Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I Have Been Evacuated
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 3,078

I Have Been Evacuated

Sep 11, 2018, 5:14 PM

There I was in Myrtle Beach enjoying the sunshine, watching the incoming and outgoing tides, spotting two fishing boats off shore and two tugs, each towing something with tall posts heading North. I wish TigerDug could have been there so he could tell me how far out they were and what the heck were they towing. The tows looked to be too tall for passage on the Intercoastal Waterway.

With all of that excitement going on I had little time to devote to my research on Kudzu. Hope to finish that up in the next few days and post my results on TigerNet.

Traffic from Myrtle Beach on SC 22 was not too heavy but when we reached US 501 west of Conway and merged with that traffic, traffic was heavy. I 20 from Florence to Columbia was not too bad but road work near Bishopville created one lane traffic and traffic was backed up for several miles. I-26 from Columbia North was not too bad once we were out of the Columbia area. We left Myrtle Beach at &:45 AM so apparently we were ahead of the really heavy traffic.

Late yesterday afternoon it appeared many motorists were filling their gas tanks before departing and by early evening several stations were completely out of gas. It reminded me of the gas shortage of several years ago. Cars were lined up waiting for an empty spot at a gas pump.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Joe....you’re a treasure!

Sep 11, 2018, 5:21 PM

I’ve read all of your post and admired and enjoyed each one. I’m glad you’re safe at home, sorry your time at Myrtle Beach was cut short. Thanks for your kind, genuine and enjoyable posts. Take care and Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I Have Been Evacuated

Sep 11, 2018, 5:31 PM

Be safe Joe. I'm holding tight in Charleston for now. We'll see what they are predicting tomorrow.

House and cars are ready just in case but I think we'll be fine down here.

Sep 12, 2018, 8:55 PM

Hope you have gas because according to everyone there’s no gas in Charleston.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2018, 5:33 PM

If the pipes looked like this Joe21 , it's a spud barge . They're sort of onsite work platforms used in marine engineering and construction phase projects . Cranes drop those pipes , or " spuds" as they're called into the mud securing the barge on the spot.
They only set up in water that has a depth of 40 ft or less ... generally.
Second pick is for those tugboat fetishistslike myself ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Don't tell Spud 'bout

Sep 11, 2018, 7:38 PM

them barges. He'll want one for catfishing...

Sep 11, 2018, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Re: I Have Been Evacuated ]

TigerDug --- The tows were so far out the only thing I could actually detect were the tall poles. I could see two on one tow and at least four on the other tow. Had I not seen the poles I would have missed everything. I could not really see the tugs good enough but had to assume they were tugs. I figured the poles were too tall to go under some of the bridges on the Intercoastal Waterway. I'm not a good judge of distance over open water but would guess the tows were at least 3 to 4 miles,. or maybe more, off shore. By the way, the seas were pretty calm yesterday in that area.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad you are home safely, Joe!***

Sep 11, 2018, 8:41 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 7
| visibility 3,078
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic