Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When will people realize that saying...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

When will people realize that saying...

Nov 27, 2012, 11:39 AM

"Let them (UMD, UVA) go b/c they bring nothing to us in football and can be easily replaced"...

could not be further from reality

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

the ACC has fewer options at this point than a 400 lb woman***

Nov 27, 2012, 11:41 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and on top of that other conferences have now taken

Nov 27, 2012, 11:53 AM

or will take 2 states from us in our biggest market area.

Maryland and Virginia becoming Big Ten country would mean the ACC now holds firmly ONE state (north carolina).

The SEC already owns or at minimum shares SC/GA/FL, the ACC's stronghold was Maryland/VA/NC with some northeastern penetration now (although I still question the strength there, think it is fundamentally Big Ten country).

agreed...we're getting squeezed from all sides

Nov 27, 2012, 11:57 AM

and the football product is absolutely pathetic

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do people realize how bad it is going to look for the league

Nov 27, 2012, 11:59 AM

when people tune in and see an empty stadium in Charlotte for an 8pm night game?

4 bucks for a ticket are you FREAKING KIDDING ME! I can't get a McD's value meal for that.

you could close off the upper deck Saturday night***

Nov 27, 2012, 12:00 PM

Maryland was the canary, the ACC title game is the

Nov 27, 2012, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Do people realize how bad it is going to look for the league ]

foreshadowing

the SEC title game is a semi final for the national title

Nov 27, 2012, 12:05 PM

the ACC title game is going to be empty.

the SEC game is always sold out regardless, the ACC game

Nov 27, 2012, 12:12 PM

average about 55K and even that figure will go down after this year.

exactly why you need to shake up the divisions***

Nov 27, 2012, 12:17 PM

the SEC owns the state of GA

Nov 27, 2012, 11:59 AM [ in reply to and on top of that other conferences have now taken ]

nobody pays attn to ACC football here...nobody

It depends

Nov 27, 2012, 12:03 PM

I visit family often in two different places in GA and I've seen more than a few Clemson license plates. I also know of more than a few ND, and Ohio State fans. Sure, UGA has always been the biggest school, educating the largest number of need-to-just-get-by students and played decent football. But I see a lot of other fans too.

Re: It depends***

Nov 27, 2012, 12:31 PM

Prove your case

Nov 27, 2012, 11:42 AM

Just question others' opinions is weak.

If conference expansion was all about

Nov 27, 2012, 11:44 AM

"how good you are", then why did the B1G take Rutgers.

The B1G is awful this year... but guess what, they will pay UMD over 30 mil a year (compared to 15-17 from the ACC). That's not b/c they are football powerhouses.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

It's all guesswork

Nov 27, 2012, 12:06 PM

But I think taking a risk with Pitt is better than sticking with a known like UVA. And I'm not sure why their chasing after money proves we should regret they left the ACC.

Using Pitt as an example, they have a history, the school has money (tons spent on facilities including stadium in this decade) and a spread out fan base. I'd rather roll the dice that they are still on the rise than a UVA will ever change after so long.

Here's the point you're missing...

Nov 27, 2012, 12:12 PM [ in reply to If conference expansion was all about ]

The Big 10 took Maryland because

1) They assume the DC TV market will be tuned into Maryland vs Michigan, Maryland vs Ohio State, Maryland vs Penn State, etc.

2) Basketball

Neither of these things has anything to do with the statement, "let them (UMD, UVA) go b/c they bring nothing to us in football and can be easily replaced".

From the standpoint of the ACC, they can be replaced.

who would replace them that would enhance our TV contract?

Nov 27, 2012, 12:14 PM

or even keep it the same?

and don't say UL... b/c they are a community college and I'd be surprised if they were invited.

Heck...

Nov 27, 2012, 12:18 PM

UCONN would garner as many or more TVs as did Maryland.

And I understand the academic argument against Louisville, but I'm not sure they've been officially eliminated from consideration, have they?

They are still trying to build on the Petrino era

Nov 27, 2012, 12:36 PM [ in reply to who would replace them that would enhance our TV contract? ]

They do make it to bowls over the last decade. Sure, they aren't SEC or even Big material maybe, but they are not as bad as you make it sound.

I think the point is, who would we replace them with? There

Nov 27, 2012, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Prove your case ]

are no good football programs who would be willing to join the ACC. Therefore we can replace exiting schools, but with who? Louisville? Cincinnati? Uconn? More basketball schools that do nothing to enhance the reputation of the conference from a football perspective.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

What's your reasoning? And, please...

Nov 27, 2012, 11:45 AM

Don't say, "because of the DC TV market".

I think because we have very few good options to replace

Nov 27, 2012, 11:49 AM

them with that are that attractive overall....people are beating down the doors to get into our club.

Assuming that's what he meant, there are equal options out

Nov 27, 2012, 11:53 AM

there. Teams that would be just as strong or stronger in football, and would have TV ratings just as high or higher than UVA and MD.

but the options like Louisville aren't acceptable to the

Nov 27, 2012, 11:56 AM

academic hobnobs

Have they come out and said that?***

Nov 27, 2012, 12:15 PM

absolutely, the ACC is being squeezed out by bigger forces

Nov 27, 2012, 11:55 AM [ in reply to What's your reasoning? And, please... ]

if you took a map and colored it in with ACC states, then you did a DARK color for the states we own (example North Carolina) and had progressively lighter colors for the states we share (example Flordia), the coloration would be very obvious that the ACC heart was Maryland/Virginia/North Carolina with lighter coloration in SC/GA/FL due to competition with the SEC and lighter coloration in the northeast.

Now we are looking at our "heart" going from NC/VA/Mary to just NC. Sorry, if you don't see that as a problem I don't know what else would convince you. Its plain as day.

At this point, who cares where the "heart" is?

Nov 27, 2012, 12:15 PM

It's all about garnering more TV sets. Maryland doesn't do jack squat in that regard.

Re: If conference expansion was all about

Nov 27, 2012, 11:55 AM

Why worry about that we are going to the big 12 right? You of all people shouldn't be talking about teams leaving

if you're sitting in UVA's seat you would leave too

Nov 27, 2012, 11:58 AM

they get more $ in the B1G....a lot more.

Re: if you're sitting in UVA's seat you would leave too

Nov 27, 2012, 12:14 PM

Hey pick up navy and penn state. Even on probation penn state was on highlights more than Clemson. You need schools w NCAA clout to have a seat at the table in the end.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When will people realize that saying...

Nov 27, 2012, 12:49 PM

replacing them with Stonybrook and Rider may improve the acc's football product at this stage

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic