Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
PBS "Reconstruction" highly recommended.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 546

PBS "Reconstruction" highly recommended.

Apr 10, 2019, 10:32 AM

I must admit that for a long time I bought into the revisionist history about Southern Heritage etc. But I have learnt a lot in recent years, and though I'm not about to go for restitution or judge everything that happened long ago by current standards, it's clear that a whole lot was done in the South, and other places, that just wasn't right. I watched this show last night, it's great. No telling when it comes on in your area. As a side note, things were worser in many places than in SC.

https://www.pbs.org/show/reconstruction-america-after-civil-war/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That period of time has certainly been romanticized

Apr 10, 2019, 10:36 AM

by many in the south.

But we weren't there, and can't help what happened. Hell, I'm here now and can't help what happens.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That period of time has certainly been romanticized

Apr 10, 2019, 12:04 PM

Recent mention of reparations got me wondering if all those deaded yanquis need a share also?

I'd be happy to accept, on behalf of all northerners that

Apr 10, 2019, 1:56 PM

have been deaded for 155 years.

Just paypal my tmail, kthxbye

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

(insert damyankee joke here)***

Apr 10, 2019, 3:32 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: will do

Apr 10, 2019, 10:52 AM

almost needing its own thread, I started watching "Our Planet" from Netflix. New documentary with Attenborough commentating. Pretty gruesome stuff at times, and heavy investment into telling the audience we're effing up the planet. But, a good watch if you like such things. I have enjoyed the first 3 episodes.

I read about the walrus scene this morning

Apr 10, 2019, 1:53 PM

do not want

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I read about the walrus scene this morning

Apr 10, 2019, 2:45 PM

That was horrible!

Do they talk about the Lost Cause at all?

Apr 10, 2019, 10:55 AM

I have recently finished The Soul of America and it has a chapter about the Reconstruction era. Highly recommend that book - it is quite good.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes they do. Implied that whole concept was swallowed whole

Apr 10, 2019, 11:30 AM

by Southerners to some degree, to this very day. Revisionist history kicked in starting at Appomattox, and a very thorough job was done.

Re: I have heard it said

Apr 10, 2019, 12:01 PM

That Southern women, bitter about the suffering and hardship, were primarily the reason for perpetuating the hatred. The soldiers seemed to let things go a little easier.

From sitting around the family gatherings as a child, there could be some basis to this argument.

how does it portray the carpetbaggers?

Apr 10, 2019, 1:39 PM

and what about the carpet munchers?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just capitalism at it’s worst. The carpet baggers

Apr 10, 2019, 2:07 PM

were kind of like Irish Travellers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Caught a bit of it last night

Apr 10, 2019, 7:51 PM

Told grouchingwife I didn't want to watch it because I didn't want to hear about my home state getting trashed. Of course, being Arizonian, she states it was about improvements being made. This was not an argument I was getting into.

Watched about a half hour or so, including the part about the guy from Beaufort that became a State Rep then State Senator (his name escapes me).

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought SC came out portrayed better than other states.

Apr 10, 2019, 10:47 PM

in general, and in interviews, and in actions/results of those politicians of the time.

Replies: 14
| visibility 546
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic