Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What the BCS doesn't account for is...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,252

What the BCS doesn't account for is...

Nov 14, 2012, 5:05 PM

how some teams shut it down early when they're beating the chit out of some teams. Oregon shut it down in the 2nd quarter, but did not win all that big one week, and the BCS dropped them a notch. The freaking 2nd quarter and the game was over. The game was over early in the 2nd quarter last week when CLEMSON was stomping Maryland 21-0 and shut most of our O down. The BCS has difficulty with that. If you don't watch the games, then you simply do not see that. The stats don't reflect what really happened sometimes. If anyone noticed, after Bama lost, Oregon kept the starters in until late in the game for a 59-17 blowout, and the BCS loved it I guess.

I still prefer the way CLEMSON does it - screw the BCS. We play more guys, and protect our key starters. I like that. Now when we get to SC - I'd love to see Dabo hang 70 on Ball Sack. And then I want to hear what Dabo says about it. :) That might be better than the game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What the BCS doesn't account for is...

Nov 14, 2012, 5:07 PM

They definately dont consider FOCUS

Man that joke just keeps on giving huh?***

Nov 14, 2012, 5:29 PM

Re: Man that joke just keeps on giving huh?***

Nov 14, 2012, 5:30 PM

I'm sorry, hard for me to focus on anything else.

It's hard for for all coots to focus on anything !! *****

Nov 14, 2012, 5:58 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What the BCS doesn't account for is...

Nov 14, 2012, 5:10 PM

You are definitely right. Florida had to have the game given to them this week. would have been nice if the computers had watched the game!!

The computer algorithms are obviously flawed and in need of

Nov 14, 2012, 6:19 PM

adjusting if they can put inferior 3 & 4 loss teams ahead of Clemson & FSU. There's no way a great team should be penalized just b/c they play a lighter schedule, especially when you're beating the snot out of that lighter schedule in dominant fashion.

1. We gave 7-3 Ball State their worst thumping of the year (52-27), who beat an 8-1 Toledo (#25 ranked at the time).... lost 35-23 to a 9-1 Northern Illinois... and lost 45-43 to a 9-1 Kent State.

2. Gave Furman their worst beating of the year.

3. Gave BC their 2nd worst beating behind FSU.

4. Beat Auburn better than LSU did.

5. Gave VT their worst loss of the year (worse than Notre Dame gave them).

6. Gave Wake their 2nd worse loss of the year behind FSU.

7. Beat Duke as bad or worse than Stanford did (considering we let up after half time and Stanford didn't.

8. Gave Maryland their worst beating of the year, far worse than WVU did.

The BCS, or at least the computer portion, doesn't

Nov 14, 2012, 6:37 PM

even account for scoring margins, so I don't think your point matters that much. A victory by 1 point is seen the same to the computers as a victory by 100 points, and a good pollster should know enough about a team's game to see if the game was really as close as the score indicated. Sure there are some bad pollsters, but the majority don't even move teams up or down unless a team actually loses.

That is kind of his point. With Margin of Victory removed

Nov 14, 2012, 7:28 PM

we don't get credit for beating bad teams in more dominating fashion than other teams do. Margin of Victory is a great measure of comparison that provides teams with a weaker schedule a better chance to show their merit. Essentially what the BCS is saying to us is, "You're beating teams too badly so we're gonna remove margin of victory and make your win seem no different than a team who speaks one out". That makes no sense.

If teams aren't able to face the same tough schedule that an SEC team faces for example, then there has to be another measure to assess success, which margin of victory definitely is. If mediocre teams cant score or prevent a ton of points, then that's their problem for being mediocre. Great teams shouldn't be penalized for being great, but instead the BCS shows pity on the weak by removing MOV, and in turn penalizes great teams who happen to play a weaker schedule. It's BS.

very good point ST***

Nov 14, 2012, 7:30 PM

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,252
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic