Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Let me get this straights....the ORANGE are named....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,101

Let me get this straights....the ORANGE are named....

Oct 20, 2014, 9:11 PM

...after some fictitious injun named "Bill Orange"...WTH????

There's got to be more to the mascot Orangement or Orange than someone named Guido Orange.

https://www.google.com/search?q=guido+orange&rlz=1C1FDUM_enUS475US475&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=9LFFVM6WMZHJggTc2IHACQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1092&bih=688

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let me get this straights....the ORANGE are named....

Oct 20, 2014, 9:18 PM

"Orangemen".... That will be the Native American's next target after the Redskins. Always gotta have an axe to grind., beats staying drunk on "fire water".

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Syracuse already caved to the PC crowd and changed its

Oct 20, 2014, 9:41 PM

mascot to juan that is "gender neutral".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I don't think it is always Native Americans pushing to have

Oct 20, 2014, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Let me get this straights....the ORANGE are named.... ]

nicknames revoked. And personally, I think it is in their worse interest. For example, over the past 30 years, how many of you youngsters knew what #4 stood for or who Steve Fuller was. Had that number remianed on the shelf so to speak, I would be willing to bet that 90% of fans under 35 didn't know anything about it. But, now, after DW was given permission to wear it, to put it on display again, I would bet 90% of all Clemson fans know the history. The Native Americans, each and every time they successfully remove a nickname such as the Indians,Warriors,Braves,and what were the Illinois called....they shoot themselves in the foot. Does that make sense? They are removing things that they could use to bring positive publicity for themselves and to their plight.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have topped yourself with that post...

Oct 20, 2014, 9:59 PM

comparing Steve Fuller and the number 4 to caricatures of Native Americans

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm just saying, if you remove Redskins, Indians,Seminoles,

Oct 21, 2014, 8:26 AM

Warriors from these teams names, you are removing a chance for the country to recognize Native Americans on a regular basis. I think they should revers course and use the publicity to enhance their own interest. When Spurrier stated a few years ago that he thought you should retire the "Jersey", not the number, I thought he was crazy and self serving because he wanted Sterling Sharpe's #2 for a recruit. But when I actually thought about it, it hit me that he may be right. Players continuing to wear a number keep it at the forefront. If Native Americans got behind the nicknames and embraced them, they may be able to use it to their advantage.

No use arguing with TK79... he'll just regurgitate the same

Oct 21, 2014, 9:24 AM

liberal talking points over and over.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Cuse changed to just Orange, ten years ago....

Oct 20, 2014, 9:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Let me get this straights....the ORANGE are named.... ]

and long ago stopped using Native American imagery. So no, nobody will be complaining about Cuse because they have already changed

Oct 20, 2014, 9:39 PM
image.jpg(38.6 K)

Oct 21, 2014, 9:21 AM

Syracuse used to be called the Saltine Warriors and had a similar mascot like FSU but then the PC crowd in NY didn't like that so we changed it to Orangemen....Then again the PC crowd in NY didn't like Orangemen and with a little nudge from ESPN we changed the name to orange for better branding? and keep everyone happy? I wish they kept the Saltine Warrior as mascot....

So you are saying that "Orangemen" was like "Redskins"...

Oct 21, 2014, 9:54 AM

....because indians in NY have orange colored skin whereas indians in other places in the US have red skin?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,101
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic