Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Forget all this crap about losing a game when you spike
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 905

Forget all this crap about losing a game when you spike

Jul 24, 2013, 5:54 PM

the ball with 2.9 seconds, or a completed pass to a receiver who gets knocked silly on the ten yard line down 2 with 8 seconds, etc. What is going to start a brawl in the stands is when on 4th and 1, with two minutes to go, your linebacker shoots the gap and blows the running back up for a loss, and some Soccer Mom ref throws the flag for tackling too hard. And folks, that is what this new penalty is, TACKLING TOO HARD. It is a rough sport. Players have been hurt from day one. If you don't want to ever get hurt, DON'T PLAY! Get some shorts and a tennis shoes and go hiking. ANd I'd be willing to bet, the same ones who want us to tackle easier, ARE THE SAME ONES THAT WANT WOMEN IN SPECIAL FORCES!

Just like everything else in this country lately, a few loud mouths are running the show in direct contradiction to what the majority want. Us men, no offense ladies, but us men are going to have to say NO. Commentators like Ed Cunningham that said on the air last year the Shuey should have gotten a penalty four his hit on Mittenberger need to be land blasted right out of the booth. Refs that enforce the halo rule, even though it was rescinded, need to be called out. Coaches that say we are running too many plays and their "Big Boys of College Football" need a rest cause they might be injured need to be laughed out of Tuscaloosa.

In My Humble Opinion.....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Forget all this crap about losing a game when you spike

Jul 24, 2013, 6:08 PM

Amen! Paid flag football is on it way!!

Jul 24, 2013, 6:55 PM

Preach it brothers! Real football, or lingerie football with men playing? Uuuuugh!!

Jul 24, 2013, 7:25 PM

Spud,

it is a rough sport, but it has gotten faster and harder over time as players have gotten bigger, quicker, and practiced more.

if the rules don't change, the sport will, at some point, start to wither and die.

don't shoot the messenger, but the facts are that parents are increasingly protective of their children, and unless the rules change, somehow, to make serious, life-altering, injury less likely, fewer and fewer parents will their kids play the sport.

to protect the sport and keep it alive, to keep young boys playing, the rules need to adjust so that there will be a continuing supply of talent to the sport.

while you and i might like to see the sport get rougher and stay as it was in our youth, i don't think all parents of young boys see it the same. the young boys are their kids, and there is increasing danger of serious hurt.

something has to change or the sport will, at some point, start to decline for lack of young talent to play. maybe not this week, or this year, or even in five years, but sooner than we would like.

take boxing as an example. 50 years ago it was a popular sport. Clemson had a team. There were the Friday night fights. But the debilitating consequences of getting hit hard and often, even with head protection, meant that fewer and fewer kids were engaging. the sport is now back pages and watched and followed by just a few.

i don't want that same demise to happen to football. i would rather see some rules adjust so that concussions, other brain and spine injuries are not a regular occurrence.

you may disagree. i accept that. but the real question is, what will the parents of 8 year old boys do in five years if we don't make some changes?

I'll tell you this. I think if you start teaching players to

Jul 24, 2013, 9:12 PM

hit ball carriers low,say, around the mid section, then the defensive players are going to start having head and neck injuries. When you lower your shoulders to that level, guess what must follow....your head. I am all for stopping the Jack Tatum hits on a receiver across the middle,etc. But, if a defensive player cannot do all in his power to stop an oncoming player, then, the sport will be ruined, and you won't have to worry about the moms pulling their kids out. NOBODY will be watching, and it will be over. If I was an AD thinking about expansion right now, I would only do it with cash.

Replies: 4
| visibility 905
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic