Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NCAA changes and large market schools
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,298

NCAA changes and large market schools

Oct 29, 2019, 8:59 PM

I wonder, as with pro sports, if a rules change permitting cashing in on one's likeness will lead to a huge competitive advantage for schools with national exposure or who are in large markets. Would UCLA be able to sell a kid that their market would generate more exposure for a kid than Ole Miss and Nebraska? Schools with a regional following wouldn't be able to sell a kid on how they can promote and market them for potential big bucks. Notre Dame would immediately have a huge advantage with their NBC contract.

This is the beginning of the end of amateurism and the beginning of auctioning kids and further separation of the haves from the have nots. Glad our TV ratings have been incredible lately. Maybe makes ACCN and SEC network more important.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Want to give up 50% of your paycheck in taxes?

Oct 29, 2019, 9:05 PM

Play for a school in California.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wonder if that would incentivize WA, TX, TN, etc.

Oct 29, 2019, 9:33 PM

Bet you have a point there...which could make schools in states without state income taxes even more appealing. Schools like Texas A and M in huge Houston market and no state income tax...or even crap Tennessee (no state taxes) would have another less obvious advantage.

I predict UNLV to become a powerhouse in 5 years

Oct 29, 2019, 9:51 PM

Derek Carr backloaded his contract so he would get most of his money after the Raiders move to Vegas for tax reasons. It’ll be interesting to see how taxes could impact recruiting from here on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Want to give up 50% of your paycheck in taxes?

Oct 30, 2019, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Want to give up 50% of your paycheck in taxes? ]

Keep your residency outside of California and deal with corporations with home offices outside of California. In state tuition is not a factor when you are on scholarship.

Re: NCAA changes and large market schools

Oct 29, 2019, 9:54 PM

No income tax states are going to love this new rule

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2019, 8:42 AM

Which is why the Florida pro teams are currently dominating all of the professional sports.

Oct 30, 2019, 9:06 AM

If it’s like the pros, the players will have to pay taxes in each different state they play in based on a percentage of their income earned in that state. Their actual taxes would be difficult to predict.

Oct 30, 2019, 9:11 AM

You're confusing pay for play vs pay for royalties.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Oct 30, 2019, 10:30 AM

Maybe. However what’s to stop a player from having an associate sell his merch at away games? Maybe charge for some selfies and autographs while in another state?

Unless this next step towards compensation has the

Oct 29, 2019, 10:13 PM

proper limits in place to prevent simply getting outbought by the giant state schools and bigger markets, we're looking at maybe a group of 20 programs - and we're not one of them - that will stick around in that environment. All of football will suffer, NFL included, if this isn't handled correctly.

I would MUCH rather see a pro minor league operation take off for kids who are looking for paychecks more than the college experience and maintain the current caps with maybe a little extra for all in terms of a joint NIL fund. Otherwise I can see a lot of programs just scrapping the whole thing due to liability and the unlevel playing field.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Unless this next step towards compensation has the***

Oct 30, 2019, 7:19 AM

How long before a CFB players union is formed?

Oct 30, 2019, 8:08 AM

Would right to work states have an advantage?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I dont think the market size matters nearly as much

Oct 30, 2019, 8:34 AM

as fanbase size and wealth, passion, and perhaps desperation. You know who's going to be willing to bend the new rules to the limit and funnel every ounce of money possible to recruits? Schools like A&M.

I'm sure all of the huge fan base schools like Bama, Texas, and Ohio State will have a built in advantage over Clemson, but I dont see UCLA, BC, Rutgers, TCU, etc gaining any advantage just because they are in or near huge markets. You need lots of people that give a sh*t, not just lots of people.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,298
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic