»
Topic: Fake merchandise costing university millions
Replies: 9   Last Post: Sep 1, 2017 5:58 PM by: dchinners
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 9  

Fake merchandise costing university millions

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 10:56 AM

http://www.wyff4.com/article/organized-counterfeiting-groups-exploit-clemson-tigers-fame/12153501

2019 editor level member

Re: Fake merchandise costing university millions

[3]
Posted: Sep 1, 2017 11:00 AM

I knew there was something off about that "bargain Natty gear" I bought at the Jockey Lot.

Oh well, looks great anyway. Love the new logo.

IMG_1540

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

the paw is not pointed to 1 o'clock....

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 3:36 PM

other than that, looks good to me.

2019 white level member

I had to order that White #4 from China

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 5:58 PM

There was no other option.

Re: Fake merchandise costing university millions

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 11:13 AM

What if my last name is Clemson? I can't own or sell anything with my name on it because it's their intellectual property? I like playing devil's advocate here.

But it's my last name... I should be able to do this or that

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 3:40 PM

@Tall_Tiger_Two,
Here's a pretty good link to a review of a case involving given-name issues:
http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/the-earnhardts-race-to-the-courtroom-59807/

2019 white level member

I have some qualms with this statement

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 11:15 AM

"Clemson owns the paw and the name 'Clemson.' That's theirs. They own it. That's their intellectual property. You cannot reproduce that and sell that for a profit. That is a criminal violation as well as a civil violation," Wilkins said.

-------------------

Does he mean Clemson University? Because that's not correct. They don't own the name "Clemson" because there's a city named "Clemson" too. Nobody owns that word. You can put the word "Clemson" on anything you want without penalty.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: I have some qualms with this statement

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 11:28 AM

Actually it's pretty clear in copyright and trademark laws. If you're name is Clemson and you sell shirts with your name on it, you'll be fine. Until you make it all orange and start to make it look like the University's property. Then they'll start to have leverage. If your name is not Clemson, and you sell orange stuff with Clemson on it, you'll be liable right away. Same thing if you write in ###### Coba Bola on a red can for your soft drink, you'll get hammered by Coke.

2019 white level member

yes, there are trademarks on colors, fonts, etc

Posted: Sep 1, 2017 3:19 PM

that Clemson University owns and controls, but a generic white shirt with "Clemson" written on it is not subject to infringement. It could refer to the town. That's why they sell the pink and blue and green shirts with "CLEMSON" on them in Walgreens and nothing is violated. CU doesn't exclusively own the word "Clemson" as the quoted guy says.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

I sent a sample of a product idea to "Mrs. Bicker-Knockers"

[1]
Posted: Sep 1, 2017 3:57 PM

Several years ago, I spent some time creating a very detailed CAD drawing of our beloved PAW profile.
I then put that image in the center of a "wind-spinner" (the hot yard ornament craze at the time) and we laser-cut 3 or 4 pieces to see how they looked.
I thought they looked great and even all the UNCheat fans here at the shop thought it was good.
I took a few photos and sent them to the above-mentioned retailer.
I explained in my letter that I wasn't licensed to sell Clemson (or any other college) gear and that I'd need to work with a licensed entity.
I gave them a price range for various quantities and asked if they would be interested in the idea.
In less than a week I received a registered cease-and-desist letter from the Collegiate Licensing Co. attorneys.
Yikes....
That'll teach me to try to find and go through the right channels!
Never been back in her store since then.

2019 white level member

Replies: 9  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: South Carolina
FOR SALE: 2 tickets on 50 yard line. section 505 row 39 seats 9 & 10 IPTAY tickets with Clemson fans. $110...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
2276 people have read this post