Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OL Depth and Reshirts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,181

OL Depth and Reshirts

Oct 8, 2014, 12:44 PM

As everyone knows, we have a bit of a crisis right now with depth on the OL. Should we consider playing some of the RS OL? If we have another injury at that position, will we really have a choice? Would any of the RS OL give us a better chance to win out? And at this point, with a loss in the division, is burning an OL RS worth it? I know that OL is a position where it helps to give the guys a year in the system to get stronger and learn the system.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: OL Depth and Reshirts

Oct 8, 2014, 12:46 PM

Watch yesterday's press conference. Dabo addressed this specifically.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I didn't get to see...

Oct 8, 2014, 12:48 PM

the presser. Can someone summarize Dabo's thoughts on the matter? I'm also interested in what y'all think.

Re: I didn't get to see...

Oct 8, 2014, 12:52 PM

We are a chinese fire drill on OL. It has forced us out of the comfort zone as a coaching staff. This is the most versatility we have had at offensive line. We're having to be creative with how we split our reps. Kalon Davis will make some money one day. He has played everywhere including on gameday.

- Reid Webster has played everywhere. Reid will be the second team center. Region has practiced some at center. Riggs will be in the mix in the future at Center. He can function there.

- Guillermo will be out for the game but will get Gore back.

- I really see us gelling as a group (OL).

- OL is the hardest position to play in football. Toughest position to play early from all the things you have to do. Your job depends on this guy and this guy. The whole package. Its the blitz pickups, structure of defense. Its not rocket science but it takes a while to get it together. Technique is a huge challenge.

- Crowder is right on schedule. Gonna be a great player. Maverick Morris is another guy that is progressing. I have been around very few great freshman lineman.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Oct 8, 2014, 12:55 PM

Do we not have a DL that could make the move to OL like Shatley? My choice? Carlos Watkins. He is big, looks to have good feet and it pretty quick, what you guys think?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2014, 1:02 PM

So you want to move a premiere DT, who is going to start for us next year after we lose 3 interior linemen (Jarrett, Watson, and Williams), to the OL to accommodate for injuries for a few weeks. I think moving Carlos Watkins is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, to be honest.

Region??

Oct 8, 2014, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Re: I didn't get to see... ]

Is he even in the 3-deep on OL, even with the injuries? It seems like if we're considering putting him in at center at any time other than garbage time, a reshirt could be on the table.

Oct 8, 2014, 12:55 PM

Short answer, it would take two or more injuries to burn anyone's redshirt year. We get Gore back soon and Guillermo isn't done for the year. OL isn't a position where guys come in and play right away. Too big of a jump from HS to college; case in point, out of 14 scholarship OL only Battle avoided the RS.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2014, 2:24 PM

Crowder needs more PT. The kid is a beast out there. Once he does take over its game over..starter until he leaves barring injury.

Oct 8, 2014, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: OL Depth and Reshirts ]

Crowder needs more PT. The kid is a beast out there. Once he does take over its game over..starter until he leaves barring injury.

Oct 8, 2014, 7:03 PM

So I was off. We did move a DL to the OL, but it was Byers, not Watkins.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1. Props for a good call...***

Oct 8, 2014, 7:47 PM

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,181
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic