Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is suspending sammy vs auburn the right thing to do?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Is suspending sammy vs auburn the right thing to do?

Jun 28, 2012, 8:39 AM

The more I think about it the more I say no.

Kids make mistakes all the time. If he does something like this again I think kicking him off the team should be considered.

But for this.....I say let dabo work him to death in the off season

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Is suspending sammy vs auburn the right thing to do?

Jun 28, 2012, 8:42 AM

Good news is by the time a punishment is handed down, no one will remember what happened. I think you will see him sit out the first half of the Auburn game at a min. With a max being the first two games. I would love to have him for Auburn and not the next two but that just doesn't seem right.

null

he did something?

Jun 28, 2012, 8:47 AM

when ? I don't remember anything. ;)

He needs to miss some pt. Not that he would but dont want someone thinking they are above the team (cough, Gacia, cough)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I suspect Sammy would be the first to tell you....

Jun 28, 2012, 8:42 AM

there will be and should be consequences for his actions which will likely include some missed playing time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: I suspect Sammy would be the first to tell you....

Jun 28, 2012, 8:45 AM

I say leave him in for Auburn and bench him for the following two games.

That's certainly an option Dabo could consider....

Jun 28, 2012, 8:50 AM

but under the circumstances, I think we're more likely to see Dabo sit Sammy for, at least, the first half of the Auburn game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed***

Jun 28, 2012, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Re: I suspect Sammy would be the first to tell you.... ]

Re: I suspect Sammy would be the first to tell you....

Jun 28, 2012, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Re: I suspect Sammy would be the first to tell you.... ]

> I say leave him in for Auburn and bench him for the
> following two games.

Where's the punishment in that?

I am die hard Clemson as one can get, but I think he needs to sit for the Auburn game. Sure kids make mistakes, but they have to be held accountable. If this was Marcus Lattimore, everyone would say he needs to sit the first 2 or 3 games.

IMO, I have always thought suspensions should be served against the highest ranked conference opponent at the time of the offense. In this case, it would be FSU.
Kids would think twice because that would hurt.

The idea is to get to a BCS (or playoff spot). To do that you have to win your conference. A suspension against an out of conference opponent (much less a cupcake OOC opponent) doesn't hurt your run for a conference championship.

If the first game of the season was not against Auburn,

Jun 28, 2012, 8:46 AM

would you be asking this question?

If he is suspended for a game or games, it has to be the

next game or games we play. Especially in this case. Auburn is an opportunity for him to showcase his talents and to be deprived of that is a significant penalty. Waiting until a lesser game would deprive him of nothing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But that also punishes the rest of the guys on the team by

Jun 28, 2012, 8:53 AM

reducing their ability to win a game that will be pretty big in terms of proving the state of the program and setting post-season expectations.

Clemson can beat AU without Sammy.........

Jun 28, 2012, 8:57 AM

Will it be harder? Yes. But this team is very talented and very capable

Thats part of being a team.***

Jun 28, 2012, 8:58 AM [ in reply to But that also punishes the rest of the guys on the team by ]

It sure does.....

Jun 28, 2012, 9:02 AM [ in reply to But that also punishes the rest of the guys on the team by ]

and maybe Sammy and other players will think about it in those terms before they do something else really stupid. The prospect of letting-down and/or disappointing your teammates is a big part of being on the team.

Re: But that also punishes the rest of the guys on the team by

Jun 28, 2012, 10:40 AM [ in reply to But that also punishes the rest of the guys on the team by ]

football is a team sport. benching the star player against a top BCS scholl sends a clear message. It will also cause the team to self police each other.

When I played football, if one player got in trouble, the entire team ran.

This isn't just about Sammy....

Jun 28, 2012, 8:57 AM [ in reply to If he is suspended for a game or games, it has to be the ]

the discipline imposed by Dabo will send a message to the rest of the team.

Like some other coaches, the last message that Dabo needs to send to the team is that the better players are immune from facing any serious consequences for inappropriate conduct.

Make him listen to TDP's

playlist this season. That should be painful enough.

Re: If the first game of the season was not against Auburn,

Jun 28, 2012, 8:51 AM

Nope. Just being honest. The world of college football is a dog eat dog world. We have to win that game and everybody on this board knows it.

Fact is everyone wants him to play but all want to act like the " good guy " and say we need to sit him.

Re: If the first game of the season was not against Auburn,

Jun 28, 2012, 9:06 AM

Just make him write I hate the coots on the black board 50 times. Tell him that next time he will be made to write I love the coots 100 times on the black board. Plus call korncoot daddy in a tweet. That will straighten him right up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If all goes well between now and the game, then yes he shoul

Jun 28, 2012, 8:53 AM

should be suspended for a quarter IMO.

That is assuming all goes perfect from this point until the game. Hopefully the charges will be dropped with PTI.

Jun 28, 2012, 8:59 AM

I suspect Dabo will send a "Dabo" message to everyone and suspend him for the entire Auburn game. He will be back the next game to get used to on the field competition before playing FSU....It will be painful but Dabo is a disciplinarian.....but fair. Just my opinion.

no

Jun 28, 2012, 9:02 AM

let him play

He didn't make a mistake - he made a stupid/bad decision....

Jun 28, 2012, 9:04 AM

and secondly it's for DS to decide when SW sits out - what you or I think about that doesn't really matter does it?

Re: He didn't make a mistake - he made a stupid/bad decision....

Jun 28, 2012, 9:16 AM

First of all I'm a Dabo pumper not dumper.

Unfortunately, even though Dabo says he doesn't pay too much attention to the media (and sometimes his comments show it)I think TD and our BOT have to. That being said, if Sammy isn't suspended for all or at least 1/2 of the Auburn game there will be more of a national media frenzy than the "why did Nkemdiche commit to Clemson and will he stay" trashing that continues.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Run stadium steps during the summer and miss no games.***

Jun 28, 2012, 9:10 AM

Forcing for a student-athlete to run or work-out....

Jun 28, 2012, 9:19 AM

during the summer is an NCAA violation.

He can do them voluntarily to prove he has learned.

Jun 28, 2012, 10:33 AM

;)

Jun 28, 2012, 9:29 AM

Yes , suspend him for Auburn . It is the right thing to do . If Dabo wants to keep the respect of his players he can show no favoritism for the higher profile kids... that is what family is based on , right ? If you are ALL IN , then that is to include being all in on the disciplinarian side of things too, IMO .

Auburn's QB went home for Summer

Jun 28, 2012, 9:30 AM

Didn't Zeke, Auburn's QB, go back to KY after being arrested for Public Intoxication? If he's gone for Summer, to me that means he's not gonna be the starting QB against Clemson. We can beat them without Sammy regardless of which QB plays. Have you people ever heard of PRINCIPLE??? Sammy needs to be disciplined!!! You people BIITCH about COOTS being arrested and never having consequences for their actions and then argue that Sammy shouldn't miss any games??!! We are not COOTS!!!

Re: Auburn's QB went home for Summer

Jun 28, 2012, 9:41 AM

Zeke Pike stunk it up in the Spring Game (A-Day) for Auburn, and is likely the #3 QB, so he wouldn't play against CLEMSON anyway. Pike is a bad analogy to punishment for Sammy. Sammy needs to sit for AU. Maybe the players need to make their mistakes/bad-decisions before the games with weaker opponents. Nobody would even see a problem here if Sammy did this prior to the Furman game and had to sit that game - right?

Interesting - huh?

He was 3rd string coming out of spring practice***

Jun 28, 2012, 9:42 AM [ in reply to Auburn's QB went home for Summer ]

Dabo's hands are tied by recruiting on this

Jun 28, 2012, 9:45 AM

Dabo sells Clemson as a place you do not get into trouble. Sammy's mistake has bigger consequences than a normal player, because he is the face of Clemson nationally. M Adams is on campus this week and stated that he is calling Sammy to hang out. Recruits search him out, it is in almost every story about recruiting visits. Sammy is basically an extra recruiter when these kids are on campus. Dabo can not play favorites with Sammy and in fact must hold him at a higher standard because he is such high profile. Otherwise, how can a recruit's momma beleive him when he tells them they will not get into trouble at Clemson like our neighbors in the middle of the state.

Suspend him for the first half

Jun 28, 2012, 9:45 AM

gets the point across, doesn't hurt the team too badly.

I think missing half of an important game is as big or bigger of a punishment than missing an entire game against an FCS school.

^^^ Appropriate and to the point ^^^ +1.***

Jun 28, 2012, 10:17 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Suspend him for the first half

Jun 28, 2012, 10:54 AM [ in reply to Suspend him for the first half ]

I agree with this, and not b/c I want to win the game and everything like that. What a lot of people don't know is that Sammy has been doing lots of other things to pay for his consequences. I don't think anyone but Dabo and Sammy knows what has been going on and said. I have several friend's younger siblings at Clemson and they have seen Sammy doing countless hours of community service. This goes far beyond the playing field in punishment. He has paid for months already with community service, speculation on boards, etc etc etc. He is remorseful for what he has done. However, if you don't think 60-70% of players on teams across the country (and yes, even on Clemson) smoke weed, you guys are crazy and naive. Happens everyone, I don't condone it, but it happens everywhere. He should be punished for the first half of the game, assuming (which I am sure he is) he is doing all the other right things.

i hate to say it, but suspending him would be the right

Jun 28, 2012, 9:46 AM

thing to do. it sucks. but we're no better than SC or the SEC if we don't do it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FAT TAX NOW!

Jun 28, 2012, 10:05 AM

He is going to be required to listen to Diptoola every day for a month.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

getting caught with prescription pills without a scrip is

Jun 28, 2012, 10:32 AM

pretty serious.

Missing the Auburn game is not a harsh penalty considering the offense.

Why not check the Bama locker room for HGH, Dudley?***

Jun 28, 2012, 10:36 AM

What are you talking about Doofus?***

Jun 28, 2012, 1:35 PM

I would say it totally depends on how Sammy responds to

Jun 28, 2012, 12:04 PM

punishment that will be handed down during the fall camp. If he responds well it may be as minimal as not starting or sitting out a quarter or half. If he doesn't respond well then it may be more extensive. Whatever the punishment is it's going to be scrutinized, criticized, and vilified in some form or fashion by everyone under the sun including our own.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2012, 12:34 PM

Let him run steps.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic