Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Rule question for ya?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Rule question for ya?

Nov 3, 2018, 2:08 PM

Watching the end of the half of the usuck vs Ole miss game. Ole miss runs the ball to the goal line and it's called a td on the field but a review is initiated to see if the runner broke the plane. The call is reversed and the runner is deemed to be down at 1/2 yard line. The referee announces that instead of a 10 second runoff Ole miss is charged with their last timeout. 14 seconds remained so if they didn't have a timeout it would've left 4 secs.

My question in all this is was that rule interpreted correctly? Why is the offensive team penalized for a booth initiated review? I understand time would've run off the clock if the call on the field would've been he was short to start with but I don't understand penalizing the offensive team for a missed call by the referee.

I think that's a bs rule. A challenge by the coach is one thing but a booth initiated review is another.

Discuss...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rule makes sense

Nov 3, 2018, 2:09 PM

It is aimed at not penalizing the defense in that situation for the initial bad call.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rule makes sense

Nov 3, 2018, 2:13 PM

So you penalize the offense instead? What if Ole miss had no timeouts and right at 10 secs.....they could've conceivably lined up fast enough to run a play/sneak.

I'd say 10 seconds

Nov 3, 2018, 2:21 PM

Is about right (and the minimum) to unstack the players, set the ball, and have the formation set in time to run a play.

I think the penalty (for the missed call) of having the clock stopped and the offensive team have extra time is a much bigger penalty on the defense (as it would be without the rule in place) then the likelihood the offensive team would've been able to unstack, reset, and get another play off.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'd say 10 seconds

Nov 3, 2018, 2:47 PM

I see what you're saying....the rule being in place will be fair to the defense more times than unfair to the offense.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic