Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How about a little love for ol Nealon Greene?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

How about a little love for ol Nealon Greene?

Mar 14, 2018, 1:49 PM

Underrated piece of Clemson Football History. He might not have won any national QB awards, he might not be all over the Clemson Record Books, the "Crown on the Field" might have been his response to several poor passing games in the Valley, but dadgumit, Nealon was Serviceable with a capital "S". Fond memories of ol' #15 under center. Am i right? What memories come to mind for you Tiger Fans? Crushing some Gamecocks in Willy B in 1995 38-17? or in 1997 47-21?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: How about a little love for ol Nealon Greene?

Mar 14, 2018, 1:56 PM

In his defense, the Crown on the field was ridiculous back in his day. Looked like we had laid about 10 stacks of sod one on top of the other in the middle of the field. It wasn't even a gradual falloff, just looked like a huge bump in the middle of the field. So glad it was fixed, else we may never have become WRU.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's one good thing Tommy Bowden did for us.........

Mar 14, 2018, 2:15 PM

as he was the one who pushed to get the crown taken out of the field and make it flat like it is now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does anyone remember the shape of the crown, before?

Mar 14, 2018, 4:28 PM

If I remember it correctly, the field was fairly flat in the middle of the field, then it gradually steepened towards the sidelines. Not the best at trying to turn the corner in the rain.

Mar 14, 2018, 4:11 PM [ in reply to Re: How about a little love for ol Nealon Greene? ]

What's the story with the crown on the field? This is the first I've heard of this.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Crownns referred to raised areas in the middle of the field

Mar 14, 2018, 4:19 PM

Still prominent on many high school fields to both help drainage and in many cases serve as a way to help rushing football teams literally "run downhill" vs their opponents. It was very popular to have crowns on the field during the days of option offenses.

Mar 14, 2018, 2:01 PM

I pulled for the guy, but he seemed to underthrow quite a bit.

Best part of that era was Preister.

Mar 14, 2018, 3:17 PM

In Nealon's defense, I don't think Tommy West knew what a forward pass was.

Mar 14, 2018, 4:01 PM

I always thought he just kept Ken Hatfield's old playbook- straight up the middle on downs 1-3 and punt on 4th.

Mar 14, 2018, 3:32 PM

Yep

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yesterday was his birthday, btw***

Mar 14, 2018, 3:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

He was pretty good

Mar 14, 2018, 3:40 PM

in running out of bounds just shy of the first down

Naw, I liked Nealon

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Ugh, I can remember that game. 1995 Georgia with the

Mar 14, 2018, 3:42 PM

throwback uniforms. Torin Kertsey was their RB and Hines Ward was the QB. 19-17 final and Greene ran out of bounds short of the first down marker and without at least trying to get it to a WR to end the game.

bingo

Mar 14, 2018, 4:54 PM

and those helmets with the x on the top showing where to hit were fugly

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I'll admit, "The Crown" was significant - it HAD to make it

Mar 14, 2018, 3:42 PM

difficult to throw...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those were some very frustrating days for Clemson

Mar 14, 2018, 3:58 PM

football. I will just leave it at that. He did have a very good career in the CFL.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Turf Toe did him in....

Mar 14, 2018, 4:00 PM

I try to tell some younger Clemson fans that I work with that he was a good QB, but you never hear about him...I thought he could have had a great senior year, but I think he had turf toe, and that had a big impact on his play....That was back in the ridiculously frustrating days of mediocrity that I try to forget!

I liked Nealon Green. He had to go through several

Mar 14, 2018, 4:31 PM

Offensive coordinators at the time if I recall correctly ending up with Steve Ensminger at the helm. Nealon was very athletic but didn't have the greatest arm. What I always wondered was how we ended up with him from Yonkers NY?

Mar 14, 2018, 4:34 PM

We had many close games his senior year. I remember the radio play-by-play guy at the end of a rare comfortable victory as the QB took a knee say "I've been waiting a long time to say this, but now he'll 'kneel on green.'"

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man, all those images look like they are 25 years ol...

Mar 14, 2018, 4:51 PM

wait...dang some people are old.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic