Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Past defenses vs this one
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Past defenses vs this one

Aug 4, 2019, 11:08 AM

2014: Vic Beasley, Grady Jarrett, Deshawn Williams, Corey Crawford, Stephone Anthony, Tony Steward, Korrin Wiggins, Mackensie Alexander, Garry Peters, Jayron Kearse, Robert Smith

2015: Shaq Lawson, Carlos Watkins, DJ Reader, Kevin Dodd, Ben Boulware, BJ Goodson, Travis Blanks, Mackensie Alexander, Cordrea Tankersley, Jayron Kearse, TJ Green

2016: Christian Wilkins, Carlos Watkins, Dexter Lawrence, Clelin Ferrell, Ben Boulware, Kendall Joseph, Dorian O’Daniel, Cordrea Tankersley, Ryan Carter, Jadar Johnson, Van Smith

2017: Clelin Ferrell, Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, Austin Bryant, Kendall Joseph, Tre Lamar, Dorian O’Daniel, Ryan Carter, Trayvon Mullen, Van Smith, Tanner Muse

2018: Clelin Ferrell, Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, Austin Bryant, Kendall Joseph, Tre Lamar, Isaiah Simmons, Trayvon Mullen, AJ Terrell, Tanner Muse, K’Von Wallace

2019: Xavier Thomas, Nyles Pinckney, Jordan Williams, Justin Foster, James Skalski, Chad Smith, Isaiah Simmons, AJ Terrell, Derion Kendrick, Tanner Muse, K’Von Wallace

Where do they stack up against those previous defenses? I think that we can as good as the 15’ and 16’ defenses.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Past defenses vs this one

Aug 4, 2019, 12:03 PM

Umm, maybe 15... just don’t have the experience and got some tough games to grow up in a hurry. Offense definitely going to have to carry the D sort of like 15.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2019, 12:19 PM

It all comes down to Dline and LB as we all know. If you rank the players for each position over the years.

DE: Beasley, Clelin, Shaq and now Xavier
DT: Grady, Wilkins, Watkins and now Nyles
NG: Dexter, Reader, Deshawn and now Jordan
DE: Bryant, Crawford, Dodd and now Foster

SLB: O’Daniel, Wiggins, Blanks and now Simmons
WLB: Boulware, Kendall, Steward and now Skalski
MLB: Anthony, Goodson, Lamar and now Chad Smith

I think Xavier can be the best DE in Dabo’s era.
Simmons is already the best SLB we’ve had.
I think Skalski can be the best WLB in Dabo’s era.

Can Nyles be as good as Carlos Watkins?
Can Jordan be as good as Deshawn Williams?
Can Foster be as good as Crawford and/or Dodd?

We’ll find out soon enough. I have high hopes for this defense.

Aug 4, 2019, 12:38 PM

As far as the D that we have had by the year, I personally don't think I've seen one of ours better than the 2018, and that is my opinion...As always without a meter to plugin, to test, different folks have different opinions....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2019, 1:32 PM

Yeah, I think you are right. But, I’m optimistic that this defense can be as good as the 2015 and 2016 defenses.

once again, The media will talk about what we lost.

Aug 4, 2019, 2:06 PM

And then by 3/4 through the season, we start to shine on the DL. And a few knuckle heads will start to talk about us. Then by the national championship they will, once again, be caught by surprise as to how good we are.

I find it comical the narrative last year about Bama being the greatest. it will rear its ugly little SEC head once again this year. Only to give us more off season fodder.

Ahh the arrogance...what a sweet taste. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: once again, The media will talk about what we lost.

Aug 4, 2019, 2:23 PM

AsheTiger it's comical. Clemson is far from a program that has to get "lucky" and have a so called "run of talent"! We have some of the best coaches in America who evaluate talent at a high level. They take 3 star players and have them perform like 4 and 5 star guys.
We will be fine on defense this season! The crazy part is the starters were both at least 4 star players. I believe both back up players were also ES-EC-PN 300 players. Darnell Jefferies, Ethinosa Reuben,Ruke Orroroho, Tayquan Johnson were all highly coveted high 3 star players! Two of which were only that low b/c they haven't been playing American football that long. Otherwise they would have likely been 4 or above prospects.

One LB spot will be filled by maybe the 1st LB that will be taken in next years draft. I. Simmons. Then you have Skalski and Chad Smith who have been in the system. Smith is going to be an excellent player, b/c all he did when he was in the game was produce.
Not worried at all about DE or the secondary!

In short, this years defense will be fine and fun to watch! I forgot about Mike Jones at LB. And Vonta Bentley - both will be beast! Jake Venables! Man!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2019, 3:01 PM

I agree. as I stated elsewhere, the same folks that recruited and trained earlier defenses recruited and trained these. plus, we were a much stronger team when we recruited these guys and, they've been getting exposure through rotation.

Aug 4, 2019, 2:52 PM [ in reply to once again, The media will talk about what we lost. ]

Yeah, we’ll definitely be challenged early against TAMU and Cuse. We might need the offense to carry us in both of those games. But by the end of the season, barring any significant injuries, we’ll be really good. As much as we rotate players, the depth will look really good come playoff time. I’m just excited to see al of the new faces on defense this year. And I can’t wait to see which freshmen will have the most impact.

1990***

Aug 4, 2019, 2:13 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2019, 2:20 PM

I think Sheridan Jones will be somebody that folks will be talking about and is flying under the radar.

Aug 4, 2019, 2:53 PM

Booth and Sheridan could end up as the best CB duo we’ve ever signed. I think both have incredible potential. Sheridan should still be in high school, which is crazy to think about.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic