Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Chinkapins or Chinquapins
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,353

Chinkapins or Chinquapins

Sep 20, 2020, 8:39 PM

Have any of you ever eaten a chinkapin? They are a very special treat. They used to grow wild in many parts of the southeast. There were a lot of the bushes in the area where I grew up in North Florida. Normally, they are small trees or large bushes. The ones I was familiar with were small bushes, anywhere from knee high to hip high. In the 1920's they were plentiful and when they were mature, we went chinkapin gathering. They began dying out and by the mid 1930's almost all in that area had died. I have not had a chinkapin since that time. The chinkapin is in the Chestnut family which was almost wiped out many years ago.

In the Saturday, Sept. 19 issue of the Seneca Journal there was an article re Dr. Joseph James of Seneca, a retired orthopedic surgeon. His mission was to bring back the chinkapin which was on the brink of extinction. He has had success in his endeavors and hopefully we will once again enjoy the fruits of his labors.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Chinkapins or Chinquapins

Sep 20, 2020, 8:52 PM

Joe, we used to have a lake house on Chinquapin Lane. Until I read your post I never knew where that strange name came from. We had lots of trees but no clue if any had the missing fruit. Wish I’d known then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2020, 8:29 AM

There is a creek in Batesburg Leesville area that is named Chinquapin Creek that I have driven over. Always wondered about the origin, so now I know. Its a headwater for the North Edisto. Thanks!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this the "bush" of which you speak?

Sep 20, 2020, 9:08 PM
IMG_2158.PNG(180.7 K)

Found this available through:

Willis Orchard Company 866-586-6283
200 McCormick Road
Cartersville, GA 30120
orders@willisorchards.com

While I've always heard of them, I have never seen any . . . and clearly never tasted one!

There is even a city named Chinquapin in North Carolina!!! (Located about midway between Clinton and Jacksonville)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2020, 10:12 PM

I’m usually a lurker here but I saw this and thought I’d chime in. The chinquapin is closely related to the American Chestnut and thus also suffers from the chestnut blight, a fungus imported from the Chinese chestnut that has essentially destroyed chinquapins and chestnuts.

Young American Chestnuts can still be found, mostly in in the mountains, as the blight spares the root stock and can then regrow from suckers. The fungus will kill the tree usually before it produces any nuts. Likewise with the chinquapin.

I think the SC botanical garden may have a Chinquapin.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2020, 11:24 PM

Tiger1517, with commentary like that, don’t stay away so long from this board. You may have noticed it’s in need of some intelligent life ; )

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chinkapin is probably a racist writing of a Chinquapin***

Sep 20, 2020, 11:38 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have one in my yard

Sep 21, 2020, 8:33 AM

I live in Oconee County.

Squirrels seem to get all the bounty. Tree always full of the nuts/fruit. Never tried to eat one myself because I didn't really know how to crack it open, and they are thorny as heck. Maybe I'll try one this Fall.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have one in my yard

Sep 21, 2020, 8:57 AM

Most wild animals, including deer, love the nuts. When mature, the burr opens and it's easy to extract the nut. If you ever eat one you will understand why the animals love them. We had few if any wild animals where I lived in the 1920's, so there was was no competition between man and beast, only between humans.

Squirrels are smart. They will eat corn and other items in a garden just before they are ready to harvest. I had a couple of fig trees and the rascals would eat just a few bites out of every fig. I solved that problem by having the trees cut down. If I had no figs to eat, neither would they.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My dad planted one, I hate cutting grass by it***

Sep 21, 2020, 8:50 AM

Sep 21, 2020, 8:53 AM

Pretty nice hike and views if anyone is interested.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/north-carolina/chinquapin-mountain-trail

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,353
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic