Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Frank Howard is a deserving Clemson legend. He is one
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,851

Frank Howard is a deserving Clemson legend. He is one

Mar 8, 2015, 3:06 PM

of the most beloved coaches we ever had at Clemson. In 1969, after being the face of Clemson football for nearly 3 decades, he realized the game was changing, he heard the grumblings of the fan base, and at age 60 he stepped down. His bosses realized it too, and an agreement was reached that was good for everyone concerned. Howard's legend was not only preserved, but it continued to grow in his new role with the university. The door was opened for a new era of Clemson football.

Realizing it's time, by all parties concerned, means everything. And yes, I meant for this to be on the baseball bored.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Frank Howard is a deserving Clemson legend. He is one

Mar 8, 2015, 3:09 PM

AMEN!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree ...

Mar 8, 2015, 3:10 PM

Pasture meet Jack, Jack meet Pasture.

Time to retire, Jack.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Have the feeling that JL won't retire willingly...

Mar 8, 2015, 3:55 PM

otherwise, he would've stepped down after last year. This is gonna come down to DRad listening to the fan base, looking at what's played out the past few years, and on that day saying "Coach Leggett has done a lot for this school and program, but it is time to move in a new direction."

I would hope that JL will retire willingly and be able to save face & walk out the door w/ his head held high. Regardess of what scenario plays out, the history of the program and facility improvements underway should be more than enough to help lure a quality coach.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Have the feeling that JL won't retire willingly...

Mar 8, 2015, 3:57 PM

absolutely great post... hope he goes out that way

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Either way, I am very confident this is Jack's last year.

Mar 8, 2015, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Have the feeling that JL won't retire willingly... ]

What kind of "extension" did DRad give him?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No extension.

Mar 8, 2015, 4:00 PM

JL's contract ends in 2016.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Frank Howard retired because of illness and fatigue ...

Mar 8, 2015, 6:37 PM

... the alumni were "sick and tired" of him.

Or so he always said on the banquet circuit later on.

Although he retired as Head Football Coach in 1969, he was AD until 1971 and continued to hold great influence over the activities of the entire Clemson athletic program.

Too much influence. He is part of the reason we fell behind in basketball.

Mar 8, 2015, 6:45 PM

We are still paying for it today.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

hard to blame frank 45 years later***

Mar 8, 2015, 8:35 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Frank Howard is a deserving Clemson legend. He is one

Mar 8, 2015, 8:17 PM

good post!past time for JackL to leave

Problem is Jack is no Frank Howard.***

Mar 8, 2015, 8:31 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TU

Mar 11, 2015, 1:10 AM