Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you think about USuC basically remade their entire sports
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

If you think about USuC basically remade their entire sports

Mar 3, 2014, 12:39 PM

program with 2 titles. They shifted a lot of fan support to baseball because for the 1st time they had a winner. They built a huge, modern stadium. It is still their signature sports program.

It led to success in football after 6 not to great years under SOS--he was on the hot seat in 2009 when he started this 5 year win steak. Basketball is not there but in those 2 baseball titles in their minds they wiped out Clemson's baseball history--which is of course Coot propaganda.

They are trying to do the same with football--to say they are the best program in the state from a historic view-- but we have too much on then in that--NC, numerous big bowl wins, numerous conference titles, fair share of hall of fame coaches, unique and national-wide celebrated football traditions, etc. None-the-less we need to beat them in FB and start winning more in baseball against them.

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure

Mar 3, 2014, 12:47 PM

"they wiped out Clemson's baseball history--which is of course Coot propaganda. "

Don't see it that way at all as a Gamecock fan and alum. I've never heard that discussed or even thought about. A Clemson fan might see it like that - I guess- but I think that's not correct at all.

We feel like we have a really good history too (playing for a national title in the 70s) - but of course we ramped it up big time consistency wise with Ray Tanner coming on board in the late 1990s.

It's not a matter of wiping out Clemson history (which is impossible so that's why I don't agree) but simply being consistent in our own right - which we've been for a long time now.

It's not just about beating Clemson in baseball. It's about positioning for post-season and playing well late into the year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jack is erasing Clemson baseball history***

Mar 3, 2014, 12:53 PM

Re: If you think about USuC basically remade their entire sports

Mar 3, 2014, 12:52 PM

I don't think what we have accomplished has anything to do with your history. You have a very good program and our rivalry could be considered the best in college baseball.

Not sure about the propaganda but we have 2 Nat'l titles and have several Nat'l Runner ups over the course of our history. That does not affect Clemson's traition and no one should think it does.

athomas

Mar 3, 2014, 12:55 PM

U realize we finished runners up in Omaha in 2002, right? We have been going to Omaha for a while, not like 2010 was our first ever trip.

Good point - and for

Mar 3, 2014, 1:01 PM

some reason, some fans seem to think South Carolina has only been good in baseball for a few years now and that's it.

It makes me think some of these folks are young fans who don't really pay attention to any other team except their own.

Re: athomas

Mar 3, 2014, 1:01 PM [ in reply to athomas ]

I think the key word is runner-up, not champion. if you think jack has not taken this program backward in the last years look at his record against and how much better the following teams in the acc we used to beat regularly are: Virginia, n.c., florida state, nc state, g.t. and on and on!

wasn't his point

Mar 3, 2014, 1:04 PM

He was talking about the idea that South Carolina just recently became good in baseball.

He was pointing out that we've got a solid history- including great showings in Omaha going back a long time.

We fiished national runners up in 75, 77, 02, 2012***

Mar 3, 2014, 1:02 PM [ in reply to athomas ]

Did you get 2nd place rings for that?***

Mar 3, 2014, 1:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Did you get 2nd place rings for that?***

Mar 3, 2014, 1:15 PM

If they gave them out, we would have 2 national championships and 4 second place rings to Clemson's none in baseball.

Want to compare national championships across

Mar 3, 2014, 1:19 PM

all sports now? He!l, I'll even let you count women's equestrian championships.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

stick to baseball since that's what was being discussed***

Mar 3, 2014, 1:23 PM

Re: stick to baseball since that's what was being discussed***

Mar 3, 2014, 1:33 PM

Stop telling people what to do.

Mar 3, 2014, 1:35 PM

wait a second...did you just tell him what to do???

Mar 3, 2014, 1:55 PM

thatsthejoke.jpg

Re: Want to compare national championships across

Mar 3, 2014, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Want to compare national championships across ]

Sure...1981 football NC to Clemson with cheating

USC...two nattys in baseball without cheating

Seems like a wash

Oh yeah...Clemson has the rowing national championship if I am not mistaken

Re: Want to compare national championships across

Mar 3, 2014, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Want to compare national championships across ]

Well if you want to bring in all sports and even include horses...Carolina has 8 National Championships versus Clemson's 4. I don't know if either school has a lot to hang their hat on in terms of the number of National Championships.

Not sure- but of course wasn't the point either.***

Mar 3, 2014, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Did you get 2nd place rings for that?*** ]

No, the point is all coots are the same

Mar 3, 2014, 1:24 PM

You want to bring up history when it benefits your argument, but completely ignore it when it doesn't.

Tell you what, you make your "point" and I'll make mine. My point is, nobody here gives a crap about how good your team was in 1972. This is a Clemson board, so what do you want? You want a cookie?

Well, you are incorrect

Mar 3, 2014, 1:29 PM

for one thing.

I was discussing baseball in the point made above in this topic. Why I would talk about soccer or tennis in a point I was making about baseball is obvious.

Not interested in your point to be honest regardless if it "benefits me or you"

"My point is, nobody here gives a crap about how good your team was in 1972."

Doesn't matter what your point is. The opening post indicated a misconception that South Carolina baseball is just recently good. That's why the history was mentioned in the first place. It wasn't pulled up out of thin air.

Read closer next time.

or not

Mar 3, 2014, 1:30 PM

doesn't matter either way.

My reading is fine

Mar 3, 2014, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Well, you are incorrect ]

I'm not the coot in this conversation

Re: No, the point is all coots are the same

Mar 3, 2014, 1:32 PM [ in reply to No, the point is all coots are the same ]

I guess I could say the same about your 1981 title which was 33 years ago. Isn't that a peach??

So when was the last time you won a title in one of the 3 major sports? Will be waiting but I think 33 years is about right?

You ever play for one in baseball, oh I forgot, we knocked you out twice.

Basketball, heck you haven't ever won an ACC title, now that is pathetic. See, we won 1 and we've been out of league for 40 years.

By the way, if an ACC team could win the next two baseball titles that would make them even with us.

My point, on a Natl level you have 1 title 33 years ago. Great job.

I think the transformation in the USC athletics department

Mar 3, 2014, 1:49 PM

has some similarities with what happened in the mid 70's with the rivalry. On the football level, the rivalry was pretty close (within 10 games or so I think) until the mid 70's and as we all know prior to that the game was held in Columbia exclusively. Whether legend or not, I always heard that after USC beat Clemson 56-20 and threw for late touchdown with seconds to play on 4th down, that the CU administration changed its mentality on the rivalry.

I have heard of similar responses by USC after the 63-17 loss. That loss shook the Athletics department to its core and there has been a steady incline since then. I dont think SEC money makes as huge as an impact as some would think. USC had been in the SEC for more than a decade with little to no facilities improvement when that game occured.

The qualifier here is that yes I am a Gamecock fan. However, I grew up in Greenville and spent my Saturdays in DV. I chose to get away from home and go to a school that I thought would help me either become a sportswriter or get in law school. It worked out for the latter but most of my best law school friends (and still good friends) were CU grads and were better prepared than those from the private schools in this state. I am that rare breed that in that I pull for both when they dont play each other.

I think bright days are ahead for the Clemson football program and basketball. Baseball is out for review. I do also believe that both schools benefit when both teams are strong. Historically, they have both been better nationally at each of their highest points. The reason, i think, is that when both programs are strong local kids form allegiances with either school and choose to stay in state.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic