Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My two cents on going for a TD to end the half
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1,328

My two cents on going for a TD to end the half

Oct 7, 2013, 10:34 AM

It gets experience in the situation. You never know if we are going to need to score on 4th and goal in another game for the win. I would much rather get experience when we don't "need" the points, rather than go out there the first time without experience when we really need to score.

Make sense?

We practice 4th and goal situations like this at practice. Why not "practice" the situation during a real game. I am glad he went for a touchdown because next time when we do indeed need the points, we will be more prepared for it. The value of experience during a game with that situation is invaluable to me and I hope you see my point.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My two cents on going for a TD to end the half

Oct 7, 2013, 10:36 AM

Not sure I agree with the reasoning....the correct call would have been to run down the clock and kick a FG with a couple of seconds on the clock and go into the half.

I wouldn't "practice" this because it provides game film to our opponent. We may very well need to execute this play vs. FSU.

No, frankly I'd keep as much as possible under wraps before we played them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Oct 7, 2013, 10:41 AM

Yeah we had to kick FG's at FSU last year and it cost us big time

FGs are more valuable when your defense is competent.

Oct 7, 2013, 2:25 PM

Last year's D wasn't most of the time.

Oct 7, 2013, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Re: My two cents on going for a TD to end the half ]

I see your point, but I feel like the experience they gained for going for it was worth it. I am sure Morris has plenty of plays that he can use against FSU and I am sure the play that was called was not as gutsy as one he would call for them.

Oct 7, 2013, 10:44 AM

I still think FG was the right call given we were up by what, 3 touchdowns?? I think it would have further demoralized cuse.

Instead, they came out p'd off and it showed. They scored on their first drive.

Re: going for it, I still say it's best to keep whatever we have under wraps before we play FSU. They have 2 weeks to prepare and that will certainly be factored into their defensive scheme since we showed it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Oct 7, 2013, 10:37 AM

I like what Tim Ryan said during the broadcast, it's not Clemson's job to stop their offense, it's Syracuse's job to stop their offense.

If you don't like it, do something about it, basically. I'd hate to hear how their coach reacts if they were to play Baylor or Oregon, talk about running the score up.

Chris Spielman said the same thing!

Re: My two cents on going for a TD to end the half- yeah

Oct 7, 2013, 10:48 AM

and him too. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The key words there is "First half"!!!

Oct 7, 2013, 10:39 AM

It is still the first half. I say you continue to pound the ball into the endzone no matter what the score during the first half.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The key words there is "First half"!!!

Oct 7, 2013, 10:45 AM

We should have put the 3 on the scoreboard at that time it was the smart thing to do but at this point it is history.

While I think we should've kicked the FG

I think that is because you take the points there and keep widening the gap in the first half and try not to give them any sort of defensive momentum.

But anyone complaining about it from a "disrespect" aspect is misguided at best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is why....

Oct 7, 2013, 10:44 AM

however many points you can score in one half, the other team can do the same in the 2nd half. This happened last Saturday - most people don't know about it because it happened out in Hawaii in the middle of the night......

No. 25 Fresno State Holds off Hawaii, 42-37
HONOLULU September 29, 2013 (AP)
Associated Press
Fresno State had its way with Hawaii for 2½ quarters, then had to hold off the Rainbow Warriors' bid for a big comeback.

Derek Carr passed for 324 yards and two touchdowns — both to Josh Harper — and Marteze Waller added two rushing scores to help the 25th-ranked Bulldogs build a 39-point lead before pulling out 42-37 win Saturday night.

Trailing 42-3 with 6:15 left in the third quarter, Hawaii scored 34 unanswered points and had a chance to get the improbable win before L.J. Jones picked off Sean Schroeder's Hail Mary pass short of the end zone for his second interception of the game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2013, 10:50 AM

I had no problem with going for the TD. There's no such thing as running up the score in the second quarter. The timeout usage really bugged me though. It's 4th and goal. You can't get a first down aside from a defensive penalty which would have still given you an un-timed down if the clock had run out. Coming off the field at half-time Dabo said he went for the TD because he didn't want to give them the opportunity at a momentum play on a kickoff following a FG, and if they didn't get the TD Syracuse was going to be pinned deep. Here's an idea: If you're worried about what will happen after the play, let the clock run down to 3 seconds and make sure that the play you run is the last play of the half. Oh, and if you're going to go on 4th and goal from the 5, how about something other than that QB power that the entire country saw coming.

Oct 7, 2013, 11:05 AM

If the line would have blocked and Boyd made it it would have been a great play. If we had kicked the field goal it would have been great. Hindsight is always 20-20. We won, who cares!

Oct 7, 2013, 12:01 PM

At the time, I was thinking we should kick the field goal. After seeing the play call from the 5 yard line, I knew we should have kicked the FG. The main problem I had was that we had them totally demoralized and I have always been taught to "leave a sleeping dog alone." They used this one play to rally around at the half and they were a different team for most of the third quarter. Thank goodness our defense stepped up and denied them pulling within 14 points still in the third quarter. Not satisfied with Dabo's explanation either. However, very happy with overall team's performance and really looking forward to the rest of the season!!

Oct 7, 2013, 2:23 PM

wow - great minds think alike. :) I posted something similar yesterday.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=14429573

Oct 7, 2013, 3:56 PM

Didn't have a problem going for the TD. Just would've liked to see a better play call, such as a TE delay.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

It did not make sense, except that CU was rolling...

Oct 7, 2013, 3:59 PM

We were on a roll and could not be stopped, therefore, it seemed like a good call.

That is BS that their coach wanted us to "call off the boys" in the 2nd quarter.

You should score as many points as possible in the first 2 quarters.

Anybody have a picture of a "dead horse" they could

Oct 7, 2013, 4:05 PM

post????????

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1,328
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic