Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Net Neutrality ends with nary a whimper yet this morning
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 433

Net Neutrality ends with nary a whimper yet this morning

Jun 13, 2018, 7:16 AM
rate.jpg(13.5 K)

I get this - (see attached)

Don't worry they said

Nothing will change they said

Less than 72 hours or so -

Oh well, it's just Twitter - nothing important.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Net Neutrality ends with nary a whimper yet this morning

Jun 13, 2018, 7:24 AM

personally, I am looking forward to paying a toll to get into the fast lane. I want to know that there are no poors sharing bandwidth with me.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been with verizon for 10 yrs

Jun 13, 2018, 7:27 AM

And every year they offer faster speeds for, wait for it, more money. Weird that was going on during NN.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've been with verizon for 10 yrs

Jun 13, 2018, 7:34 AM

free market competition kinda does not work when your telcom has a monopoly in your area, so there would be no incentive to improve service.. And they may advertise faster speeds, but it depends more on your local infrastructure than anything. The people that will really get screwed over by this are those living in rural areas, aka trump voters.

You were suggesting that everyone was getting same speed

Jun 13, 2018, 7:42 AM

Without having to pay more bc of NN. That is absolutely false. It's always been, pay more, get faster speeds.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You were suggesting that everyone was getting same speed

Jun 13, 2018, 8:16 AM

you have no clue. Instead of using their billions in profits to improve infrastructure, and thus improve bandwidth, they are buying out smaller ISP's, merging into larger companies, and creating less choice and competition.

And your speed has nothing to do with what they advertise and sell you, notice how it says speeds "up to". You are going to end up paying more money for exactly the same thing on an itemized bill. And it will not be much further down the road that your ISP filters online content and services on what is most profitable, making our internet access into a business model similar to cable news.

But hey, trump endorses it so it must be good.

I've always been against NN. way before trump was

Jun 13, 2018, 9:03 AM

even running.

And again, you just did not address what you were suggesting. That all of a sudden, people are now going to have to pay to get in some fast lane. As we all know, that has ALWAYS BEEN THE CASE. Even during NN or before the scaring tactics of Obama that some bogeyman is gonna take our toys away.

You're missing the NN argument, as usual.

Jun 13, 2018, 9:14 AM

Tiered pricing for bandwidth and speed has always been around. That's not what NN addresses, and you really should know this by now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No I'm not missing it. My reply was on tbalms idiotic

Jun 13, 2018, 11:37 AM

attempt at making a NN pt based on his personal speed and will have to pay more.

So my reply was to his post, not NN in general.

Re: I've always been against NN. way before trump was

Jun 13, 2018, 11:26 AM [ in reply to I've always been against NN. way before trump was ]

Net neutrality prevented fast lanes but more importantly it prevented throttling and prioritization. Those last two are FAR more important than fast lanes. Now that the rules are no longer in use any provider can limit your speed or outright ban you form viewing/using certain sites and or activities.

That is the more devious and concerning possibility for many of us that supported NN. AT&T for example just purchased Time Warner for their content. They wanted them specifically so they could compete with Amazon, Netflix, new Disney streaming service, etc. You think they aren’t going to take advantage of the fact that they are both the internet service and content provider? Don’t think their new streaming service won’t magically work better than Netflix?

Of course, they will keep increasing their speed offering but now they don’t have to let you use that speed for anything you want.

Who knows, maybe they won’t. Maybe all/most ISPs will behave but they have proven in the past they can’t be trusted. Comcast, Verizon, AT&T and others all got caught throttling user traffic on purpose back in 2014 which is part of what lead to the NN push in the first place.

If we truly had a free market setup this wouldn’t matter as we would have options but many if not most of us do not.

again, I've always said

Jun 13, 2018, 11:36 AM

if they are doing something so egregious, make a law to stop it.
What you dont do is give the government control over the entire internets. They always #### things up. The internet grew at light speed rates BECAUSE the gov wasn't involved. Imagine if we had NN the entire time? I'm thinking the internet would be a cluster.

Re: again, I've always said

Jun 13, 2018, 11:57 AM

This post. OMG.

You don't think the government was involved in the internet?

Your proposed solution is pass a the law that was just repealed?

What a train wreck of a post, man.

What’s wrong with his post? I don’t think you understand

Jun 13, 2018, 12:55 PM

what he is saying.

null

holy moly. i have nothing else to say. You win the internets

Jun 13, 2018, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: again, I've always said ]

award today.

Huh. So I found this question from September 2015, during

Jun 13, 2018, 7:48 AM

the peaceful reign of our lord and savior Net Neutrality:

https://support.onelouder.com/hc/en-us/articles/203931090-Why-am-I-getting-a-rate-limit-

So, was rate limiting a thing Twitter has always done, and you’re just trying to turn it into a NN thing?

This is what I suspect we’ll see from “sky is falling” NN advocates. Every rate increase, hick-up in service, etc, will be because of the repeal of NN.

null

I'm all for Net Neutrality,

Jun 13, 2018, 8:18 AM

but I've been getting that for months, if not a year+

Re: Net Neutrality ends with nary a whimper yet this morning

Jun 13, 2018, 9:06 AM

.jpg of soccerkrzy on the ultimate frisbee course and his hair on fire.

######

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How did you even post this after the internet ended?

Jun 13, 2018, 12:52 PM

Also, LOL at your fake news.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 433
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic