Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Firing Brownell now makes no sense whatsoever.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Firing Brownell now makes no sense whatsoever.

Mar 26, 2013, 10:26 AM

Do you honestly think three years is enough time to give him a fair chance? That is showing a great deal of impatience, especially with the challenging situation he walked into. It's one thing to have concerns at this point, but to actually advocate for his firing now is unreasonable.

Wanting to fire him now shows a strong, unwavering commitment to Clemson basketball - one where standards for success are not compromised under any circumstances. That's great, but I have to wonder if your own level of commitment and support of the program reflects that. If so, I hope you are at the games, cheering loudly, and supporting financially at a high level as well. And even then, I would question your thought process for wanting to fire him.

That line of thinking can be extended to the CU athletic department as well. If the decision is made to fire Brownell now, which I would be shocked by, it would communicate a real (and previously unseen) commitment to basketball. If that were the case, we better see facility upgrades and a top level coach brought in too.

I personally feel that Brownell is a very good coach who, if given time, will turn things around here. I have watched a lot of basketball over the years, both college and pro, and would put BB's basketball knowledge up against just about anyone's. He seems to get good effort out of his players. With a couple more pieces added, I think we will see a great product on the floor - and a consistent, winning program.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Fortunately the AD has more perspective and rationality

Mar 26, 2013, 10:32 AM

than the arm-chair ADs on Tigernet. He's got at least two more years before the seat starts to get hot.

Anyone who's actually taken a look at the program (not the TEAM) over the last four years can see why we're struggling.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fortunately the AD has more perspective and rationality

Mar 26, 2013, 10:33 AM

I am not sure on the min of 2 years part.

I think if he shows another fall off next year then he will be in big trouble.

null

I am not ready to be an arm chair AD

Mar 26, 2013, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Fortunately the AD has more perspective and rationality ]

I had my hands full just assembling a new office chair from Staples for our home this weekend. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He cant digress again next year. If he does he is gone

Mar 26, 2013, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Fortunately the AD has more perspective and rationality ]

You can't have 4 straight declining seasons. What message would the admin be sending to Clemson fans if they are okay with losing in basketball.

If in 4 years you haven't shown ANY progression then it is time to move on.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he's not getting fired...no way***

Mar 26, 2013, 10:36 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Firing Brownell now makes no sense whatsoever.

Mar 26, 2013, 10:38 AM

One more year yes, but two definitely no. Please explain what mess he walked into.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson basketball***

Mar 26, 2013, 10:41 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

^^^^^^^^ what he said...LOL***

Mar 26, 2013, 10:43 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 26, 2013, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Firing Brownell now makes no sense whatsoever. ]

Purcell had stopped recruiting because he wanted out. The academics on the team was an absolute joke as well. Then before the first season, two guys quit on the team because they didn't want to do the things Brownell wanted them to do.
Seems like a mess to me.

Mar 26, 2013, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Firing Brownell now makes no sense whatsoever. ]

it is been explained 80 times already. I am sure one of your scoks had it explained to him.

null

Mar 26, 2013, 11:07 AM

I agree with you 100%. "Rome wasn't built in a day." Especially Clemson Basketball.

the longer he stays, the bigger the hole, talent wise,

Mar 26, 2013, 11:33 AM

we'll have to dig ourselves out of.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the longer he stays, the bigger the hole, talent wise,

Mar 26, 2013, 1:37 PM

I'm sorry...did you say something....

Re: the longer he stays, the bigger the hole, talent wise,

Mar 26, 2013, 3:01 PM [ in reply to the longer he stays, the bigger the hole, talent wise, ]

I sure hate to agree but I think U are right.. I have been huge BB backer and want him to get another year but he must improve recruiting NOW!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are assuming that he is making that hole bigger.

Mar 26, 2013, 11:37 AM

I think he is adding some nice players to our team. Is he recruiting to the level we want him to (and that he himself wants to)? No. But I certainly don't think he is making things worse. He is recruiting on par with Purnell, and much better than Shyatt.

The hole you speak of was created as a result of the transition from OP to Brownell. It's closing, but slower than some would like.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

closing? he's losing more now than he

Mar 26, 2013, 11:42 AM

did when he had OP's recruits. He's getting worse the more of his kids come in and OP's leave. He did better with OPs recruits. If it was reverse, then there would be some hope to look forward to.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You are assuming that he is making that hole bigger.

Mar 26, 2013, 3:05 PM [ in reply to You are assuming that he is making that hole bigger. ]

in 7 months he will begin practice for season #4.. I am a supporter but how many 4* big recruits has he brought in?? I am talking 6`9 or taller??How many this year??how amny next year??recruiting IS THE GAME and we are loosing big time..

IMHO he gets this year and then if no recruiting improvement then sorry but goof bye BB

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His recruiting is not on par with Purnell

Mar 26, 2013, 7:44 PM [ in reply to You are assuming that he is making that hole bigger. ]

Purnell was bringing in talent. It may be hard to discern certain 3 stars, but Purnell's last 5 recruits and 7 of his last 9 were ranked in the Rivals 150. Brownell has brought in two members of the Rivals 150.

To add to the talent discrepancy, no other players (outside of Blossomgame and Sullivan) were ranked at their positions (Rivals usually does a top 30). By contrast, Purnell brought in ranked players with guys like Oglesby, Stitt, and Trevor.

Even early in his career Purnell brought in a player in the Rivals 150 in every class except 2007. If you don't believe me the following players were in the Rivals150, so he got off to a hot start and kept rolling - 03: Vernon, 04: Mayes, 05: Rivers, 06: Potter, 08: Bobo & Young, 09- all 4 recruits, and 10 - Thornton.

Simply put, he is failing to bring in talent to make this program a consistent NCAA Tournament team like his predecessor.

From an outside perspective you see the following...

Mar 26, 2013, 11:44 AM

...highly ranked recruits/commits on the team who transfer shortly after BB's hiring.

The player exodus continues after the 1st and 2nd season of BB's tenure.

An offense that goes into an anemic coma. Players with fundamental lack of any adjustment to skill development. Although BB assures the fans that he unsuccessfully convinced Devin Booker to correct the mechanics of this free throws. Do you think Bobby Knight would have had problems convincing a player to correct some mechanics in his game?

Then we observe a progressive declining rate of success year over year.

This isn't football. One phenomenal, or two or three great basketball players can make a deep run into the NCAA tournament. One CJ Spiller is not going to get your football team to a BCS bowl.

In basketball, there should be no reason a great coach can't prove his system and show progress in each facet of his team's game. This in itself can attract good players.

Regardless of how you spin Brad Brownell's resume and tenure at Clemson, no matter how you want to put the blame on Oliver Purnell for giving Brad a bad situation to come into, none of you can escape the obvious decline of the program over the past few years.

I've always placed the highest expectations of Clemson's football program, with what I have always hoped was a RESPECTABLE, NOT OVERWHELMING, expectations for the basketball team. But what we saw last season was the most miserable attempt at competing in the ACC that I have ever seen from Clemson. All will immediately point to Shyatt's last year, and you may be right. But at $1.2M per year, that is a lot of moo-lah to see the dumpster fire of this last season.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Re: From an outside perspective you see the following...

Mar 26, 2013, 12:38 PM

> ...highly ranked recruits/commits on the team who
> transfer shortly after BB's hiring.
>
> The player exodus continues after the 1st and 2nd
> season of BB's tenure.
>
> An offense that goes into an anemic coma. Players
> with fundamental lack of any adjustment to skill
> development. Although BB assures the fans that he
> unsuccessfully convinced Devin Booker to correct the
> mechanics of this free throws. Do you think Bobby
> Knight would have had problems convincing a player to
> correct some mechanics in his game?
>
> Then we observe a progressive declining rate of
> success year over year.
>
> This isn't football. One phenomenal, or two or three
> great basketball players can make a deep run into the
> NCAA tournament. One CJ Spiller is not going to get
> your football team to a BCS bowl.
>
> In basketball, there should be no reason a great
> coach can't prove his system and show progress in
> each facet of his team's game. This in itself can
> attract good players.
>
> Regardless of how you spin Brad Brownell's resume and
> tenure at Clemson, no matter how you want to put the
> blame on Oliver Purnell for giving Brad a bad
> situation to come into, none of you can escape the
> obvious decline of the program over the past few
> years.
>
> I've always placed the highest expectations of
> Clemson's football program, with what I have always
> hoped was a RESPECTABLE, NOT OVERWHELMING,
> expectations for the basketball team. But what we
> saw last season was the most miserable attempt at
> competing in the ACC that I have ever seen from
> Clemson. All will immediately point to Shyatt's last
> year, and you may be right. But at $1.2M per year,
> that is a lot of moo-lah to see the dumpster fire of
> this last season.

I think the best way to solve this situation, is disband all sports at CU except Football, Golf, Rowing, and Track and Field, that would solve the problem. The rest are dumpster fires including the Baseball Team.

I agree, but they sure felt like 3 years was enough for

Mar 26, 2013, 11:46 AM

Coach Coleman. I admit the women's team was worse off than the men's team right now- however, Coleman took over much more of a train wreck than Brownell.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't follow women's bball much, but I know Coleman took

Mar 26, 2013, 1:39 PM

over a team that wasn't very good, brought in talented players that transferred and was left with what 7-8 players?

but wasting another year or two and then firing him does?***

Mar 26, 2013, 12:08 PM

Who says we are clearly wasting our time by waiting to see?

Mar 26, 2013, 12:25 PM

Do you honestly think three years, in his situation, is enough time for a fair evaluation of his abilities as the head basketball coach at Clemson University?

No wonder kids are transferring

Mar 26, 2013, 1:32 PM

I'd transfer too if I saw how much crap is spoken about my coach and teammates after all the work we put in.
You're gonna get out of the program what you put in it ($)...and LittleJohn sold out maybe once this year...think thats more likely the problem. Hard to recruit somewhere where the only people that show up on a regular basis are the members of the pep band.

Re: No wonder kids are transferring

Mar 26, 2013, 4:39 PM

I agree. I'm tired of people that watch a few Raycom games a year on their 65" plasma screen complaining that our coach should be fired because our program is in bad shape.

Go buy tickets to the games and cheer, then say something.

I'm abit confused

Mar 26, 2013, 4:53 PM

when Clemson is too quick to make a coaching change, it doesn't show a commitment for the sport...being too hasty.

But yet schools like,NC and others can make a quick change. And it shows they ARE committed to the sport.

and since we're all giving opinions, none which seem to matter. "I" think if you're happy or content with where you're at, then you're probably going backwards.

PEACE EVERYONE

Re: I'm abit confused

Mar 26, 2013, 5:12 PM

Can't compare Clemson to UNC in basketball...they are on a whole different level than us. Went to Clemson and graduated in 2010 when basketball was the best it had been in a while. But yet you could still feel that it was not a premier sport at Clemson or around the state. Now I live in Durham-Chapel Hill area and the sports fans up here eat, sleep, and breath basketball.

I think, like a couple of the post above stated, our fan base has got to consistently be at the level it was at in like 08-09. That will help draw the recruits...who wants to play in a empty littlejohn coliseum? OR we need to fire Brownell now and dish out the big bucks for a big name coach that will instantly have an impact on recruiting.

No one is happy with last year

Mar 26, 2013, 5:18 PM [ in reply to I'm abit confused ]

I just think 2 recruiting classes is a pretty quick trigger

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic