Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Learned of Tigers 1989 Bowl win while whizzing @ Rose BowL..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,571

Learned of Tigers 1989 Bowl win while whizzing @ Rose BowL..

Dec 23, 2014, 1:35 PM

In 1989 I won a fabulous all-paid trip to Rose Bowl Parade & Game for 4 from Russell Sports thru raffle at Charlotte's Belk department store..and thus didn't make plans to attend Clemson's Bowl Game with the 10th ranked Sooners.

But, I didn't miss a beat due to buying a small TV that worked on batteries...and while at Rose Bowl Parade in Pasadena I watched the Citrus Bowl coming live from Orlando (9AM in Calif & 1PM in Fl)..and after the Parade was over we were on a large tour bus to the near-by Rose Bowl Stadium..while I was intensely involved with the struggle the Tigers were in with Barry Switzer's #10 ranked team.

Then, when things were getting heated up and Clemson was ahead with a few minutes to go, the tour bus got to the parking lot b/4 our game was over, and my guests & the bus driver wouldn't allow me to watch the last few minutes...and I didn't know how it would end.

So, when entering the Rose Bowl gates an ABC TV crew member saw my Orange C Clemson cap and remarked I must be lost since the CU-OK game was 2500 miles away..which was funny.

And, as we all tend to do I headed directly to the Mens Room..and while in a private stall whizzing the guy in stall next to me yelled out..Clemson upset Oklahoma and I've lost $100!

I immediately yelled out loud...GoTiGERS! And, smiled all the way to my seat in my first Rose Bowl Game..between USC & Michigan, with QB Peete playing.

GoTiGERS...Boom the Sooners...AGAIN!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember my parents getting me out of school to watch

Dec 23, 2014, 1:39 PM

the game. The game was on Monday because the first was a Sunday and that was our first day back at school from Christmas break. I knew then, it was a big deal.

Of course there was a lot of Citrus Flu that day.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.***

Dec 23, 2014, 1:42 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

I remember before the game the OK fans said we didn't have

Dec 23, 2014, 2:32 PM

a chance. They were all missing when we walked back to the car after the game and a few weeks later Barry Switzer was missing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Learned of Tigers 1989 Bowl win while whizzing @ Rose BowL..

Dec 23, 2014, 3:20 PM

I was there too. Thought it was strange they park on a golf course out there.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I apologize if "Whizz" is tOO strong word over "P*issed"!

Dec 23, 2014, 7:13 PM

LOL, and GoTiGS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mangus learned of it while whizzing on a rose bush in the streets somewhere. :)***

Dec 23, 2014, 7:35 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,571
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic