Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How to save the ACC: if it wants to be saved
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

How to save the ACC: if it wants to be saved

May 23, 2012, 7:57 AM
tombstone.jpg(32.8 K)

Time is short, but I'm one who feels that even a flawed marriage can be saved....if both sides are open to change. And like most folks here, I like the proximity of road games, traditional rivalries and the nuances of a conference we helped establish decades ago.

That said, an abusive relationship, once recognized, cannot survive. And Clemson and FSU and tacitly VTech, have come to realize just what an abusive relationship this has become. It's not just us becoming the conference's Sugar Daddies, tossing baubles and new cars at the aging strumpets in North Carolina. It's now more like we're the only family members willing to go out and work, bringing our paychecks home to the aging mansion at the end of the road, only to have our relatives take the check, feed us moldy oatmeal and belittle us for our work ethic.

You want to fix the ACC? That's where to start. Remove the structure that robs the hard-working. Give FSU, Clemson, VTech and any other football program that wants to help boost this wretched band of leeches into a more profitable position.

Here's how to do that:

1. Assuming we're not going to start tossing out the conference deadweight, the ACC will need to either create or enlist two more football schools, one for each division. Don't care who, don't care how. We must also get to the bottom of the reports that Miami is considering drawing away from the football table.

This conference needs at least a half-dozen reputable football powers that can compete on a national stage any given year if it wishes to remain in the big-boy football money.

2. Restructure allocation of the money brought in. Big football costs big bucks, and taking money away from the sport to boost our illustrious lacrosse programs won't help. There must be a re-balancing to help the football teams compete.

The details can be worked out in the future. Just say you're ready to make meaningful change, and odds are FSU, Clemson and VTech will listen.

3. Toss out the old walking bosses. There is no way any of this takes place with the current ACC overlord structure. And, alas, this is why I am most convinced none of this comes to pass. We cannot trust the men who spit in our face and at the same time picked our pockets.

IF the ACC was willing to do those three things it could be be saved. But I see little hope of that. My ultimate vision of the conference and an athletic Masada, with Swofford lobbing basketballs at the approaching armies below....until there's nothing left to save.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe the 9 game conf schedule was FSU and CU's last

May 23, 2012, 8:07 AM

discussion with the ACC.

We weren't listened to and said screw it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I believe the 9 game conf schedule was FSU and CU's last

May 23, 2012, 8:12 AM

After being involved with this for 50 yrs I am so tired of the treament we receive from the ACC that I wouldn't care if we went to Conf USA. Anything but the ACC!!

That was definitely a decision made by people who were not

May 23, 2012, 8:12 AM [ in reply to I believe the 9 game conf schedule was FSU and CU's last ]

thinking about football. And it was made by people whose rivalries are in the conference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I believe the 9 game conf schedule was FSU and CU's last

May 23, 2012, 8:20 AM [ in reply to I believe the 9 game conf schedule was FSU and CU's last ]

lots of reasons to leave the dead ACC(its still breathing but not for long).IMHO the ACC(swoffie) is sticking it to us and FSU @ every opportunity!!it is past time to leave that bunch!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True dat, Caddie! Goes to how we were valued in conference

May 23, 2012, 8:21 AM [ in reply to I believe the 9 game conf schedule was FSU and CU's last ]

When the few football powers you have say "This is a BAD idea!" abut a decision involving football, you sort of realize your place in the business.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the train is moving down the tracks from Greensboro

May 23, 2012, 8:12 AM

to Dallas and it's not turning around

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I fully anticipate the ACC to make a last ditch effort

May 23, 2012, 8:15 AM

to save itself...

What that might include? I don't know. Will it be enough? I guess it depends on what they offer.

However, at this point, I don't think it matters.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

that's like the husband who beats his wife offering to cut

May 23, 2012, 8:16 AM

the grass to get her to stay....he's still going to beat her but the yard will look nice for the neighbors to look at.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I fully anticipate the ACC to make a last ditch effort

May 23, 2012, 8:22 AM [ in reply to I fully anticipate the ACC to make a last ditch effort ]

why would U think that??? every chance the ACC and swoffie get they just stick it to us more and more!!!the ACC is all about baskb and U&NC and Duke.. time for us to move on...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honestly, York, I don't .....

May 23, 2012, 8:24 AM [ in reply to I fully anticipate the ACC to make a last ditch effort ]

In the true sociopathic nature known as The Carolina Way, I expect them to wave as FSU, Clemson and VTech pack up and leave.

Then I expect UNC and a couple of other fortunates to walk off to the B1G leaving the ACC behind. "We've grown apart," the Heels will say ... conveniently forgetting that their flaws an unwillingness to change are what led to the utter ruin of the conference.

Re: Honestly, York, I don't .....

May 23, 2012, 8:56 AM

Exactly Rev. I think your statement come from the thread extracted from the Tar-ed heels last night. The position the acc is in right now, they don't take one smidgen of responsibility, NONE. I hope and pray that Clemson dose nothing in trying to save what swoffy and uncheat will destroy again. Cutting our losses and earning a seat in another conference will be the best for Clemson. Going back to the saving a marriage situation. Trying to save the acc is no different than the abusive husband saying I won't beat the wife again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2012, 8:56 AM [ in reply to I fully anticipate the ACC to make a last ditch effort ]

I would think the ACC might revisit the nine game format
and drop back to eight and change the bowl money share to allow the team in the bowl more income. If those two things are done then it is a much better situation for the football schools and staying rather than leaving becomes a much better option.

May 23, 2012, 9:06 AM

N E V E R ! ! ! Being a FB school in the acc is absolutely no different than being a bottom of the barrel Laborer on a construction site. You can never be fair to someone you can never respect.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It will be too little too late IMO.....

May 23, 2012, 8:57 AM [ in reply to I fully anticipate the ACC to make a last ditch effort ]

The things the ACC could potentially propose are things the league should have already been doing because it was the right thing to do and not based on some knee jerk reaction in a weak eleventh hour attempt to save the league after its fed-up football members (and highest revenue earners) have already made the decision to leave.

The ACC had its best chance when the football schools proposed retaining 50% of the bowl revenue they generated but, of course, the football schools couldn't muster enough votes to get it passed.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Good morning Rev!

May 23, 2012, 8:17 AM

I am with you. Survival of the fittest at this point and Greensboro is literally flat lining. If in fact we are about to venture into the unknown , aka, Big 12, then so be it. Venture we must.

My personal dislike in all of this mess of playing almost half of our games in a different time zone, the traveling fan will be the big loser. I cannot believe as many Clemson faithful with make road trips. The entire landscape of football has changed, right down to scheduling bowl games in the middle of the week.

But it is what it is. Greensboro wants a basketball conference, so be it. Shame though because with proper leadership the ACC had the chance to be a player going forward and had some of the pieces in place to do so. But the world does not revolve around Roy Williams and Mike Krysdfdhksdfweski.

I just hope that the traveling Clemson fan, alum or not, buys into whatever decision is made and continues to travel to support Clemson football on the road!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think this elitist academia attitude of the conference

May 23, 2012, 8:20 AM

with the blue bloods of NC really turned off any other conf for wanting to work with us.

Why would Clemson want to remain in the ACC???***

May 23, 2012, 8:18 AM

Usually agree with you Rev but not this time.

May 23, 2012, 8:20 AM

There are not any football programs that would consider coming in to save this sinking ship. Who is there? Penn State, Notre Dame? It's laughable to think either one of those would join this conference with or without Swofford based on their current situations and potential suitors. The opportunity to save this conference passed many years ago and I for one don't want to see Clemson left on the outside looking in. When opportunity knocks you take it otherwise you often end up regretting the choice of not acting. The field has to be leveled financially with South Carolina. The ACC doesn't have the teams or markets to make that happen and there is no white knight program that will come in and save it. Forget about it and move on.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

who would come here now?

May 23, 2012, 8:23 AM

the other 4 conf have dance partners for bowl games and cross scheduling...we have the Big East or Conf USA or MAC?

Re: who would come here now?

May 23, 2012, 8:46 AM

don't even want anyone else to come in now. That ship has sailed. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. the fact is it's to late to try to make the ACC work in this new era and the traveling fans are such a minority that no-one really cares about - see Mizzou & TA&M

The Pac-12 would be a candidate for a cross-scheduling

May 23, 2012, 3:39 PM [ in reply to who would come here now? ]

OOC series. Two year home and away deals seeding the teams 1-12 from the prior two years' records. Choose one weekend of the season, preferably October before the first BCS rankings come out, and make it a coast to coast package. It's not like the top football teams in the ACC all of a sudden became irrelevant. We just have greater challenges to overcome than programs in other leagues right now.

Maybe the Sugar or Orange Bowl would be open to the ACC champion vs. the top non-playoff team not already tied to the Rose or $EC/Big XII game, and held on New Year's Day. It's not quite as sizzling as the other two games, but we haven't exactly provided prime cuts for grilling the past ten years. If the playoff scenario is simply the top 4 teams, there's as good a chance for an ACC program to make the tournament as any league provided we have someone that takes care of business on the field. We have some strong brands that, if we're winning, draw large TV crowds and media attention, the same as anyone.

The new SEC/B12 game is a 5-year deal, as will likely be the new playoff format. The ACC's current TV opens up at the same time also.

Staying put in the ACC is not the end of the world, provided fundamental changes happen quickly with leadership, and the revenue sharing model which helps build the league's football brands instead of sapping their strength.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed: My OP was just how the ACC could be saved...

May 23, 2012, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Usually agree with you Rev but not this time. ]

...I have little belief that it will.

You want to save the acc??

May 23, 2012, 8:42 AM

Kill the head of the snake.

New blood is needed in this conference. Without it....nothing changes.

Re: How to save the ACC: if it wants to be saved

May 23, 2012, 9:05 AM

I think they could have saved it by doing ONE thing...

Let teams keep 50% of their bowl revenue for themselves.

It is complete ######### we have to share bowl money with teams like Duke who arent even trying in Football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: How to save the ACC: if it wants to be saved

May 23, 2012, 9:08 AM

I don't believe this is possible - from a football standpoint. There were several schools that (apparently) had expressed interest in joining the ACC - most notably Texas and WVU. But the ACC said "No thanks" - really???!!!

If not Texas and WVU - then what other football school will we accept?

Anyway - seems like the opportunities came & went - & the ACC said no. To turn around now is too little too late.

The baseball tourney setup cinched it for me, time to leave

May 23, 2012, 9:27 AM

How do the three NC schools get the six slots in 7:00pm games. We were hoping for a 7:00pm Friday game and were going but we can only make the Saturday game now so will try to get to the regional. The tourney setup is unfair and the time slots should be set by seeds not teams. It is not even a tourney!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Heavyweight fights have their ring walks. CFB has Clemson's grandest entrance in sports."
Chris Fowler

Re: The baseball tourney setup cinched it for me, time to leave

May 23, 2012, 9:49 AM

Again, swoffy continues giving his Pets the prime slices of the pork. This should if nothing else ever will, proves that it will never change. How could we ever give any consideration in helping to save the acc. Saving the acc O N L Y helps to keep tobacco road in the prime seats. Now why would we ever consider watching a replay of the past 25 years. That is no different than planting the same type of apples trees that only produces rotten apples. That would be absolutely C R A Z Y at the least.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

It will be very interesting to see what happens next within

May 23, 2012, 3:13 PM

the ACC. Your third point is the fulcrum, though. If there is not an earnest endeavor, and quickly, to bring in a new staff at the top that is more attuned to the current sports landscape, in addition to having no formal ties to any existing institutions, I don't see where the league as we've known it will continue.

It's amazing that the ACC has managed to squander the remarkable potential that was, and still is to an extent, at our fingertips. The only chance the league has that I can see is an A+ name hire to take charge. If announcements of such aren't made in the next several weeks prior to the renewed BCS talks, it will be too late.

Clemson is the epitome of Division I college football in just about every regard. We will either thrive in a revised ACC or flourish elsewhere. It's going to be a fun ride either way.

Appreciate all you do for the good guys.

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic