Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
First Marathon
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

First Marathon

Oct 29, 2012, 9:55 AM

I am running my first marathon in Savannah this weekend. Any advice from veteran runners out there?

GO TIGERS!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i've run two of them....

Oct 29, 2012, 10:16 AM

the Marine Corps Marathon in '94 and again in '95.....the first year we trained hard as hell and we came across in about 3:55 or so....we got up to 18 miles once a week with no run each day shorter than 9 miles....took the weekends off....the following year the FURTHEST we ran was 12 miles and only did that every other week and we came across in 3:28....we started training about 4 months out....what i'm getting at is that we trained harder the first year and were much slower than in the second year. i did it with the same three guys both years. What worked for me physically was getting into a pace groove and sitting there the entire time...took about 3 miles to really get there but once i was there i stayed there....like sitting in a chair almost, if that makes any sense...sitting in a chair and doing the shuffle....not anything ridiculous...just dropping my body carriage down a tiny bit like "sitting" and getting back on my heels a bit and cruising....i avoided at all costs running on my toes so my calves didn't get smoked.....i took it water station by water station since they were every 2 miles....that was the mental thing....i didn't hit the "wall" until around 18 miles or so, then it became pure will at that point....i taped my ####### off and vaselined the hell out of my armpits and inner thighs. i wore compression shorts under my running shorts and two pairs of socks....sunglasses too because the squinting from the sun tires you out after a while....avoid any muscle flex in your arms, hands, etc. that you don't need to run with....if it makes any sense at all, i tried to find a groove that i could sort of "relax" in while running.....it's a "feel" thing more than anything and once you find that groove you can push further than you think....when the wall comes around 18 - 20 miles it's just a matter of grinding the last 10K distance or so....hope this helps....once you're done, nobody can take it away from you brother.....i want to do the San Francisco marathon while i'm out here....it sucks but it's an accomplishment that you'll never forget.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: First Marathon

Oct 29, 2012, 10:22 AM

I'm running it too. Have a great time! I don't necessarily qualify as a veteran, but here are some things I do have a little experience with:

1) Taper this week. You won't lose fitness at all. Get in a few short runs at the same pace you're running the marathon. Get sleep. Don't stay up late to watch a game or to get one more thing done...sleep. (You might not sleep much the night before the marathon, but apparently studies show that this doesn't make *too* much difference.)

2) Don't worry if you ache this week. That happens.

3) The expo is across the river and might hard to get to. Traffic and congestion were a problem last year, both for the expo and getting to the starting line. I'd arrive to both early.

4) When the race starts, control your pace. If you're trying to run at, say, 9:00/mile, go 9:30 or so for the first mile or two (or three). Don't be tempted to dash off even if you feel great. You will feel great. At mile 1. That's probably the biggest thing: Keep a close eye on your pace and don't let the masses convince you to go out fast. If you have a GPS watch, that's great, but if not just concentrate on being relaxed and comfortable during that first mile. (There weren't any hills in the first mile of the race in Savannah last year.)

5) Nothing new on race day. Don't pig out the night before (carb load modestly this week, but eating a huge pasta meal the night before doesn't really work that well). No new shoes. No new shirts. Protect areas that chafe for crying out loud (guessing you know this!).

6) Enjoy yourself. Don't forget to thank the volunteers and high-five the little kids on the race route.

7) Sneak in a little "Go Tigers" here and there for good measure.

Good advice so far

Oct 29, 2012, 10:32 AM

Definitely run slower at the beginning, adrenaline will make you want to go out too fast so deliberately hold back to begin. No COTTON. It absorbs and retains moisture and causes blister/chaffing. Vaseline is your friend especially around the toes and crotch to stop chaffing and blisters (####### also or bandaids).

Remember if you are upright and breathing at the end it was a good race.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2012, 10:27 AM

I ran two many moons ago, Charlotte 1980 and 1981. Trained the same for both. We had a group that would do a 20 mile run on Sundays and we did this starting in September to mid November. Took Mondays off, 10 - 12 miles on Wednesday and 4-5 the other days. 3:25 the first one and 3:26 the second. I did hit the wall at mile 22 on the second marathon. My excuse was that I passed two women runners who had stopped and this stopping was in my mind so I soon stopped to walk. Then the women passed me and this woke me up to pass them by and finish. Good luck, hope you have got the miles in because that is what it takes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes! My advice

Oct 29, 2012, 10:31 AM

use a car...you'll get there faster

I've run three (Charlotte, Kiawah, Boston) and here is what

Oct 29, 2012, 10:35 AM

has worked for me.
1) Don't run over 6 this week, and don't run after Wednesday.
2) If you have a target pace, I would break it up into blocks of 3 5 5 5 5 and 3.2. Cannot get hung up on what happens in a single mile, ESPECIALLY the first couple. Manage the pace in each of the blocks. I agree you want to be a tick slower or right at target at start. NOT too fast. Plus the crowd will cause issues for the first few miles, so relax and plan the rest of the race with the first three being a bit slow.
3) Also agree with NOTHING new this week. Same clothes, food, shoes, socks on race day as your long training runs, and no funny big meal the night before the race.
4) Have fun in the race, and DRINK often, especially early. Eat when you see a water stop coming so that you can wash it down.
5) Some folks write their name on the front of their shirt and get some personal cheering as a result. Do that if you think it will help you late in the race.
6) Get a warm up suit from Goodwill to wear race day. You can toss the pants just before the start, and might want the jacket for the first couple of miles in case it is cold at the start. Most races will pick that stuff up and donate it back to local Goodwill, and it keeps you from worrying about keeping up with extra clothing.
7) Talk to other runners along the way and have a good time!

Good luck!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I've run three (Charlotte, Kiawah, Boston) and here is what

Oct 29, 2012, 2:46 PM

I have run 4 and I agree with all you stated .. really important to stay hydrated .. alternate water/gator aid every two miles .. eat a Gu (or equivalent)about every 4 miles to keep energy ....

Oct 29, 2012, 10:35 AM

I've done 3 and just qualified for Boston last April for this April.

If the marathon is this weekend then all your hard work is over. Try to relax this week as much as possible, maybe a 2 miler mid week to shake off the jitters of not running and nerves. Don't eat anything this week that you haven't had before.

On race day be careful of starting out too fast. It is really hard to see someone in your corral that you "think you can beat" and they start out faster than you want to. DON"T try to keep up with them. Really good runners come in all shapes and sizes. Also some of those who start out fast will stop later in the race because they went out too fast.

From about mile 17 on it is more mental than physical. Your legs and body are use to the long miles and will be fine. May feel heavy but you'll be ok. You just have to keep telling yourself that you know you can do it. If you don't use music, you might want to bring it along to tune in to at this time.

Ultimately....try to enjoy the course and the people cheering you on. If you have to walk for a bit, no big deal. The big thing is to get over the finish line because it is the BEST feeling in the world! I love chocolate milk afterwards....great for your body!

Have fun and be sure to post back on how it was!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2012, 10:38 AM

With the 'thon this weekend, it is too late for most meaningful advice, but I am sure you have already gotten plenty.

I have run three, so while there are many who have run more, I do have a bit of experience.

Last week advice

Enjoy the taper. Running hard or a lot this week will bring NO BENEFIT. The name of the game is energy and body conversation. Run a little to keep in it mentally, but not hard or long.

Carbo load? I have not gotten a good read on how to do this effectively. If you can or do, I’d love to hear a technique.

Race like you trained. Don’t try anything new – shoes, hydration plan, new goo, etc.

Don’t overdress. It is far better to be chilly in the beginning that to be hot at the end. If you must dress warmly, be prepared to shed a layer and toss it aside. Perhaps you can meet someone early in the race and give it to them – otherwise, be ready to part with it.

Dress well. If you have a good Clemson running shirt, wear it. I have always gotten good comments from other runners and spectators. You always want to represent when you might be among infidels. Also, it is a great conversation starter. After all, who doesn’t like to see Clemson gear (except maybe the aforementioned infidels)?

Enjoy the race. My first was one of the great times of my life. Savor the moments.

Keep a realistic goal. Don’t kill yourself trying to qualify for Boston. If you can enjoy the race and qualify, great (wish I could’ve!) But don’t do anything to make it a bad experience b/c you want to finish the race looking forward to the next one.

Stay determined. While you should listen to your body and not injure yourself, don’t let fatigue stop you. For me, mile 22 was the worst. I had to literally yell at myself in anger when my body wanted to stop (very emotional – I was so mad, I almost started to cry). Everyone has a story, and that is mine in my first ‘thon. If I had walked or rested, the experience wouldn’t have been the same.

Hydrate. Sure, I said to race like you train, but don’t ever turn down hydration (preferably sports drink). I would rather stop and pee than get dehydrated. Believe me; I got calf cramps at mile 18 in my 3rd one. I kept running, but it was SLOW.

Enjoy the moment. When you finish, be proud of your accomplishment. Even though you will see 1000s of people there, and it will seem like everyone runs ‘em, remember that few people have accomplished what you accomplished.

Expect some pain! At the finish line, if you cannot lift your foot to step up on a curb, don’t worry, no one else can!

Take care afterwards. Most of my running friends soak their legs in cold water after the race, for instance, sit in a tub full of cold water in the hotel. I never have done that, but I heard it is good. Also, enjoy a post race feast as soon as your stomach can take it – fat greasy burger, large pizza, oh baby!

not suprising, i saw some infedels at last years race. they

Oct 29, 2012, 11:57 AM

were the only ones i heard shouting anything other than encouragement as i ran by in my tiger gear.

Don't poop yourself.

Oct 29, 2012, 10:58 AM

Don't go out too fast. Run intentionally slower in your first half.

Don't do anything new. No new clothes, gear, food.

Do give high fives to kids cheering you on. Draw strength from them. Thank people who are cheering for you.

Do encourage other runners...especially towards the end of the race who may be struggling. A kind word might be all they need to perk them up.

The wall didn't feel like I thought it would. Miles 20-26 usually feel like an out of body experience. My mind just goes to a different place, while my body puts one foot in front of the other.

Eat an entire pizza (a good one) afterwards.

good advice on high-5ing the kids, there were a lot of

Oct 29, 2012, 12:00 PM

them out last year!

go buy some cheap sweats and gloves that you would

Oct 29, 2012, 11:50 AM

wear once and throw away. it is suppose to be 44 saturday morning but warm up into the 70 pretty quick. when you discard all of these sweats they collect them for the needy. as you can imagine the race course if fairly flat, the full marathon will go over a portion of the truman parkway, that is the highest part of the course. the crowds are very supportive and cheer us on. the downtown part of the course goes around several of the historic squares. i'll be running the half so maybe i'll see ya out there. good luck

"You can't run a marathon without band-aids on your #######"

Oct 29, 2012, 12:05 PM

-Kevin Spacey, Horrible Bosses

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That man doesn't lie.***

Oct 29, 2012, 12:12 PM

Tis true!***

Oct 29, 2012, 12:38 PM [ in reply to "You can't run a marathon without band-aids on your #######" ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Finish before the game starts!***

Oct 29, 2012, 12:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This***

Oct 29, 2012, 4:15 PM

A few tips that help me out

Oct 29, 2012, 4:09 PM

Some of these have probably already been stated, but I'm too lazy to look. Different things help different people.

1. Don't eat a huge meal the night before. It'll just weigh you down. If you eat a big meal, do it 2 nights before.
2. Some people say no running on the few days leading up to it, but I get really stiff throughout the week if I don't. I do a very lazy 3 mile run the day before. Has never hurt me.
3. Hydrate very well the days leading up to the race.
4. Morning ritual is to go to bed early and wake up early in order to eat a piece of toast + peanut butter and drink a cup of coffee. I don't drink anything for the 1.5 hours leading up to the race.
5. I take a gel pack every 5 miles. I don't wait until I feel like I need to take one because then I'm trying to play catch up.
6. If it's cold out, continue to drink water. I carry a bottle and refill at water stations, but not many people I know like to do that.
7. Interact with the volunteers. I've worked a volunteer table, and it is very hard work.
8. Start out slower than you think you need to. You'll need that energy later. DO NOT get caught up going too fast with everyone in the beginning. Many of those people you will end up passing in an hour or two.
9. Do not panic when everything starts hurting. You'll get used to it, and you'll make it.
10. Take it one mile at a time. Don't get overwhelmed. Have fun with it. It's much easier running with other people.

That's what helps me personally. Everyone is different. Good luck.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic