Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Michigan is on the rise
Other Sports Boards - Rivalries
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Michigan is on the rise

Jul 10, 2012, 1:59 AM

Brady Hoke might be the best "quick fix" college football coach around. Did not realize he took Ball State, in just six years, to a 12-1 record, national 12th ranking in 2008. That's just crazy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Michigan is on the rise

Jul 10, 2012, 3:19 AM

The big ten is about a year or two away from taking the crown away from the sec.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2012, 3:29 AM

As an alum of both Clemson and Michigan State, I have to disagree.

Western Michigan, Eastern Michigan, San Diego State?? And besides Nebraska and Michigan State, they played no quality Big-10 teams last year (unless you want to count the 6-7 Ohio State team they barely beet). 4 years in row to the Spartans... a QB who can't throw if his life depended on it (just watch the State game).

Any program would win with the absolute cake schedule they normally play. Can't wait to see Alabama crush 'em and to be honest, I cant believe they schedule a meaningful game out of conference.

Jul 10, 2012, 3:55 AM

and how do you feel about usuc? just asking 'cause i can see the "love" you have for the wolverines.

Message was edited by: sgt tiger®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alum of Clemson and Michigan State

Jul 10, 2012, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Michigan is on the rise ]

Are you Brian Linthicum?

Not An English Major

Jul 10, 2012, 11:49 AM

I hate beets.

Re: Not An English Major

Jul 10, 2012, 11:56 AM

Bears, Beets, Battlestar Gallatica.

Why? Michigan has always played meaningful games out of

Jul 10, 2012, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Michigan is on the rise ]

conference...MSU should try it sometime...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2012, 6:29 AM

http://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1175381

Hoke subtly revealed his disdain for the tactical shift Michigan experienced under Rodriguez. He is convinced that modern spread option offenses can be counterproductive to the core values of smashmouth football and are, therefore, to be avoided.

"Right, wrong or indifferent, when you're zone blocking all the time -- when you're playing basketball on grass -- you practice against that all spring, you practice against it all fall and then you're going to play a two-back team that wants to knock you off the football," Hoke said. "I don't think you're prepared.

"I think there's a toughness level (required in college football). I still believe you win with defense. That's been beaten into my head a long time, but I really believe that. The toughness of your team has to be the offensive front and your defensive front."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indeed. I think you're deadsolid right on.

Jul 10, 2012, 7:03 AM

FFL

Jul 10, 2012, 7:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Michigan is on the rise ]

> http://michigan.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1175381
>
> Hoke subtly revealed his disdain for the tactical
> shift Michigan experienced under Rodriguez. He is
> convinced that modern spread option offenses can be
> counterproductive to the core values of smashmouth
> football and are, therefore, to be avoided.
>
> "Right, wrong or indifferent, when you're zone
> blocking all the time -- when you're playing
> basketball on grass -- you practice against that all
> spring, you practice against it all fall and then
> you're going to play a two-back team that wants to
> knock you off the football," Hoke said. "I don't
> think you're prepared.

>
> "I think there's a toughness level (required in
> college football). I still believe you win with
> defense. That's been beaten into my head a long time,
> but I really believe that. The toughness of your team
> has to be the offensive front and your defensive
> front."

Hard to argue with that. And that being the case, how do you give your defense the opportunity to develop that toughness against a two-back offense? Seems to me you really can't.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Jul 10, 2012, 8:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Michigan is on the rise ]

Given that logic, practicing against our offense last year should have prepared us much better for spread offenses...

practice doesn't guarantee execution and winning isn't easy

Jul 10, 2012, 8:51 AM

or everyone would do it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: practice doesn't guarantee execution and winning isn't easy

Jul 10, 2012, 10:06 AM

Exactly my point.

i'm afraid we're talking about 2 different things, one is a

Jul 10, 2012, 11:53 AM

mindset of toughness, the other is Xs and Os.

you're right that facing a system every day doesn't make for perfect, because people and plans can be imperfect, but i believe hoke is suggesting toughness is not developed by playing in space, but by whipping the man in front of you day in and day out.

is that something we can agree on?

exactly how many smashmouth teams do we play?

Jul 10, 2012, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Michigan is on the rise ]

VT- smashed them twice
WF-? beat them
BC-? beat them
NCSU- lost- don't really think thats why we lost that one

GT-- Triple Option team-- requires displine more than anything
FSU- maybe- beat them anyway

WVU-spread
USC-read option - almost exclusive zone blocking
MD-read option

Alabama plays smash mouth and would have kicked our butts but that has more to do with Jimmy and Joes that style of FB

scar is a power running team and another example of

Jul 10, 2012, 9:25 AM

a notorious spread[fun n gun] coach changing his stripes.

awbarn is doing it this year after malzahn leaving. bama has been, uf, uga, lsu[saban started then miles] all power teams now.

it is the biggest difference between the sec and the remainder of college football.

brent pease, "I want to develop our players in a pro-style offense that can help them at the next level."

wonder why cu is missing out on olineman? do you want to play in a college spread O or be prepared for the next level in a pro-style O?

easy choice imo.

scar was not a power team-- with Shaw/no lattimore they were

Jul 10, 2012, 9:58 AM

running read option with QB- OL has been almost exclusive zone blocking since Shawn Elliott got there

Auburn was running spread the last 2 years when we played them and they won a NC

There are also different philosophies with the spread-- there are spread running teams and spread passing teams- some are primarily zone, some are primarily man

if you got players, you will win, if you don't you won't

CU has never had much on OL as for pro talent even when we were a power running team- because when we were a power running team we were option like GT-- talking about top OL not wanting to play a particular style-- see how many want to play option

spurrier is bright and yes, he ran some wrinkles, but miles

Jul 10, 2012, 10:10 AM

and wilds ran right at cu's D. 53-20 rushes/passes, they set up the vertical game for the last 2 years against cu by running at them. any offensive coach in his right mind would throw in some read against a steele coached D just as spurrier threw in some wildcat 3 years ago. doesn't make them not a power running team, just winners.

if awbarn won a nc title why in the world would they[cheesedyck] switch to a pro-style offense?

that's crazzzzzzyyyyyyy right? or he realizes he can't win with the spread in the sec unless he has another $180k and another cam newton out there. they've got the keesh, cam newton doesn't come along very often though.

Auburns brains behind the spread left--- you hire the best

Jul 10, 2012, 12:47 PM

oc you can and let hime put in whatever O he knows how to run.

USC

http://network.yardbarker.com/college_football/article_external/read_option_offense_spurs_south_carolinas_strong_season/9034402

again--running the ball has does not mean you are a power running team-- spread is a formation-- there are different versions of spread and different blocking schemes and differnt play mixes

bottomline- we didn't face many pro or power running attacks on our schedule and the results were more favorable than not against those few teams

you just recruited to the spread offense, there are many

Jul 10, 2012, 1:17 PM

very good spread ocs available, you don't change your spots unless you are changing your spots.

usc might have a qb that they can take advantage of his abilities, but when you play a power game you recruit to one.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1137708-south-carolina-football-stout-defense-and-power-running-offense-key-to-2012

hate enter button. i understand 'spread' does not mean pass

Jul 10, 2012, 1:23 PM

first, but read option doesn't mean spread and their base is no where close to the 3-4 wrs, with wide line splits, spread. they are a power running team that throws over the top, who cares if they mix in the qb if he's capable.

it'll be interesting if they manage a deep threat to keep the safeties from creeping up this year. alshon was a good one.

i dont think he was there 6 years.

Jul 10, 2012, 7:07 AM

nm

Re: my bad. He was at Ball St. for 6 years i was...

Jul 10, 2012, 7:13 AM

thinking UNLV which he was there for just 2 years. I think he is a perfect fit for MICH and tyhey will be a force for many years now. Urban will do well at OSU as well and that will prob mean those two teams are probably going to be top 10 every year and top 5 most.
Those top 4 spots are going get tough and it will be 8 before long.

Re: Michigan is on the rise- His Ball teams were great

Jul 10, 2012, 8:14 AM

and he is a great coach. He will do well at Michigan.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2012, 8:27 AM

Wait til he gets rid of Denard and gets the QB he wants in there. I feel like Michigan and Ohio State are both on their way back. Flame me now, but check back in 2 years.

Clemson will be at the top waiting on them in two years.

Jul 10, 2012, 8:59 AM

I haven't felt this good about Clemson since the mid-eighties.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sadly I think you are correct

Jul 10, 2012, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Michigan is on the rise ]

No problem with Michigan but can't stand OSU & Urban will get them turned around quickly.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Other Sports Boards - Rivalries
add New Topic