Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fake merchandise costing university millions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,427

Fake merchandise costing university millions

Sep 1, 2017, 10:56 AM

http://www.wyff4.com/article/organized-counterfeiting-groups-exploit-clemson-tigers-fame/12153501

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fake merchandise costing university millions

Sep 1, 2017, 11:00 AM

I knew there was something off about that "bargain Natty gear" I bought at the Jockey Lot.

Oh well, looks great anyway. Love the new logo.

IMG_1540

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the paw is not pointed to 1 o'clock....

Sep 1, 2017, 3:36 PM

other than that, looks good to me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had to order that White #4 from China

Sep 1, 2017, 5:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Fake merchandise costing university millions ]

There was no other option.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fake merchandise costing university millions

Sep 1, 2017, 11:13 AM

What if my last name is Clemson? I can't own or sell anything with my name on it because it's their intellectual property? I like playing devil's advocate here.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But it's my last name... I should be able to do this or that

Sep 1, 2017, 3:40 PM

@Tall_Tiger_Two,
Here's a pretty good link to a review of a case involving given-name issues:
http://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/the-earnhardts-race-to-the-courtroom-59807/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have some qualms with this statement

Sep 1, 2017, 11:15 AM

"Clemson owns the paw and the name 'Clemson.' That's theirs. They own it. That's their intellectual property. You cannot reproduce that and sell that for a profit. That is a criminal violation as well as a civil violation," Wilkins said.

-------------------

Does he mean Clemson University? Because that's not correct. They don't own the name "Clemson" because there's a city named "Clemson" too. Nobody owns that word. You can put the word "Clemson" on anything you want without penalty.

Re: I have some qualms with this statement

Sep 1, 2017, 11:28 AM

Actually it's pretty clear in copyright and trademark laws. If you're name is Clemson and you sell shirts with your name on it, you'll be fine. Until you make it all orange and start to make it look like the University's property. Then they'll start to have leverage. If your name is not Clemson, and you sell orange stuff with Clemson on it, you'll be liable right away. Same thing if you write in ###### Coba Bola on a red can for your soft drink, you'll get hammered by Coke.

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

yes, there are trademarks on colors, fonts, etc

Sep 1, 2017, 3:19 PM

that Clemson University owns and controls, but a generic white shirt with "Clemson" written on it is not subject to infringement. It could refer to the town. That's why they sell the pink and blue and green shirts with "CLEMSON" on them in Walgreens and nothing is violated. CU doesn't exclusively own the word "Clemson" as the quoted guy says.

I sent a sample of a product idea to "Mrs. Bicker-Knockers"

Sep 1, 2017, 3:57 PM

Several years ago, I spent some time creating a very detailed CAD drawing of our beloved PAW profile.
I then put that image in the center of a "wind-spinner" (the hot yard ornament craze at the time) and we laser-cut 3 or 4 pieces to see how they looked.
I thought they looked great and even all the UNCheat fans here at the shop thought it was good.
I took a few photos and sent them to the above-mentioned retailer.
I explained in my letter that I wasn't licensed to sell Clemson (or any other college) gear and that I'd need to work with a licensed entity.
I gave them a price range for various quantities and asked if they would be interested in the idea.
In less than a week I received a registered cease-and-desist letter from the Collegiate Licensing Co. attorneys.
Yikes....
That'll teach me to try to find and go through the right channels!
Never been back in her store since then.

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,427
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic