Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My solution for the playoffs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

My solution for the playoffs

Nov 16, 2017, 12:33 PM

Keep the committee playoff rankings - they've worked better than the BCS

Go to 8 teams

Power 5 Conference Champions that are also ranked in the top 10 of the CFP rankings get an automatic bid

3 at large spots are given according to the next best 3 teams in the CFP rankings that didn't get an automatic bid

If a Power 5 conference champion is not top 10 in the CFP rankings they're out and that spot becomes an at large.

Seeding is according to ranking

Example theoretical Final CFP rankings after championship week (made up, not 2017 based):
1. Alabama (SECChamp) (stayed 1)
2. Clemson (ACCChamp) (stayed 2)
3. Wisconsin (Big10Champ) (was 5 and moved up to 3)
4. Auburn (moved up from 6)
5. FSU (moved up from 7)
6. Miami (was 3 and lost to Clemson in ACC CG)
7. UGA (moved up from 9)
8. TCU (was 4 and lost to Oklahoma in big12 CG)
9. Notre Dame (Moved up 1 from 10)
10. Oklahoma(Big12Champ moved up from 13)
11. Washington(Pac12 Champ moved up from 12)
12. Ohio St. (was 8 and lost to Wisconsin and moved down)

In this example the playoff seeding would be
1. Alabama Auto
2. Clemson Auto
3. Wisconsin Auto
4. Auburn At Large
5. FSU At Large
6. Miami At Large
7. UGA At Large
8. Oklahoma Auto

1. Alabama vs 8. Oklahoma
2. Clemson vs 7. UGA
3. Wisconsin vs 6. Miami
4. Auburn vs 5. FSU

TCU and Notre Dame are punished for not winning a conference. Oklahoma is rewarded for winning a conference and against a tough ten and making top 10. Washington is punished for winning a crappy conference.

Thoughts?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TL;DR***

Nov 16, 2017, 12:41 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: TL;DR***

Nov 16, 2017, 1:59 PM

This wasn't very helpful Bob.

Perhaps that all he could muster after seeing the love you gave FSU***

Nov 16, 2017, 2:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Perhaps that all he could muster after seeing the love you gave FSU***

Nov 16, 2017, 2:15 PM

gotta build that SOR for Clemson

Maybe set your expectations a lot lower for Bob.***

Nov 16, 2017, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Re: TL;DR*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bob tends to be a little short.***

Nov 16, 2017, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Re: TL;DR*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It needs no solution, it is not broken.

Nov 16, 2017, 12:42 PM

You seem to be part of the problem in mine eye.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was thinking same, until we are #5 on outside looking in

Nov 16, 2017, 12:52 PM

it's all good. But seriously, talk of an 8 team playoff - why can't we just go 1 more game with top 6?

1 & 2 receive first round bye. 3 vs. 6, 4 vs. 5 and then go on from there.

The difference b/w a bubble team left out at #7 is much less problematic/controversial than a #5.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's perfect & if Clemson is number 5, when all's...

Nov 16, 2017, 12:58 PM

said and done, then Clemson needs to get better.

I'm mo than kewl with it and there will always be a ~number five, no matter the scenario.

Someone will always feel slighted, while CUATFL and others will want to rush to hush the child crying in the middle of the night.

Not saying you're wrong Tiger99, just don't see a need when people will always be unhappy.

when DRad leaves the committee we're screwed. He's been great about

Nov 16, 2017, 1:30 PM

keeping us in the Top 4 and the coots unranked. The way he shuts down any conversation regarding the U of Suck has, by all accounts, been legendary.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I miss Candi Rice and you're right, but does this mean...

Nov 16, 2017, 1:32 PM

I have to start being nice to Frankie Schemer? Say it ain't so...

If you can't win your conference you probably don't have...

Nov 16, 2017, 3:55 PM [ in reply to Was thinking same, until we are #5 on outside looking in ]

a shot at beating those who won theirs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My solution for the playoffs

Nov 16, 2017, 12:46 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: My solution for the playoffs***

Nov 16, 2017, 12:49 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Re: As my as I love football, this would

Nov 16, 2017, 12:54 PM

take too much of a toll on the players.

Create 8 conferences, do away with conference championship

Nov 16, 2017, 1:08 PM

games, then you can still have a limit of 15 games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Nov 16, 2017, 1:28 PM

You lost me at “8 teams”.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 16, 2017, 1:58 PM

8 is perfect. 4 is too few. 16 is too many.

The conferences would prevent a good, fair system.

Nov 16, 2017, 4:02 PM

They only care about money and power and splitting one of them will be unlikely.

Nov 16, 2017, 2:05 PM

In any scenario a bye isn't going to work. It's one thing to have a bye in basketball, totally different in football. Football is too violent a game. Any team with a bye would have a HUGE advantage. If nothing else, those players would have extra time to heal while others will have extra ware and tear and opportunity to get hurt.

The current system has some flaws but is working out. I think the cfp is learning as they go along. I don't see them repeating the bucky mistake they made last year. i could be wrong of course. I also don't see one conference getting two teams in.

Well Teams Like Notre Dame Would Get a BYE or Alabama

Nov 16, 2017, 8:21 PM

if Auburn beats them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No +8 team playoff!

Nov 16, 2017, 3:50 PM

Too easy for schools like Alabama to win the more game you add because they will be the schools that stack talent on talent. I get the argument UCF will not have a chance to play despite winning all their games - well Clemson would gladly play them in future years.

This current system is not broken. Everyone with at least 2 Power 5 Conference opponents has an opportunity to make it in. If you have 8 teams the regular schedule won't mean a lot and whoever is the best team at the end of season will win it all. The best team at the end of year is not always the best team at the beginning of the year and by counting the whole season you get the best team for the year.

No, we can't load another game on these students.

Nov 16, 2017, 3:57 PM

The more we ask them to do the more watery their academics become. That means Universities are getting what they want but not giving what they promised.

March Madness in December ??

Nov 16, 2017, 4:09 PM

They have 64 teams in the basketball tourney and you still get "whinning /crying"" from the 65th,66th,67th,etc. teams that got left out* -- play for the 4 spots and spot tha' ball !!!! GO TIGERS!!!!

Re: March Madness in December ??

Nov 16, 2017, 8:16 PM

Wofford would play 15 games this season if we make it to the finals of the FCS playoffs and that is with a first-round bye.

The FCS playoffs is now a 24 team affair. 5 weeks. Teams that are not national top 8 seeds would have to win 5 games and would play 16 games on the season.

Nov 16, 2017, 8:27 PM

Adding to the playoffs will just devalue the regular season. In your scenario Clemson would be playing an irrelevant game vs SCar, probably resting starters because it wouldn't matter. Leave it the way it is

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic