Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Names
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1,089

Names

Jun 11, 2020, 6:10 PM

Why has there been so much interest in naming things after slave owners/white supremacists/known racists instead of abolitionists/freedom fighters/civil rights activists? The history and positions of those honored concerning race were always known but ignored as if decision makers just didn’t care how these monuments would offend black people. Or maybe that was the intent....

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you learn nothing, learn which board to post your message***

Jun 11, 2020, 6:19 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you learn nothing, learn which board to post your message***

Jun 11, 2020, 6:37 PM

Yes massa

Re: Names

Jun 11, 2020, 6:42 PM

Buildings should only be named after celebrities with the most Twitter followers. That way you know they’re inspiring and set good examples that we should all follow.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jun 11, 2020, 6:46 PM

Or just don’t name them after murdering racist white supremacists. That should be easy.

Jun 11, 2020, 6:57 PM

To be safe we could just number them. Old Main could be Building 1, Sikes Building 2, the Harvey and Lucinda Gantt Multicultural Center Building 3, etc. Order them anyway to want to make everyone happy.

Then you could say stuff like “gotta run, I’m going to be late to my social justice class in Building 17.” No one could feel oppressed by a building again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jun 11, 2020, 7:05 PM

It’s funny that the idea of being oppressed by a building floats around. It’s not the building its the people that support naming buildings after white supremacists that are oppressors. If people support honoring racists then how do those people deal with minorities in their daily lives. No one wants to name buildings after Nazis but expect blacks to be unbothered by buildings honoring their oppressors.

Jun 11, 2020, 7:16 PM

There’s nothing funny about being terrified by a building’s name. Just make it a numeral.

Jun 12, 2020, 7:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Names ]

Name one black person that ever attended Clemson that was oppressed by Calhoun, Tillman, or Clemson.....go...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2020, 7:00 PM

You’re right! We should name a road after Martin Luther King Jr. because that hasn’t been done before. Maybe we should name some stuff after Lincoln too!

Jun 11, 2020, 7:11 PM

Or just do some research and identify some great S.C. natives that weren’t racists or white supremacists deserving of having their name on a building at Clemson. There have to be some SC historical figures that don’t have a racist history right.

Denmark Vesey has a monument in Charleston

Jun 11, 2020, 7:22 PM

but I wouldn't mind naming a building for him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark_Vesey

Henry Mouzon (my great-great...grandfather) would be another good choice.

"Henry Mouzon II was a colonial era patriot and renowned civil engineer. He prepared the definitive survey of the North and South Carolina Colonies prior to the start of the American Revolutionary War. He served as an Officer of the Continental Line and as a Militia Officer in Francis Marion’s Brigade, where he distinguished himself in the Battle of Black Mingo."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Mouzon

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2020, 7:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Names ]

You’re crazy. MLK was a Repub. Cant have that.

This Lincoln? The "Greath Emancipator?"

Jun 11, 2020, 11:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Names ]

"I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races... I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will for ever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be a position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race." -- Abraham Lincoln in fourth Douglas-Lincoln Debate, Charleston, S.C.

Re: Sounds Like He Struggled Mentally With It All ---

Jun 12, 2020, 1:01 AM

Then there was everybody else who were riding a multi-generational high after winning wars with the Indians and the British......they all thought it was always going to be this way amd thought they were right. So they put up a plethora of statues and monuments and put their GOOD NAMES on buildings...because this is the way they wanted to be remembered.....because they NEVER expected things to change. Kind of how women think its the most epic thing to put 50 tattoos on their bodies.

Jun 11, 2020, 8:14 PM

IN MANY CASES THEY WERE USED TO BE SYMBOLS TO INTIMIDATE

Replies: 15
| visibility 1,089
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic