Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
You know what makes no sense Brownell supporters?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

You know what makes no sense Brownell supporters?

Mar 13, 2016, 12:37 AM

How the #### does a George Washington, Valparaiso, Wichita State, Monmouth, IPFW, Stephen Austin, Northern Iowa, Webber State, Oakland, etc. have success in the tourney yet a school paying their coach millions of dollars not even make it in five years. The resources argument makes no ####### sense. George ####### Mason almost won it all. VCU had good years. It's coaching. An idiot should be able to recruit to Clemson versus a mid major.

So sick of hearing people talk about resources, and ignoring the fact that plenty of small schools succeed in basketball investing ####.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hear you, but I think you are underestimating the cloud cast by football

Mar 13, 2016, 12:40 AM

at Clemson. As far as basketball is concerned, we are too much of a football school. The perception is that we don't care about basketball - both the administration and fans. A bit unfair, but perception is reality. You don't have that issue at George Mason, Valparaiso, etc.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I hear you, but I think you are underestimating the cloud cast by football

Mar 13, 2016, 12:44 AM

So you think Valpo and George Mason can recruit better and get a better coach? That is cray cray. I don't care if basketball wasn't even on tv here. It is ####### Clemson. Versus tiny ####### schools.. That is illogical...

Mar 13, 2016, 11:23 AM

We can get a worse coach too. It is not an ideal science. Give him one year in the new Littlejohn and if it doesn't equal success - I won't complain.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Mar 13, 2016, 9:09 AM [ in reply to I hear you, but I think you are underestimating the cloud cast by football ]

Cloud cast by football? Yeah, that really hurt the Gators too.. Football conference, football school yet Billy the Kid turned that joke of a program around.

That's not an ecause. Neither is our facilities or fan base support.

Florida is in the SEC

Mar 13, 2016, 9:55 AM

Where a 20 + win SC team may get in and only has Kentucky to compete against.

Poor example is poor

The Robert Morris transfer we are recruiting said football

Mar 13, 2016, 11:45 AM [ in reply to I hear you, but I think you are underestimating the cloud cast by football ]

was a big draw for him. He was just kicked off the team and we offered him shortly thereafter. He won't be able to help us get to the tournament next year, but he likes what he hears from his friend and former teammate Marquise Reed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2016, 1:31 PM [ in reply to I hear you, but I think you are underestimating the cloud cast by football ]

I hear ya judge...but I would only respond with Univ. of Fla. Clearly a football school for decades but won the BB Natty as well.

It's all in the coaching.

IMHO :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You know what makes no sense Brownell supporters?

Mar 13, 2016, 12:59 AM

except they play no where near the level of competition night in and night out that we do. If you wanted to make a reasonable complaint about brownell, it is that his teams do not get out of the gate very quickly.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2016, 1:00 AM

Yet they beat those same teams after getting to the tournament

GW NCAA record isn't that great and

Mar 13, 2016, 1:14 AM

George Mason's run wax years ago and shows what happens when you build a solid cast of seniors/juniors on and off the bench.

If you're going to use these schools as example, do some research so you don't seem so out of touch

Brownell took "no name" schools to the tournament, twice by the way.

Mar 13, 2016, 1:09 AM

I don't understand it either.

I don't buy the whole "football school" excuse.

Build a successful program, and people will come.

Are Clemson fans really believing and allowing basketball recruits (men's and women's) to think that Columbia has more to offend the Clemson? Seriously?

Actually Columbia has way more to offend than Clemson ...

Mar 13, 2016, 1:22 AM

I assume you meant "offer" (not "offend'), but the smartarse in me couldn't resist.

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To be fair... basketball is the bellcow for many of those

Mar 13, 2016, 1:23 AM

you could argue VCU is a much better job than Clemson

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how many of those schools have to go through the ACC to get

Mar 13, 2016, 1:56 AM

a bid?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We would be in the tourny if we were in some of their conf.*

Mar 13, 2016, 5:14 AM

nm

Mar 13, 2016, 6:23 AM

What I find funny is that the OP thinks that being a Clemson basketball supporter is somehow an insult. Brownell is the coach, for now. Of course I'm going to support him to lead our team and get them to play the best they can. In the end, I'm not going to blame him for our guys missing free throws at crucial times. My thinking is, if the OP can do better, apply for the job and show is credentials. If not, stop showing your ###.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2016, 8:00 AM

^^^^Logic FAIL.

What you are saying is that ONLY COACHES that are better than any coach that we currently have can actually complain about our current coaches. Is that about right????

When did you say that t-net is shutting down?? Or do we just talk about politics? Vote Trump. Okay - can I stay now?

Mar 13, 2016, 10:43 AM

Sorry but unless you are a former US president or running in the primarys you can't criticize the current adim.

Mar 13, 2016, 8:06 AM [ in reply to Re: You know what makes no sense Brownell supporters? ]

fencebuster, excellent post and spot on!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2016, 9:04 AM

OP is clueless at best. There is a reason Clemson has never been good at basketball for more than very short periods of time. The good periods always end with probation or a coach leaving for a better job. All the mid major jobs have a couple of things over CU. 1) they are located in or near an urban center. 2) they are the top dog sport at their school

OP should do a little homework before looking so foolish

Mar 13, 2016, 10:48 AM

I'm tired of hearing it too. Rick Barnes found a way to have the basketball team ranked #2 at one point. He took this team to the tournament as well as Purnell.

whining about the ACC being tough =Coots whining about being in the SEC***

Mar 13, 2016, 10:56 AM

Amen!***

Mar 13, 2016, 11:16 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 13, 2016, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Re: You know what makes no sense Brownell supporters? ]

Brownell took the team to the NCAAs. Give him one more year in the new Littlejohn and we can discuss this situatin - this time next year.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I wonder if any of those schools want to play

Mar 13, 2016, 11:38 AM

us in football?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Maybe we should switch conference in MBB?

Mar 13, 2016, 11:47 AM

one solution...

I think it comes down to...

Mar 13, 2016, 2:44 PM

How some of us are saying it. Some folks are trashing coaches and players
left and right rather than just saying, "i think it would be better we just
move on".....wish em the best, lada, lada, lada.
A lot of us are probably guilty of that, right.

Brad is a good guy, I am sure. But like you, I think it's time for results
in 016.

I'm done with Brownell, but...

Mar 13, 2016, 4:21 PM

What you are describing is not a Brownell issue; it is an NCAA tournament issue. The tournament is not made up of the best 64 teams. Logic tells me that it would be best to have the best 64 teams in the tournament; but that would take away virtually all the opportunity of the small conference teams. So, we must be competitive in the ACC and fare well OOC to make it in. It is the Jekyll and Hyde inconsistency under the leadership of Brownell and staff that is keeping us from getting there. It's clear now that they will have to go if that is going to change.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic