Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well boys, Ole Spud is just happy to be making this post
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Well boys, Ole Spud is just happy to be making this post

Jul 7, 2018, 10:31 PM

tonight.. Yessir, after looking at the weather report for Mt. Pleasant today, I decided to head out from Litchfield at 11:30 for Paradise Point on the Wando. The forecast called for scattered showers to start about 4 pm,so being the optimist, I figured I could get in MAYBE 3 hours of sagfe fishing and possibly make it to high tide at about 5:30 ....Well, I launched my boat at 1 pm, ran a couple of miles maybe to my first spot and when I looked back at Paradise Point...this is what I saw....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not too bad I thought, but I had one eye on the water and

Jul 7, 2018, 10:36 PM

the other on that cloud for about 20 whole minutes, watching a fair amount of lightening before I decided it would be fruitful to crank up and head farther south away from that storm. So, I pulled up the trolling motor and took off to my second spot near the new marina at the bridge on 41. Boys, I made maybe 3 casts and this is what I saw!!!!

Ole Spud was about to get in over his head. So...

Jul 7, 2018, 10:44 PM

I made an executive decision to run over to the marina PDQ , tie up my boat in any slot I could find and run to the restaurant to hide out. Well sir, I got to the marina and the mananger and two student workers, one from The Citadel and the other from Coastal Carolina helped tie my boat up and as soon as I set foot on the dock, THE BIGGEST BOLT of lightening I have ever seen hit a house on the mainland.I regret to tell you I have no more pictures of the storm, because I left my phone, wallet and money clip in the boat in my desire to check out the new restaurant for the first time. But, I can report that a waitress said the Fire Department had been called to put out a fire in the house that was hit. And if any of you know anyone that lives in the area, they can attest that this storm was a humdinger. I mean, it came from nowhere in 20 to 30 minutes. It was without a doubt one of the worst 2 or 3 storms I have ever been caught in...

Re: Ole Spud was about to get in over his head. So...***

Jul 7, 2018, 10:51 PM

Anyway, after about an hour, the coast cleared and I decided

Jul 7, 2018, 10:51 PM [ in reply to Ole Spud was about to get in over his head. So... ]
Spottail.jpg(176.1 K)

to haul $%^ back to Paradise like a responsible husband and get out of harm way....But, fellas....I'm a fisherman! And I was running up river and the water was slick,and I saw this little rip coming by some grass and I just had to hit it....knowwhaddimean? Well, it made my day and my week....Nothing like a spottail busting a spook on top!!! Heading home tomorrow and it won't be long before the real fun starts!!!

Re: Anyway, after about an hour, the coast cleared and I decided

Jul 7, 2018, 11:12 PM

Let's don't mention to the wife that while facing death, your last thoughts were about fishing. What happens on the Wondo stays on the Wando.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+2 for two photos in the correct orientation!

Jul 7, 2018, 11:17 PM [ in reply to Anyway, after about an hour, the coast cleared and I decided ]

And for making it home safely.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: Anyway, after about an hour, the coast cleared and I decided

Jul 8, 2018, 12:06 PM [ in reply to Anyway, after about an hour, the coast cleared and I decided ]

Spud® said:

to haul $%^ back to Paradise like a responsible husband and get out of harm way....But, fellas....I'm a fisherman! And I was running up river and the water was slick,and I saw this little rip coming by some grass and I just had to hit it....knowwhaddimean? Well, it made my day and my week....Nothing like a spottail busting a spook on top!!! Heading home tomorrow and it won't be long before the real fun starts!!!

Nice Red Drum. If you grill that bad boy with Mesquite wood, you will think you've died and gone to fish-cooking heaven.

Spud I really like your fishing posts, keep 'em comin!

Re: Ole Spud was about to get in over his head. So...

Jul 7, 2018, 10:54 PM [ in reply to Ole Spud was about to get in over his head. So... ]

Glad you got back safely and had a nice meal at the marina. I spent my childhood in the remote Bahamas and rural South Carolina and I had plenty of experiences in a 17 foot boat with 18 foot seas. Squalls come up quickly.

I had just checked my bilge pump a month or so ago , but it

Jul 7, 2018, 11:03 PM

failed me today when I needed it most. When I got back to the ramp and loaded my boat on the trailer, I took out the plug and the water ran out like a hose pipe on full blast for 10 solid minutes...I have never had that much water in my boat. NEVER!

Re: I had just checked my bilge pump a month or so ago , but it

Jul 8, 2018, 8:26 AM

when I was a little kid I was to hold the boat at the dock till my dad parked the truck and returned. He had left the transom plugs out. So once I notice I'm yelling for him and he had parked far away. The boat is riding lower and lower. I think once on plane it took 10-15 to drain

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember the days well when I fished out of a leaky 14'

Jul 8, 2018, 5:40 PM

flat bottom boat. I had to take off and run it about every hour on the hour and pull the plug to let the water out.....

Re: Ole Spud was about to get in over his head. So...

Jul 7, 2018, 11:10 PM [ in reply to Ole Spud was about to get in over his head. So... ]

Live in the area and can certainly attest it was a bad un, Spud! Formed quickly and was very strong.
Sorry you were caught in it but glad you are safe!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

I am going to send the manager of that marina and his two

Jul 7, 2018, 11:19 PM

helpers a token of my appreciation. They knew I was in a bad spot and were very accomodating. If they would have run me off I am not sure what I could have done. That storm blew up in 5 minutes max.

Message was edited by: Spud®

Re: I am going to send the manager of that marina and his two

Jul 7, 2018, 11:34 PM

Sounds like you definitely need too. That could have gone south real real quick. I’m sure I’m not telling you anything you don’t know but you did realize there’s a hurricane trying to form just north of little river and a early July cold front squeezing the west... Ole Spuds a smart guy but you had to know nuttin but nasty could come from that scenario.

Thanks for posting. That was actually good bedtime story!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 7, 2018, 11:39 PM [ in reply to I am going to send the manager of that marina and his two ]

Oh, was going to say you could always send them some $2 bills and a signed Spud special fishing cap!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2018, 12:00 AM [ in reply to I am going to send the manager of that marina and his two ]

The Saturday Night Joke

The king wanted to go fishing, and he asked the royal weather forecaster the forecast for the next few hours.

The palace meteorologist assured him that there was no chance of rain so the king and the queen went fishing.

On the way he met a man with a fishing pole riding on a donkey, and he asked the man if the fish were biting.

The fisherman said, "Your Majesty, you should return to the palace! In just a short time I expect a huge rain storm."

The king replied: "I hold the palace meteorologist in high regard. He is an educated and experienced professional. Besides, I pay him very high wages. He gave me a very different forecast. I trust him."

So the king continued on his way.

However, in a short time a torrential rain fell from the sky. The King and Queen were totally soaked.

Furious, the king returned to the palace and gave the order to fire the meteorologist.

Then he summoned the fisherman and offered him the prestigious position of royal forecaster.

The fisherman said, "Your Majesty, I do not know anything about forecasting. I obtain my information from my donkey. If I see my donkey's ears drooping, it means with certainty that it will rain."

So the king hired the donkey.

And thus began the practice of hiring dumb ##### to work in influential positions of government. The practice is unbroken to this date.

Thus, the democratic party symbol was born

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jul 8, 2018, 12:37 AM

Ouch. That one hurt. How’d you know I worked for state government though? However, I live in Lexington S.C. and we’re pretty partial to elephants in these parts.

+1 for the joke and the swipe.

Re: Well boys, Ole Spud is just happy to be making this post

Jul 7, 2018, 10:39 PM

Glad you made it back safely Spud, after seeing what a lighting strike can do to a man I'll never take my chances again!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't mess around with it.....nearly got struck 30 years

Jul 7, 2018, 10:57 PM

ago. Walked my 2 year old daughter up to the church steps and went back with the umbrella to get my wife. On the way to the car the umbrella started buzzing and the hair on my arms stood up. I tossed the umbrella to the ground just before it hit betweem me and the church, knocking all the power out. It was at a wedding in Gaffney....I haven't taken too many chances since that day!!

well, looks like you had the lake to yourself.

Jul 7, 2018, 11:11 PM

that's a plus

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2018, 8:15 AM

I was in a house and saw a bolt of lightning explode a house about 100 yards away once. Scary as heck. Deafing thunderclap.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 8, 2018, 11:57 AM

Was right there with ya, Spud. Was in the Wando and instead of heading back home up Wagner Creek we pulled up at the marina to wait it out over a few cocktails, saw that scary bolt of lightning.

Mere flim-flam stories and nothing but shams and lies

I only get down that way about 3 or 4 times a year, and only

Jul 8, 2018, 5:43 PM

fish maybe 15 times. But, over the last 15 years that I have been doing that, that is the closest I have come to being in real trouble. Have you ever seen a storm come up that fast?

Jul 8, 2018, 4:52 PM

Ole Spud ----- I enjoy your fishing stories and the photographic proof of your catch, particularly when I don't have to get in a horizontal position to take a peek. I don't mind getting in the horizontal position but at my age, the getting up is a chore. Glad you were safe and out of the storm but there is always something missing in your fishing stories, when the heck is the fish fry?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic