Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is there any advantage to buying a 4K tv
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 2,092

Is there any advantage to buying a 4K tv

Sep 17, 2016, 4:52 PM

With 2080 or whatever dpi if I don't have a signal coming in that's that defined? We don't use Netflix either. Want to buy a new tv before gt game but unsure if it's really worth the extra 100 or 150.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Extra 100 or 150?? Yes***

Sep 17, 2016, 4:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have one and the picture quality is amazing

Sep 17, 2016, 4:53 PM

when watching blue ray movies, netflix, Amazon prime, etc.

What size are you looking at? Budget?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm kind of cheap and don't watch much tv

Sep 17, 2016, 5:00 PM

Outside of college football. I was lookin at 48". Vizio smart tv vs 4K. Price difference is like 378 vs 520 I think. We don't even have blue ray and we have Uverse and haven't used Netflix before so I'm not even sure we have a signal that would give us any advantage over the regular.

Re: Is there any advantage to buying a 4K tv

Sep 17, 2016, 4:54 PM

There is virtually no programming out there. This year the golf majors had 4k broadcasts of like 1-3 holes. And most of that is onky cia Direct TV. Unless you have 4k dvd or stream Netflix, which you dont, theres no need.

Depends on how long you plan to keep your TV

Sep 17, 2016, 5:38 PM

Bc more programming and esp sports will be 4K - primarily starting next year.
If you plan to keep your tv 2 years or more and it's less than a $150 price diff you may want to get the 4K.
I just bought a 55" LG and opted for the 4K

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lots of great opinions I'll have to think about***

Sep 17, 2016, 5:46 PM

Sep 17, 2016, 4:55 PM

I dont think so... for video gaming maybe so but get a nice Samsung and you will be satisfied.

Sep 17, 2016, 4:56 PM

Not really. It will be a year before companies are broadcasting anything worth a hoot.

Sep 17, 2016, 4:58 PM

Better to get a high end 1080p model than a low end 4k one at this point. There are bandwidth hurdles to delivering 4k live TV that are not going to be overcome before 2020 in my opinion. Also, smart TVs are crap. Dont spend money on smart features that are rendered useless with a $30 chomecast unit.

Interesting hadn't thought of that.***

Sep 17, 2016, 5:01 PM

I second this

Sep 17, 2016, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Is there any advantage to buying a 4K tv ]

It's better to get a high end 1080 than a lower end 4K unit. A low end 4K unit will have the same issues as a low end 1080 unit; slow refresh rate, low quality build, etc.

What makes a high end 1080? Brand? Hz?

Sep 17, 2016, 5:22 PM

TIA

Brand is important for quality but all the big name brands

Sep 17, 2016, 5:44 PM

Have nice high end units. I wouldn't stick to just one performance measure since manufacturers make their units a little different, but the refresh rate is important especially for sports, action movies, etc. The safest bet is to read the reviews online for the top rated ones and see if you can find a good deal on one of the top models.

If it were me I would look for one of the latter high end plasma TVs on eBay, Craig's list, etc. I have one of the last few years of Panasonic plasmas and it's awesome. Sports are amazing on plasmas and IMO they still look better than the new 1080 TVs. I have heard the ones that came out a couple years or so after mine were even better. It would have to be a used unit though so you'd probably be safer going new unless someone can vouch for the prior owner.

Let me clarify this by saying that this opinion is based on

Sep 17, 2016, 5:56 PM [ in reply to What makes a high end 1080? Brand? Hz? ]

You wanting to get one now and only having about $150 more to spend on a 4K unit.

If you are willing to spend more or wait and save up then you are better off getting a higher end 4K unit. But as someone mentioned, make sure your equipment is HDCP 2.2 or it's not going to work with 4K content.

Re: What makes a high end 1080? Brand? Hz?

Sep 17, 2016, 6:33 PM [ in reply to What makes a high end 1080? Brand? Hz? ]

High end: Samsung, Sony
Mid tier: LG, Sanyo
Lower end: Vizio, Magnavox etc

YMMV of course. I have been pleased sticking with the samsung 6000 tier ones. They have most of the picture stats (refresh, contrast ratio) without the smart TV software price bloat. All you miss out on are things like Picture in picture etc.

my perspective on 4k

Sep 17, 2016, 5:30 PM

I'm considering getting a new TV at the end of this year (so I've thought about this issue too) but I would consider how long you used your last TV (and so how long this new one will be your primary TV).

We bought our current TV nearly 7 years ago and so I want to buy a TV that will serve well for the next 7. I'm thinking we are only a year or two away from 4K content being more typical and available so even though I'm not "missing" anything now, I'm going to try to save up for the 4K option even if that means I have to wait a little bit longer to afford it.

Sep 17, 2016, 5:34 PM

If you're trying to save $100 or $150, then absolutely 4K is worth it. I have DirecTV and just got the new 4K boxes from them; there's 6 4K channels where I live in NY and over 100 movies on demand in 4K by next month.

That being said, you will have to upgrade your stereo receiver, your hdmi cables, your bluray player etc. I had to swap out my old Yamaha receiver for a new Onkyo that is HDCP compliant (you need this to pass through 4K from your device(s) to your television), upgrade all of my hdmi cables to high-speed HDMI 2.0, and get a new Samsung Blu-Ray player that played true UHD (4K) instead of my old one that only "upconverted to 4K" (those are marketing words, don't be fooled). Similarly, if you do get Netflix, Amazon apps through Apple TV or whatever in the future, your internet speed will have to be a minimum of 30mb/sec or you won't be able to stream in 4K!

So is it worth it? Absolutely. But if you don't have the other parts to make the whole thing work, and you're not in the market to upgrade those things, then no.

Replies: 17
| visibility 2,092
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic