Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My Grandson's First Visit to Clemson Last Saturday
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

My Grandson's First Visit to Clemson Last Saturday

Oct 28, 2014, 9:43 AM

My thirteen year old Grandson, Lucas, and I departed LAX on Friday morning (his first flight) and landed in ATL at 2:30. Then drove to Anderson to spend the next two nights with my Dad. Upon arrival in Anderson Friday evening, Lucas met his great-grand-father for the first time. He told Dad that he was honored to finally get to meet him. His sister had represented her family at my daughters' weddings in recent years and had returned to Los Angeles telling her family all about PaPa. Lucas told PaPa that he had never heard his sister speak so positive about anyone before.

We made a quick run by the Anderson Mall Saturday morning to buy Lucas an orange Clemson tee-shirt to wear to the game. I had told Lucas on the flight from LAX that PaPa isn't able to attend Clemson games anymore which he had been disappointed to hear. Lucas and I arrived for the game at 1:30 Saturday afternoon and spent the next nine hours absorbing Clemson University. On our flight back to Los Angeles Sunday afternoon, I asked Lucas to share with me those things that he liked best about Clemson:

1. In his own words, he said he liked how such a large crowd of people were one entity throughout the game. It was hard for him to describe this, but easy to know exactly what he was saying.

2. He listed tailgating next and was impressed that two individuals who I had never met seemed to know his name and where he was from before he had said a word. (Thanks Rudlinda and nctigergirl) The fire engine painted in Clemson colors in one lot on our walk to downtown caught his eye, just as the Paw Bearer Hearse did on our walk back to the car after the game.

3. He was particularly impressed with the majorette twirling three batons with fire on both ends during the game.

4. He mentioned really liking the Calhoun Mansion. I already knew this, because after touring the house for 20 minutes, I had asked Lucas if he was ready to go and he had said there was a room he had missed and that we needed to go back around one more time.

5. He said he liked the reflection pool in front of the library.

I then asked Lucas what else he liked best about his trip. He said meeting PaPa and getting a picture flying over the Mississippi River on Friday. I then asked Lucas if he had ever thought much about attending college some day. He said, not really, until now.

I had always heard that he was not a very good student. So I asked Lucas how many different president's did John C. Calhoun serve under as vice-president. He immediately said, two. I said that I believe that's right, but that I did not remember their names. He said he didn't either, but that he would look it up on the internet when he gets home.

Lucas's grandmother (my wife Elva of seven years) was waiting for us at LAX to pick us up at 6:30 pm PDT (9:30 pm back in Anderson and Clemson). His Mom, Step-Dad, and little Brother were waiting at our house to pick Lucas up and drive to their home out in the San Fernando Valley. As they were getting in the car, I gave Lucas a big hug and told him that this would always be one of my favorite memories of Clemson and how proud I was of him for totally holding up his end of the bargain. He thanked me for taking him.

Did I mention that Lucas was still wearing the orange Clemson tee shirt we had bought Saturday morning?

I called PaPa Sunday night for a quick safe arrival call. On Monday night, I called PaPa again when we could talk a bit longer. I asked PaPa what he thought of Lucas. He said that Lucas was a fine boy, smart as a whip, and that it had been an honor to meet Lucas.

I need to tell Lucas this.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did he boo injured players though?***

Oct 28, 2014, 9:48 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad he had such a great trip, thats awesome

Oct 28, 2014, 9:52 AM

Hoping to get down in December for my Nieces graduation

Re: Did he boo injured players though?***

Oct 28, 2014, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Did he boo injured players though?*** ]

such a stupid reply to a nice story.

Not a problem --- I laughed at the injured players

Oct 28, 2014, 9:57 AM

That may be worse than booing.

Sorry I offended you

Oct 28, 2014, 10:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Did he boo injured players though?*** ]

If you can't tell that I wasn't sirius and that i followed with a heartfelt reaction to his story then i'm sorry for that too

No problem for me --- I did have to explain to Lucas why I

Oct 28, 2014, 10:30 AM

was laughing at the drama team rolling around on the ground in extreme "pain"

My gradnfather (Clemson class of 1924)...

Oct 28, 2014, 9:51 AM

took me to my first Clemson game in 1971. I was eight years old. I vividly remember every detail of it like it was yesterday. I'm betting Lucas will remember his first (but most certainly not his last) trip to Clemson for a long time as well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: My Grandson's First Visit to Clemson Last Saturday

Oct 28, 2014, 9:51 AM

Thanks for sharing!

POTD...have been looking forward to your post game report***

Oct 28, 2014, 9:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2014, 9:56 AM

Thanks for an awesome post. Glad Lucas had a great first trip to Clemson! I think Lucas has a wonderful Grandfather, you did yourself proud!

You live in the San Fernando Valley?

Oct 28, 2014, 9:59 AM

That place has kept me in business recently.

Hope your data stays safe. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

What did he think of the Esso Club?

Oct 28, 2014, 10:09 AM

Surely you took him by there, right?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There were many teachable moments --- You reminded me

Oct 28, 2014, 10:28 AM

that at some point during the day, I confessed to Lucas that out of the 35 worst mistakes I have made in life --- 33 of them involved alcohol:)

The Flaming Batons

Oct 28, 2014, 10:18 AM

work every time.

Oct 28, 2014, 10:29 AM

Such a great story and memories for both of you. Thanks for sharing.

He didn't mention all the good looking Clemson ladies?***

Oct 28, 2014, 10:51 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

See "fire-twirling majorette"***

Oct 28, 2014, 11:15 AM

I believe two fine men are being wasted on Califormia….***

Oct 29, 2014, 6:40 PM

Oct 29, 2014, 8:14 PM

probably been said,but life doesn't get much better than this.my two grandchildren just turned two this month,and it would be great to have a similar experience with them.took my son(25)to his first CU game in DV 3 yrs ago.do believe he is a tiger now for life.may even attend grad school there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Oct 29, 2014, 8:18 PM

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Re: My Grandson's First Visit to Clemson ......waiting....

Oct 30, 2014, 12:25 AM

I had been waiting for the report!
I wasn't dissapointed....
So Glad to hear all is well with the Lucas adventure,
as well as the other family members.

My first trip there was 8th grad with one of my hunting
buddies and his family. Good memories.

Thanks for your update post! :)
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We loved having you stop by!

Oct 30, 2014, 6:31 AM

What a wonderful weekend y'all got to spend together!! Come back soon! You know where to find us!!

Thanks again for everything!!!***

Oct 30, 2014, 9:34 AM

You are a lucky man on many counts

Oct 30, 2014, 11:45 AM

You have a remarkable grandson. Give his Mom a kiss and shake his Dad's hand for me. They did a fine job.
You still have your awesome Dad.
You got to spend homecoming in Clemson on an absolutely perfect weekend. And we won.

You are blessed.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic