49 AM

As long as the receiver turns and pretends he is a target, the officials will never call a pick play, even though they surely knew it was. If anything, the last play should have been called defensive interference or holding,

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2017, 10:49 AM

NCAA official statement on the last play yesterday, said it was legal and a "good no-call on the part of the officials."

Jan 12, 2017, 10:50 AM

Point the Bama boards in that direction. That's all the talk over there.

Jan 12, 2017, 10:55 AM

Let them cry. I've had that conversation with a few of them as well as a few Coots, and they don't care what the rule book or the NCAA says.

Jan 12, 2017, 10:51 AM

Charles Arbuckle said it best - offense calls it a rub route, defense calls it a pick play. Its run at least once in most college and nfl games, and when its egregious they throw a flag. Neither play was egregious and refs were correct to not throw the flag.

The usual answer to any question that starts...

Jan 12, 2017, 10:52 AM

"why is there so much controversy..." is that TV shows have to have something to talk about so people will watch. It's just for entertainment. I betcha it's not very controversial in Alabama coaches' offices. They know the deal.

^^^the force is growing within this one***

Jan 12, 2017, 11:02 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only controvesy because they got beat.......***

Jan 12, 2017, 10:56 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Imo,

Jan 12, 2017, 11:01 AM

Bama's coaching staff failed to teach their players how to defend that formation. After we pulled it the second time, and under those circumstances, I laughed. Fool me once, shame on you...

Clemson made just enough adjustment on what ND ran against FSU, a few years back, to make it legal. The officials were not about to change the outcome of the game by making a questionable call or ignoring an obvious one. All professional officials who have responded to questions about that call have said there was nothing illegal about that rub play. If the defender initiates or participates in first contact the play is legal.

It delighted Bama's defenders to make quick contact with potential receivers to interrupt the timing of our passing game. We killed them all over the field with perfectly timed passes and our QB having time to check down against 'The College BEST EVAR, COULD BEAT AN NFL TEAM, evar DEFENSE, EVAR EVAR!"

I LAUGH OUT LOUD AT ESPiN AND BAMA FANS for believing their own hype.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2017, 11:02 AM

I think if Leggett didn't turn around, they might've flagged him... even if it was a "late" flag (ie. after WIlliams caught the ball for the TD). However, on Scott, they would've had to flag both of them which would've only benefitted Bama since it would've taken time off the clock. I do think Scott was trying to run the route. Yes, he ran into the Bama defender, but the other defender was draped all over him so there was contact on both teams. I live in Ohio and all the Buckeye fans I know who were neutral even said it was a good no-call. Like some said, it was only controversial because they lost.

Even Paul Finebaum said both plays were legal...

Jan 12, 2017, 11:21 AM

and he's the biggest Alabama homer in existence and Nick Saban's personal Proctologist

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic