Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Frank Howard - stats for the younguns out there
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Frank Howard - stats for the younguns out there

Jun 10, 2013, 4:46 PM

most everyone knows that Frank Howard was Clemson's Head Coach for 30 years (1940-1969).

He retired with a 165-118-12 record (.583)

But do you know how many HOME games Howard coached? In his 295 games, Clemson only played 113 of those games in Clemson. A whopping 182 of those games were AWAY (including 6 bowls games). Can you imagine? 62% away games over a career.

Back then, Clemson only played a few games at home per year, sometimes only 2, but NEVER over 5 in one year. Howard never had a year where he played more home games than away; his best was a 5-5 split late in his career when USC finally started coming to Clemson to play. Clemson averaged 3.7 home games per year over that 30 year span, not the 7 they get to play now. Nobody would come to little old Clemson to play. Glad that's changed......

Clemson went to Columbia EVERY year; they went to Atlanta EVERY year; went to places like Oklahoma, TCU, Florida, Rice without return trips.

It was a different world then, and it shows how great a coach Frank Howard was, playing such a difficult schedule year after year.

Thanks to him, today teams come TO Clemson to play instead of vice versa.

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/coaching/alltime_coach_year_by_year.php?coachid=1118

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen. He put us on the map.***

Jun 10, 2013, 4:57 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Re: Frank Howard - stats for the younguns out there

Jun 10, 2013, 5:07 PM

and you want to talk about smash mouth football!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great info Scooter!***

Jun 10, 2013, 5:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In addition, for the first 15-18 years we were a little

Jun 10, 2013, 5:17 PM

military school...about 2 K students...frank took us to the equivalent of 3 BCS bowls in the 1950s.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Jun 10, 2013, 5:19 PM

I know that my sophomore year in 1969 our out of conference schedule was Georgia, Georgia Tech, Alabama, and Auburn.

But a losing record against Coots.***

Jun 10, 2013, 5:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TB made up for it.

Jun 10, 2013, 5:27 PM

Tommy Bowden made up for that, as well as Danny, and Kenny....

Re: But a losing record against Coots.***

Jun 10, 2013, 6:00 PM [ in reply to But a losing record against Coots.*** ]

Only 5 of the 30 we played them were In Clemson....We had an awful 1-7-1 stretch late 40s into the 50s...The irony is the 1 win came in our undefeated 1948 team and the 1 tie came in our 9-0-1 1950 season. Two amazing seasons in the midst of all that misery.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Seriously wish I could Thumbs Down your idiocy

Jun 11, 2013, 4:59 PM [ in reply to But a losing record against Coots.*** ]

a million times.

It's stupid posts like this that give T-Net its well-deserved bad name.

It's arrogant posts like this that give the place a stench even as it is even on the internet.

When you can't understand the original intent of the OP - in part, to show why Howard's record was poor against the Coots - the just shut the hell up.

Re: Seriously wish I could Thumbs Down your idiocy

Jun 11, 2013, 5:04 PM

Here I can help. :)

thank you - that feels better already....***

Jun 11, 2013, 9:30 PM

Considering he played them frim 1940 to 1959 in Columbia and

Jun 11, 2013, 8:23 PM [ in reply to But a losing record against Coots.*** ]

was 8-10 with a tie or two, I would say that is pretty dadgum good. Crap, he won almost as many in Columbia during that span as the coots did.

Let's play'em in Death Valley each and every year, til 2032

Jun 11, 2013, 8:25 PM

and see how we fare.

3 yds and a cloud of dust - not fun to watch

Jun 10, 2013, 6:58 PM

And too many 6-4 years to be called a "great coach"!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 3 yds and a cloud of dust - not fun to watch

Jun 10, 2013, 7:49 PM

Surely you jest !!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 3 yds and a cloud of dust - not fun to watch

Jun 10, 2013, 8:50 PM [ in reply to 3 yds and a cloud of dust - not fun to watch ]

1960s, he was handicapped by the ACC's higher academic requirements. For example: one QB could not play where he wanted to at MD, so he went to Alabama and won a national championship.

Frank was Iconic, historic and I got to interview him twice.

Jun 10, 2013, 10:51 PM

gOtiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aaaah, Tigeron - 3 words and a cloud of stupidity***

Jun 11, 2013, 5:01 PM [ in reply to 3 yds and a cloud of dust - not fun to watch ]

Three yards and a cloud of dust was what most

Jun 11, 2013, 5:09 PM

schools ran at the time. Also, people thought Clemson should not have tried to have a team during the war years because so many students were in service. That had something with some of he poor years he had in the forties.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson also played most SEC teams back then "away"

Jun 11, 2013, 6:23 PM

when Clemson was still a smaller military college. Most idiots who post records don't ever read the fine print.

Jun 11, 2013, 6:40 PM

Frank was a great coach in every sense of the word. Look at his record from 1947-1961, before they made impossible academic changes that strangled recruiting. He started as the Tiger head coach during the war years, when almost all able-bodied men were in the service of their country. That's why Wofford and PC could compete with Clemson and Carolina for awhile. In the 1960's he came close to having Buddy Gore and Larry Csonka in the same backfield, with consensus first team All-Americans Wayne Mass and Harry O. on the same O-line! The man was simply a victim of his times. He used to tell each new SC football coach (there were many during his tenure), "You and I will never say anything good about each other in public, and in the press we will be feuding, but we will be good friends." A classy guy in every way!

Frank Howard was simply the best!...........Period.

Jun 11, 2013, 7:01 PM

Clemson is what it is today, in a large part, because Frank Howard came our way.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 11, 2013, 8:00 PM

Anyone and I do mean anyone foolish enough to BAD MOUTH, demean, or otherwise show irreverance to Frank Howard on THIS BOARD.....Should be permanantly BANNED!!

Frank Howard was a Legendary coach at Clemson!!

Whether you are a Tiger, Coot, Dawg, Nole, Tarheel, Cane, Jacket, Tide fan, Gator, Vol, Wolf, Deacon, Wildcat, etc., when you refer to Coach Frank Howard on THIS BOARD, you had better show some D.A.M.N RESPECT!!

Anyone with the balls to say otherwise, can KISS MY A$$!!!!

Go TIGERS!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic