Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Student tickets, The Hill and lack of attendance: What we've heard
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 121
| visibility 51

New Story: Student tickets, The Hill and lack of attendance: What we've heard

Oct 9, 2017, 3:21 PM

Student tickets, The Hill and lack of attendance: What we've heard

The number of students sitting on Clemson’s iconic hill Saturday was smaller than I’ve seen in a long time, and plenty of blame has been thrown around. Head coach Dabo Swinney blamed the fire marshal, the students blame the athletic department and fans and coaches blame the students. The truth lies somewhere in the middle of all of that.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If its bothering current players, then you know prospects

Oct 9, 2017, 3:33 PM

are noticing it. That space must be filled. Maybe its time to fill the stadium in there and leave the strip where the players run down as open.

^^^NO, NO, NO^^^***

Oct 9, 2017, 3:53 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hello mountain

Oct 10, 2017, 10:20 AM [ in reply to If its bothering current players, then you know prospects ]

meet molehill.

Seems that I recall that when student attendance dropped for

Oct 9, 2017, 3:35 PM

basketball after Purnell left, the ticket allotment was reduced. If the students aren't careful this could happen for football. Something needs to change and soon. CUAD has 3 weeks to get it right again.

I don't know how many times I'll feel the need to say it on here..

Oct 9, 2017, 4:38 PM

Many die-hard students are not getting tickets because of the lottery system. Unenthusiastic kids who don't want to stay the whole game get tickets above some orange blooded students who would be loud and proud for 4 quarters.

Do away with the lottery system, let the students who are real fans camp for tickets, and I think a big number of these issues are solved.

And we should stop rejecting people at the hill. These safety precautions seem dumb. I've stood for many big games on the hill and never had a problem.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't know how many times I'll feel the need to say it on here..

Oct 9, 2017, 5:43 PM

That would solve that problem as well as anything they could do. Student fans that love our FB program/players enough to camp out and wait in line, those will be the students that will still be on the hill at the end of the 4th quarter. When an issue that can be fixed as easy as this one would be to fix, why not just fix them, it doesn't have to be challenging fixing things that hadn't ever been broke until someone with power will break it!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2017, 7:20 PM

Yep. Should've never "fixed" the distribution system in the first place!

Dec 5, 2023, 7:05 PM

Thanks for communicating the very simple obvious fix to this. It worked for so many years why did someone feel the need to change it?????

Oct 10, 2017, 9:44 PM

We have Alabama moles in student government. Trying to destroy us

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Oct 10, 2017, 10:37 PM

They to enclose the hill. Had nothing to do with students. They are pushing then out

Oct 9, 2017, 9:00 PM [ in reply to I don't know how many times I'll feel the need to say it on here.. ]

Absolutely right. I like the idea of the students who want the tickets enough to camp for them to get them for themselves and for their friends. Any argument that the current system is better fails miserably, and the evidence of that has been on display at the last couple of ballgames. These students will fix this, if they are allowed to.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bam, there you go.

Oct 10, 2017, 10:22 AM [ in reply to I don't know how many times I'll feel the need to say it on here.. ]

This guy gets it.

Re: New Story: Student tickets, The Hill and lack of attendance: What we've heard

Oct 9, 2017, 3:35 PM

Thanks for asking the questions. I hope that the University cares enough to figure out a quick and fair solution so that the hill will be filled for every game. It really does take away from the Tigers' entrance when it is not filled. Surely there is at least one person smart enough at a top 25 university who can come up with a good solution prior to our next home game. I'll bet Dabo could, and he is a busy man.

Re: New Story: Student tickets, The Hill and lack of attendance: What we've heard

Oct 9, 2017, 3:36 PM

I honestly want to tell the students who are passionate and do attend and stay, I'm sorry.

Welcome to life young bucks. Where the 1% of $hitheads ruin it for everyone.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for this update. Any idea why student government...

...decided to disallow block seating?

Re: Thanks for this update. Any idea why student government...

Oct 9, 2017, 3:38 PM

If you've ever had 10 frat douchebags save three rows of seats and get aggressive with anyone who tries to challenge them, you know exactly why they did that.

Wouldn't that be MORE likely to happen without blocks?***

Oct 9, 2017, 3:40 PM

Re: Wouldn't that be MORE likely to happen without blocks?***

Oct 9, 2017, 3:43 PM

You'd think. But frat douchebags gonna be frat douchebags.

That's really the whole issue anyway. Entitled students demanding change for something that wasn't broken. And now they're worse off than ever.

Sounds like you just have an issue with fraternity members***

Oct 9, 2017, 3:52 PM

Re: Sounds like you just have an issue with fraternity members***

Oct 9, 2017, 3:53 PM

Lol. No. I do have an issue with douchebags, who all too often happened to be frat members.

But you'll take from it what you want. So go ahead.

It's ok. Point on the doll where the frat dude touched you

Oct 9, 2017, 4:02 PM

Your personal anecdotes definitely justifies the belief that most fraternity members are douchebags

^^frat boy***

Oct 9, 2017, 4:05 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In the flesh

Oct 9, 2017, 4:12 PM

They issued my ######### card when I graduated.

Re: In the flesh

Oct 9, 2017, 4:28 PM

Well, you're certainly living up to the card at the moment.

Exibit A, Your Honor***

Oct 9, 2017, 10:45 PM [ in reply to In the flesh ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

^^#########***

Oct 9, 2017, 4:41 PM [ in reply to It's ok. Point on the doll where the frat dude touched you ]

Do the world a favor...

Oct 9, 2017, 5:12 PM [ in reply to It's ok. Point on the doll where the frat dude touched you ]

and stay in the frat quad for the game. Don't take tickets that REAL FANS could use. Just sayin'...

Go Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do the world a favor...

Oct 9, 2017, 5:15 PM [ in reply to It's ok. Point on the doll where the frat dude touched you ]

and stay in the frat quad for the game. Don't take tickets that REAL FANS could use. Just sayin'...

Go Tigers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do the world a favor...

Oct 9, 2017, 9:08 PM

An extra TU for this double post! Normally, that doesn't happen.

there is a tremendous overlap in Frats and douchebags...

Oct 9, 2017, 4:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Sounds like you just have an issue with fraternity members*** ]

kind of hard to miss

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

99% of all frats

Oct 9, 2017, 5:32 PM

make the rest of the frats look like douchebags too

Re: 99% of all frats

Oct 9, 2017, 5:43 PM

Yep, I'll agree with that. It's a shame for the good guys out there.

Re: 99% of all frats

Oct 9, 2017, 9:07 PM [ in reply to 99% of all frats ]

They do seem to act like an entitled group of fair weather fans. If they don't use them (tickets), they lose them. It has been brought on by themselves. When I was a player, if I had seen this, my heart would have been broken that my fellow students had no more appreciation for our sacrifice than that.

No, the fraternity guys are ###### bags, so OP is entitled

Oct 9, 2017, 3:43 PM [ in reply to Wouldn't that be MORE likely to happen without blocks?*** ]

to sit in their block and do as he pleases because he doesn't like them. This also makes them ##### for calling him on it.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wouldn't that be MORE likely to happen without blocks?***

Oct 10, 2017, 12:27 AM [ in reply to Wouldn't that be MORE likely to happen without blocks?*** ]

Who wants to apply for a ticket and go to a game by themselves? Really? Fondest memories of the '81 Championship season was getting block seating and sitting with friends. This isn't a hard problem to solve. Student Government (or whomever has the power) should re-instate block seating so student groups can sit together. Geez

Oct 9, 2017, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Thanks for this update. Any idea why student government... ]

Not sure how your scenario is applicable here. Block seating is assigned seating with seat numbers just like any other ticket. Your group simply gets tickets together. At least it was when I was there.

Oct 9, 2017, 3:44 PM

And I watched those same groups STILL take twice their block allotment. Happened all the time.

No, it really didn't***

Oct 9, 2017, 3:52 PM

Re: No, it really didn't***

Oct 9, 2017, 3:54 PM

I don't know when you went to school or what your experience was, but yes, it really did.

Clemson 2009 grad. IFC member.***

Oct 9, 2017, 4:03 PM

Re: Clemson 2009 grad. IFC member.***

Oct 9, 2017, 4:33 PM

Cool, it was definitely happening then. Have a nice day.

And apparently proud doooooshbag ??????***

Oct 9, 2017, 10:47 PM [ in reply to Clemson 2009 grad. IFC member.*** ]

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

You actually allowed someone to tell you that you could not

Oct 9, 2017, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Re: No, it really didn't*** ]

sit in a seat that you had a ticket for? Really? I call BS.

It's just thinly veiled fraternity hate

Oct 9, 2017, 4:14 PM

Throwing darts at where the blame could possibly lie.

I'm sure he thinks BLM and the liberal agenda had something to do with it, too.

Re: It's just thinly veiled fraternity hate

Oct 9, 2017, 4:35 PM

What in the actual hell does that have to do with anything other than you being a pissed off frat boy who didn't like what I said?

Now you want to bring BLM and other emotionally charged agenda out of nowhere.

And you wonder why I think frat boys are douchebags...sigh.

You're about my age if you graduated in 2009. Here's some help...GROW UP.

I just thought it was a silly joke***

Oct 10, 2017, 10:48 AM

Re: You actually allowed someone to tell you that you could not

Oct 9, 2017, 4:30 PM [ in reply to You actually allowed someone to tell you that you could not ]

No, actually I got in a fight once as a student when they were trying to do it to beautiful women. And that's when I learned of the problem. But again, just like the other guy, you're going to take from it what you want.

Someone in the wrong seat and won't leave?

Oct 9, 2017, 7:43 PM

Call security like an adult. Frat boys may act like they own the world but security would fix that problem.

What would you do today if someone was sitting in a seat you have a ticket for?

Re: Someone in the wrong seat and won't leave?

Oct 9, 2017, 8:12 PM

I would do exactly what you just said. But I was 19 and hot girls and alcohol were involved. So, yeah, I punched a frat boy instead. Sorry, not sorry.

You punched someone and I'm the D-bag?***

Oct 10, 2017, 10:49 AM

Oct 9, 2017, 4:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Thanks for this update. Any idea why student government... ]

You have some serious issues. Never saw a problem in the "block sections". Sounds like he didn't get an invite.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2017, 5:04 PM

Some folks don't like paying for their friends.

you call those folks

Oct 9, 2017, 5:16 PM

winners

Oct 9, 2017, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Thanks for this update. Any idea why student government... ]

It's funny watching you all come to defend it so furiously. I was there, I know what I saw and dealt with.

And the few people who are acting like I'm mad because I wasn't in the block isn't helping the case, only legitimizing my assertion.

So. Keep it up. I appreciate the help proving my point even though that's not what you thought you were doing.

Typical frat boy, can't think an issue through so they just resort to acting like a 3rd grade bully.

why think it out when you have the numbers?***

Oct 9, 2017, 5:17 PM

Oct 9, 2017, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Thanks for this update. Any idea why student government... ]

Quite honestly, you are the only one acting like a child(more like a 1st grader). If you had anything real to say you wouldn't be name calling.

Oct 9, 2017, 5:24 PM

If you throw a rock into a pack of wild dogs, the one that yelps is the one that got hit.

You seem to be yelping pretty loud.

I had something real to say, based on real experiences, and during those experiences I found frat boys often act like douchebags.

I'm not sure I can make it any clearer, and even if I could, I'm less sure you could understand it.

Oct 9, 2017, 5:41 PM

My guess is you got in a fight running your big mouth and someone finally had enough.

Oct 9, 2017, 5:44 PM

You can guess all you'd like. I'm not surprised you're taking random shots in the dark because you don't like my story.

Oct 9, 2017, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Thanks for this update. Any idea why student government... ]

Yes that is the way it was in the 80's. But my understanding is when they last had block seating it was just general admission. The difference than now is that people in block seating were guaranteed tickets. This is what is not fare to general student body.

Oct 9, 2017, 5:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Thanks for this update. Any idea why student government... ]

There's no assigned seats on the hill...

Oct 9, 2017, 5:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Thanks for this update. Any idea why student government... ]

You took the words right out of my mouth

Oct 9, 2017, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Thanks for this update. Any idea why student government... ]

Sounds like we have a bunch of snowflakes running student government.

as soon as the team ran down, the hill filled in pretty well as the students were then able

To move across from south to north

Getting onto the hill right late has always been hard

Oct 9, 2017, 4:00 PM

But with the increased secruity over there it looks like it has just slowed down the process even more. Its a huge bottle neck over there that gets shut down before the game, then filled with people that arent sitting over there.

getting there early solves the issues and it looks like that happens for big games, but not wake at noon.

They are only going to keep restricting access to it until its no longer feasible.

While not as visible, the south upper deck student seats

Oct 9, 2017, 3:38 PM

were mostly empty last week.

Here's a pic...

Oct 9, 2017, 4:19 PM
IMG_3113.JPG(213.8 K)

...shortly after our 1st TD.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Oct 9, 2017, 3:40 PM

It's as if changing a process that has worked perfectly for the last 20 years was a bad idea...

Attended the 100th Clemson vs. USC game on a broken ankle from 8 hours earlier. Got a recliner in the endzone for the 100th game...it was worth it. Story in Profile.

they are changing it in the name of "Safety"

Oct 9, 2017, 4:05 PM

with too many people on the hill there are worries of trampling, etc. Now that have the hill on lock down to prevent any extra people from being there. This makes it slower to get into, and then you cant get to the visitor side of the hill for a little while until the team runs down the hill. That could be solved by people arriving earlier, but as we all know, Clemson fans are known for showing up early for anything other than a big game. Those extra beers in the parking lot are far more important.

Re: they are changing it in the name of "Safety"

Oct 9, 2017, 11:08 PM

They cited a couple of problems on THE HILL at the ND game...you think that the monsoon/hurricane rains that day (which may happen what, once every 20-25 years) was a bit of an over-reaction by the administration? They tried to fix a problem which did not exist...can we say "knee jerk"! They saw on opportunity and used the "Safety Card" to get done what they wanted to do for a long time and found the right excuse and time to do it. Old Fart '73

From my viewpoint in the South Upper deck

Oct 9, 2017, 3:41 PM

It looked like the West Zone club level was equally sparse in the second half. Are we going to talk about the affluent people bailing on the game, too?

That section is always empty. Doesn't make sense to me

Oct 9, 2017, 3:45 PM

to pay all that money then not use the seat. Maybe they stay in the a/c area?

nope, if you pay IPTAY you can do whatever

Oct 9, 2017, 3:55 PM [ in reply to From my viewpoint in the South Upper deck ]

show up or not, scalp tix, who cares.

if you are student paying tuition and get a free ticket you better be there the entire game no matter what.

Oct 9, 2017, 3:49 PM

Easy solution, change the policy to lower priority or suspend ticket privileges for students who receive a ticket but do not use or return it. This would stop a lot of students that aren't serious about attending the game from even entering the lottery and allow those that really want to go to have a better chance. At the very least by a couple of games in more tickets should be in the hands of students that will show up to the game.

How UGA handles this situation, FWIW

Oct 9, 2017, 3:56 PM

(from http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/2017/6/16/student-tix-football.aspx)

"Penalties:

The Student Football Ticket penalty system is operated through a point scale. An unused ticket on a student account will result in a one point penalty "strike." Two strikes in a given season deem that student ineligible for post-season tickets (SEC Championship and bowl tickets) and the following season's tickets. Post-season tickets will be determined by UGA cumulative hours earned and strikes received during the season (Priority given to undergraduates first). Students should confirm their ID was properly scanned when entering the gates at the stadium."

I've heard of other schools doing that as well. It's understandable that a given student can't necessarily make every game, but a policy like that can at least encourage them to return their tickets properly so someone else can use them if they can't make it.

Oregon too

Oct 9, 2017, 3:59 PM

(from http://www.goducks.com/sports/2010/2/2/24631.aspx)

"Football:
Students that pick up a ticket but do not show up for the game will forfeit opportunities to attend future contests. After a student misses one home football game he or she receives tickets for, the student forfeits tickets to the next home game. After missing two football games, the student forfeits tickets for the rest of the season."

Re: How UGA handles this situation, FWIW

Oct 9, 2017, 4:42 PM [ in reply to How UGA handles this situation, FWIW ]

This here is the way to go

AMEN this makes lots of sense***

Oct 10, 2017, 10:44 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Student tickets, The Hill and lack of attendance: What we've heard ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2017, 4:08 PM

The student ticket situation has changed almost annually the last few years. Having two kids there over the last 5 years, I know it all too well. Block seating one year, no block seating the next. Block seating ticket allotments that declined significantly even though the organization was larger.
Whatever the allotment mechanism is that is now in place is not working. There are too many students who want to be attending every game that are left out of the ticket pool on repeated occasions. As a Clemson grad myself, I am appalled. Every student pays a fortune for the opportunity to attend Clemson, and in my opinion, should have access to a football ticket for every game. How many student tickets are available vs. the current student population? I have not seen that basic information anywhere. My child is a senior, in good standing, taking the required hours, about to graduate in December and yet was not able to get a ticket to two football games already this year. Something is terribly wrong with the system. If you want the hill full of students, make sure the students who love Clemson football are somehow allotted tickets. This ticket fiasco will have a lasting impact on younger siblings that are considering Clemson (who, by the way, don't stand a chance of experiencing a game now from the student section) as well as future contributions to IPTAY and Clemson.

Students receive 10.500 tickets for all games. Approx

Oct 9, 2017, 4:13 PM

18,000 undergrad enrollment.

Re: Students receive 10.500 tickets for all games. Approx

Oct 12, 2017, 7:20 AM

And they want 30,000!

Oct 9, 2017, 5:58 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Student tickets, The Hill and lack of attendance: What we've heard ]

Nothing's wrong with the system. My nephew transferred to Clemson this year and hasn't had any problems getting a ticket for any of the home games so far. I can guarantee he has it on his calendar so that he knows when to go online to get in the queue for tickets. He also joined the student IPTAY Club to move himself up in the priority.

He's lucked out so far then

Oct 10, 2017, 10:51 AM

My daughter and son (both sophomores and IPTAY members) have each missed out on tickets this season.

This might already happen, but I really think that if a student attempts to get tickets through the lottery but isn't able to get one, should move up in priority the rest of the season. Nobody should miss more than one game due to lack of availability.

Also, anyone that gets a ticket and doesn't use it needs to be moved to the bottom of the list.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What we've heard

Oct 9, 2017, 4:08 PM

Why is everyone trying to make it so complicated. The student tickets used to be physical tickets that students would receive by waiting in line outside of the stadium. That was an easy, simple process. The issue lay in the fact that students missed classes to get tickets. The new system is sometimes hard to keep up with, especially when students are trying to focus on class work, and dates and processes for obtaining student tickets continue to change.

Message was edited by: Studentinvolvement

Oct 9, 2017, 4:11 PM

General admission is the way.

THE END

Oct 9, 2017, 4:12 PM

Todays problems are caused by yesterday's solutions

THE ADMINISTRATION FAILED

Oct 9, 2017, 4:17 PM

Where are the adults in the room?

1. Remove the barricades. There is more space to get people off the hill than anywhere else in the stadium. This isn't a fire marshal issue. If so, more openings at the bottom of the hill will be the immediate quick fix.

2. All hill seats should be general admission or at least the majority. Students you have failed. If you want to sit in the lower bowl its time to pay up.

3. We have a great tradition. Everyone knows about "The Hill". The administration needs to remedy this before the GT game. It better be PACKED when they run down the hill next time.

4. PLEASE LET THE PLAYERS RUN DOWN THE HILL! Not a two by two walk down. It use to be a force coming down the hill. Now is a trickle. Its pathetic. There's only been one injury to a backup kicker in 30 years.

5. The rest of the stadium has been nicely filled. Even the upper corners. This hill "issue" is my only complaint of the season.

The team looks good! I love the way Dabo is developing future players. 6-0!

#savethehill

Re: THE ADMINISTRATION FAILED

Oct 9, 2017, 4:36 PM

It now takes the team 1 minute 10 seconds to come down the hill....a trickle.

Re: THE ADMINISTRATION FAILED

Oct 9, 2017, 4:36 PM [ in reply to THE ADMINISTRATION FAILED ]

I think adding a student entry at Gate 5 would help as well. If the students aren't there early, they can't get to the north side of the hill until after the players run down the hill, unless they walk all the way around the stadium. That's why there are very few people on that side of the hill when the players run down.

That said (as others have mentioned), the lottery system doesn't work without penalties for not attending. You still may have people leaving early, but at least the committed people would be getting tickets in the first place.

They just need to go back to camping out. If kids are missing class due to camping out, they are doing it wrong. Usually there are 20ish people per tent. Surely 1 out of 20 people won't have a class during any given class period. Just need better planning to make sure no one is missing classes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The players cant run because of the photographers

Oct 9, 2017, 4:47 PM [ in reply to THE ADMINISTRATION FAILED ]

Have you noticed how many press are gathered around the goalpost? There is very little room between the fence, the press and then the band.

look at the bottleneck and the bottom in these pics (google image search)

Oct 9, 2017, 4:18 PM

I'm not going to read all the posts of opinions on this issue. Ticket issue and entry are the responsibility of the University. End of discussion. If they want to change things, then they have to lead. This whole topic is just....wrong. Get it right, right away folks.

As a former student, I know their hearts are true Tiger. Suggest boundaries for compliance and let them shine. We love the Tigers

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2017, 4:24 PM

I guess gone are the days I stood at the gates, not just as a freshman but through senior year 2 hours before game time and sprinted against others to be front row of the hill. Great games viewed from there...hanging from 2 goal posts (and then that was the end of that) and memories I'll never forget. What happened to camping out for tickets? Rotating in and out of the tent with friends?

Sad to see this.

Oct 9, 2017, 4:24 PM

So they reduced the number of tickets due to injuries at the ND game? There is one glaring difference in that game vs the rest. Wet grass on a slope and sneakers are a broken arm, wrist, or tail bone waiting to happen. Gravity is extremely efficient.

Oct 9, 2017, 9:08 PM

The whole situation is an embarrassment - all parties involved - students, administration, student government, can do better.

Knee jerk reaction to a 1,000 year flood. Just real, real stupid to reduce the tickets on the hill by about 20% due to the flood, if that is factual.

Putting fences up on The Hill ????? Just real dumb!!!!

Sleeping late and playing video games on game day can wait till another day.

Students at Camp Randall in Madison, Wisconsin have a 11:00 am kickoff to deal with when they are on tv for a noon tv appearance on the east coast. They show up for kickoff and don't whine.

Get off your A$$, and go support your team!!!!!!! Snow, rain, hot cold, early, late, hungover, not hungover, don't matter!!!!

Now, this Tiger feels a little better.

Go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make the Hill great again!***

Oct 9, 2017, 4:28 PM

Oct 9, 2017, 4:29 PM

What ever happened to seniors get tickets Monday, juniors Tuesday, sophomores Wednesday, and freshman Thursday?

You want to sit in a group? Great, your group is defined by the least senior person.

Never had a problem, but there were fewer students way back then.

Oct 9, 2017, 6:04 PM

It's still done by class priority with any students who are members of the student IPTAY club getting first dibs, then it's by seniors, juniors, sophomores and freshman.

Oct 9, 2017, 9:16 PM

There wasn't a student IPTAY back in the day with prioriry given to some and shouldn't be today. Not every student can afford this and this takes away from the overall experience. A student is a student and they should all be treated the same. No Student IPTAY, no sorority or fraternity preferences, line up at the gate before the game (or camp out) and have a first come, first serve policy starting 2 hours before the game. Now you have student fans who really want to be there.

Oct 9, 2017, 8:41 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Student tickets, The Hill and lack of attendance: What we've heard ]

I agree. I was a student from 1980-1984 and we camped out for tickets in groups. That was the only way to get a "block" together. Guarantee students who do that will get there in time and stay till the end!!

The Hill is easy to fix. Only sell student tix for the hill

Oct 9, 2017, 4:39 PM

but still let kids/teenagers with regular seats sit there if they want. If the students fill it up before the team runs down the hill, those folks have to go back to their seats. If not, or if the students start leaving (like Kent, BC, WFU) then other folks can move over there. Its stupid to have a "student ID only" policy in the 4th quarter if the students aren't there.

Its pretty much just common sense that worked since 1942.

BLUF: The desired result is a FULL HILL. It WASN'T BROKE,

Oct 9, 2017, 4:43 PM

so the "Fixes" that broke the Hill need to be UNDONE.

If there were some related problems, the RESULT should NEVER have been sacrificed in order to fix the related problems.

Anyone heard of LEADERSHIP and PROBLEM SOLVING????

Here are some considerations:

1. Block fraternity problems? Take all those currently-available "gate guards" and put them where they are needed to enforce the seating arrangements.

2. Student tickets: Use their ID both for dispersing the tickets and scanning the tickets. If they "no-show," they get penalized.

3. If students are not on The Hill by a certain point in pre-game, open The Hill to the general public. The Hill's attendance should be held to certain standard expectations: It must be filled to inspire the players and fans and continue the tradition of running down The Hill. If the ticketholders cannot meet their responsibilities (no matter what reasonable delays may happen), The Hill should be opened to the general public.

4. Resume sales of general admission tickets for The Hill and implement corrective actions to prevent what happened to stop it in the first place.

5. If there is a safety concern, FIX THE SAFETY CONCERN, but ensure that it does not in effect remove the result of a full Hill.

5. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Again: Required Result: FULL HILL. No one wants to hear about all of the problems that now, after all of these years, have surfaced. Make it happen.

Oct 9, 2017, 4:47 PM

It could be that a number of students were concerned about midterms and had that as a priority.

Sounds like student government effed it up when they quit

Oct 9, 2017, 5:01 PM

allowing groups to purchase blocks. Kids want to sit with their friends. How would you like it if you bought season tickets, but couldn't sit with your family?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sounds like student government effed it up when they quit

Oct 9, 2017, 5:17 PM

They can sit together. Just come in together

Oct 9, 2017, 5:14 PM

Don't want Admin. to clarify I want them to FIX the problem!!!!

back in the day ( 1976, 1977-- I went as high school student

Oct 9, 2017, 5:16 PM

'borrowing' a student id from student. Great times.

Re: back in the day ( 1976, 1977-- I went as high school student

Oct 9, 2017, 10:52 PM

Handing ID's through fences to your friends from The Citadel etc the good ole days!

Re: back in the day ( 1976, 1977-- I went as high school student

Oct 9, 2017, 10:52 PM [ in reply to back in the day ( 1976, 1977-- I went as high school student ]

Handing ID's through fences to your friends from The Citadel etc the good ole days!

I was guaranteed football tickets when I was a student.

Oct 9, 2017, 5:33 PM

As far as I'm concerned, the students should be guaranteed tickets.

Blaming the fire marshall is a lame excuse

Oct 9, 2017, 5:33 PM

If it really was an issue, the university/athletic dept. would've been piled up with fines by now. The issue I see is the barricades at the top of the hill. Completely stupid. I don't know if anyone has noticed - but there's been a surge in EPI security people since I've been a student. There is an overwhelming presence of these people because some people do not know how to act in public, and the entire student body suffers as a result. I too love to stand on the hill (I did for every home game both 2015 & 16). I wouldn't be surprised if the athletic dept. comes out with a strike system mentioned here in the comments. I'm all for that.

Lotta seats remained empty after halftime

Oct 9, 2017, 5:58 PM

And they weren't student seats.

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: Lotta seats remained empty after halftime

Oct 9, 2017, 6:18 PM

SHHHHHH. Don't come in here with those FACTS.

Oct 9, 2017, 7:40 PM

Let the freshman go on the hill and the Bridge kids! Too many kids in the upper deck too far removed!

Use Them Or Lose Them!

Oct 9, 2017, 9:02 PM

Students beware! You have the opportunity to wield your power by attending the games and showing your support. If you won't, others will.

Cover-Up

Oct 9, 2017, 10:39 PM

When I read:
"No one seems to know for sure when it happened but, general admission tickets are no longer sold for the hill." I smell cover-up. As heavily administrated as the entire football program (including tickets) is, some one knows. Why are general admission tickets no longer available for the hill? And who made this decision?
FILL THE HILL
FILL THE STUDENT SECTION

I'll tell you the exact cause.

Oct 9, 2017, 11:01 PM

Not one of these little chits ever had to live through a bad (4 loss) season. They have no ####### clue what Clemson has gone through in the last 25+ years. They've never really thirsted or hungered for a win. They've never done without.

They are spoiled ### rotten and just don't appreciate what they have. Someday when Dabo is dead or gone these little ###### and the rottenass fans who are complaining about us not blowing teams out will get a clue.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2017, 10:11 AM

Steps to success:
1. Change the ticketing distribution to reduce students participation/attendance. ( bonus: this reduces personnel to distribute ticketing ! )
2. Barricade and isolate the hill to further reduce attendance numbers.
3. Point attention to the lack of attendance. What is wrong with the students?
4. Give the ruse of trying to correct the matter/"problem".
5. Change the distribution again – moving students to upper deck seats. (may be combined with step 6:)
6. Require students to buy/purchase tickets like every other school after the majority of fans/public are frustrated and angry with them.
7. Remodel lower area do you add more seating to make more $$ ( it will be very nice! )
8. Hope no one notices any of the above steps are taking place... And if they do, so you're working on the "problem".
- the "admini$traction"

Oct 10, 2017, 6:21 PM

Make the hill general admission, and CHEAP. When I was in middle and high school we always got hill tickets. It was great for kids not wanting to be trapped in the stands. Or just leave the whole hill bare except for the girl that was in the sundress at the wake game. Mountains on the Hill!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It worked in the 80s

Oct 10, 2017, 10:33 PM

Go back to the '80s when I was at Clemson:
Stand in line for tickets (camping overnight for biggest games)
Queue Priority by year (Seniors 1st, then Juniors...)
Freshmen get Upper deck or General Admission -- GA can be used for the Hill & most fun place to sit 1st year

Students:
There are only 7 home games. Go to every game!
Stay from beginning to end, win or lose, rain or shine
Yell until you can't talk anymore -- home field advantage is real
You are there at an amazing time in Clemson football history, don't take it for granted.

Oct 11, 2017, 11:14 PM

The witch is midterm exams. Clemson has a high academic ranking for a reason...it is not all about football.

Oct 12, 2017, 5:13 AM

Everyone who thinks the students are not showing up must not know a current student at Clemson!! This is definitely the administration covering up their mistakes ! Every game my daughter has several friends who do not get tickets even though they follow all of the rules for "on-line" tickets. Many of these kids are SENIORS! Furthermore when they do get tickets, they have to leave the tailgate at minimum an hour before the game starts otherwise they won't get to their seats before kickoff because of the HUGE lines holding them up with scanning ids especially when they have to sit in the upper deck. The HILL was BLOCKED off , why else would it only be empty on one side! Please open your eyes and realize that the administration created this issue not the students. Others have mentioned too, they are dumping the students in the upper deck....that is where my daughter gets put each game. I was at Clemson in the 80's and only had to sit there once. My son graduated in 2016 and only had to sit there once . So when the hill is empty, it certainly isn't the students fault. If the students actually get a ticket and then make it through the hour long wait to get inside, they are sitting in the upper deck. I feel like I need to mention that the traffic for the 12 noon games has been horrid compared to previous seasons. Not sure if the same people who made these rules up about the new ticket allotment Also changed the game day traffic staffing. Traffic doesn't move, and there really is no explanation. have to be parked by minimum 8:30 am or you just might miss the kick off because you get stuck in traffic. So many students live off campus now a days too so it makes it hard to get there on time too. Before you say they should not live off campus, know that there are not enough dorms available to accommodate all of the students.

Replies: 121
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic