Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
All jokes aside about the 4 UGA players
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

All jokes aside about the 4 UGA players

Mar 18, 2014, 9:08 AM

These football players need to get paid! Ridiculous that these athletes, who generate millions of dollars for their schools, resort to stealing!

This is why all major sports have unions. These kids should organize to get their cut of the pie. Total BS they are broke.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

How much fun would it be when they go on strike? *

Mar 18, 2014, 9:11 AM

?

Re: How much fun would it be when they go on strike? *

Mar 18, 2014, 9:15 AM

I don't know! They would most likely loose their scholarships, drop out of school and head for welfare,low paying jobs or become professional thieves.

Many take on college debt to make much less money.

Mar 18, 2014, 9:12 AM

I don't think a free education should be taken for granted. If they are paid, they pay tuition, room, and board.

.0001% of them generate "millions" for the universities

Mar 18, 2014, 9:12 AM

Should the other 99.9999% of them get paid? Remember, they are an EXPENSE not revenue source for the university.

And how do you decide who gets paid and who doesn't?

Would title IX need to be in play to make sure the pay is equitable?

agreed, they should have forgone the opportunity, stayed

Mar 18, 2014, 9:15 AM

at home & taken any number of hourly wage jobs. the government would gladly help them through the local community college, college or university.

i wish them luck in any and all endeavors.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said!

Mar 18, 2014, 9:19 AM

UGa also has a wack message board; unlike Clemson who has spawned the awesome TigerNet which helps keep me off the streets.

Otherwise the world would tremble in fear***

Mar 18, 2014, 9:21 AM

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Re: All jokes aside about the 4 UGA players

Mar 18, 2014, 9:19 AM

T.W. I respectfully disagree. First of all this kids were not stealing because they had to get money ... they just wanted more. It has more to do with character not the need to get paid. Sure, there are great (yes, great) arguments for these kids getting paid, but it would forever change the face of college football and the student athlete. Even under today's NCAA they are not pure student athletes because do many are in it only for the next level .... and if they don't get there, they are screwed because they did not take their free education seriously. Just my opinion and can live with what ever direction this thing blows.

(On a side note about the 4 players ... I am sure plenty of smack will be spewed, but these kids were arrested because the Athletic Department at UGA, yes the ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT, met with police and turned them in on March 3rd. Now that is an AD that does not believe in sweeping things under the rug ... that could easily just go away.)

I agree that in this case, it would have been easy to sweep

Mar 18, 2014, 9:29 AM

this under the rug. And as far as the money goes,.. I never remember getting ANY stipend check from any department. I worked 4 jobs a week and took home roughly $100 bucks.

They are getting free tuition and a small stipend, along with room and a very good training table. It may not allow them to thrive, bu the athletes do have a step up over the average college student.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

You think they are broke

Mar 18, 2014, 9:32 AM

http://www.holyturf.com/2011/05/football-players-receive-17000-annually-in-cash-all-within-ncaa-rules/

Thanks to cutiger250.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

What's ridiculous is that players receiving a free education

Mar 18, 2014, 9:32 AM

steal at all.

Somebody who "resorts" to stealing has a character flaw, plain and simple. It's all about personal accountability. Nobody made them do it.

I was flat broke all the way through college at CU and I managed to pay 100% of it back through working, and student loans without ever resorting to stealing.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2014, 9:34 AM

Usually this is due to their drug habit. They get paid about $30k a year for all the school gives them as a student athlete at Clemson.

All this could just go away because of greed across the board.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We Are About To Turn Athens Into Rubble ----

Mar 18, 2014, 9:48 AM

We will have to stay focused and keep our ownselves
out of trouble though. On and off the field.

Being broke has NOTHING to do with becoming a thief

Mar 18, 2014, 4:58 PM

Logic fail.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 18, 2014, 5:48 PM

They are already getting paid by getting a free ride through school

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive