Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I know this is being discussed below but here is yet another
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,140

I know this is being discussed below but here is yet another

Sep 18, 2019, 8:57 PM

State legislator trying to pass a "fair pay" bill:

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/27644345/ny-senator-proposes-bill-pay-college-athletes

If my count is right California passed a bill, South Carolina has politicians introducing a bill, and now New York is following suit. The quickest way to ruin college sports is to involve State legislatures and politicians. As a class of people, I despise politicians more than any other group of people on the planet. Politicians destroy everything they touch because 99% of the time they are clueless to the subject matter they are legislating, live off of emotional knee jerk reactions, have no spine when it comes to twitter/social media mobs, and are generally out for themselves at the expense of others. If there is a more arrogant, pompous group of blowhards in our society I have yet to find them.

For the love of College Football, we better hope the NCAA is successful in getting these types of bills ruled "un-constitutional" or you can bet your bottom dollar this will just be the start of the things legislatures will do to alter college sports. Wait till they start passing laws under the guise of "player safety". I can see a day where contact sports are eventually banned...

Likewise, the NCAA had better get their head out of the sand and start figuring out how to better compensate players in a manner that won't turn college football into a cash free for all among the have's and have-nots. Like it or not, compensating players in the premium sports (i.e. football and basketball) is coming and better for the NCAA to establish the method and means than allowing politicians to further muck things up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the Federal Government should step in and put a

Sep 18, 2019, 9:00 PM

halt to this crap. Otherwise, not only will it screw things up for the NCAA, but you will have different rules in different states, which is the kind of thing that led to the formation of the NCAA to begin with.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the Federal Government should step in and put a

Sep 18, 2019, 9:26 PM

You certainly don’t want the Federal Government involved in this. Name one thing those bozos have gotten right in the last 40 years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2019, 10:45 PM

They made Ketchup a vegetable, which balanced my diet out.

Scandalous , sir !

Sep 18, 2019, 11:37 PM [ in reply to Re: I think the Federal Government should step in and put a ]

The Fed has every red blooded American's best interest in mind , just ask them .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Sep 18, 2019, 11:45 PM [ in reply to I think the Federal Government should step in and put a ]

It’s easy to poke fun at the federal government but he has a good point. College athletics are interstate commerce, therefore any types of laws that affect college athletic should be at the federal level that at the state level. You can’t have schools from one state operating with one guideline competing with schools are operating on a totally different guidelines. This really is a federal, national matter, it is not a state issue.

Sep 19, 2019, 8:25 AM

stltiger59 said:

It’s easy to poke fun at the federal government but he has a good point. College athletics are interstate commerce, therefore any types of laws that affect college athletic should be at the federal level that at the state level. You can’t have schools from one state operating with one guideline competing with schools are operating on a totally different guidelines. This really is a federal, national matter, it is not a state issue.

That is probably the tact the NCAA will take in a court challenge. However, I think the bigger point is that Government at any level, State or Federal, has no business getting involved in Collegiate athletics that are part of the NCAA. The NCAA is a private organization made up of member colleges who voluntarily agree to participate under the private organizations rules. We already have way too much Government intrusion into our private lives, the last thing we need is Government intrusion into how cooperative and voluntary private organizations are run. Just wait - if politicians are successful in this endeavor what is to stop them from doing the same thing to all sports - collegiate and professional. Imagine what a group of politicians will do to the NFL and NBA.

We have gone so far from the founding principle of limited government that I fear what our country will be like in another 20 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My simplistic proposal.

Sep 18, 2019, 9:11 PM

Tie scholarships to graduation. Player signed counts as a scholarship (85 or 15) for either six years or until he graduates. Kentucky recruits 5 1-and-doners. They all leave for the NBA. For the following five years, Kentucky has 10 ships. Do it againa and they would only have 5 for the next 4 years.

Schools who recruit kids and allow them to just do the minimum to stay "academically eligible" would lose those ships for two years, assuming the kid stayed 4 years.

Recruit 25 kids. 5 quit after their freshman year. School has 80 ships for the next five years. If five more quit the next year, they would be down to 75 for four years, assuming nobody in the next class quit.

Put the emphasis on recruiting kids who want to graduate, not just play around in class and head to the NFL as quickly as possible.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I know this is being discussed below but here is yet another

Sep 18, 2019, 11:13 PM

There is no state or federal government or government-run agency in America that could do anything but destroy college sports. Politicians are weasils.

All they would do is figure out how they could parlay the whole thing into votes and further enrich themselves.

"Lawmakers" are used car salespeople and "we buy houses" people. Leaches and scavengers who sit at hearings behind signs that say "Honorable....so&so." That "Honorable" is self proclaimed too - like "self-ordained" TV ministers.

Speaking of the SC Legislature, aren't most of those people Coot lawyers who graduated from Coot Law School? We'd be back playing "Big Thursday" before you could say "Todd Ellis."

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,140
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic