Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FSU is going to attempt to extort money from the ACC by
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

FSU is going to attempt to extort money from the ACC by

May 9, 2012, 12:29 PM

threatening to leave. This is what all the clamor is about. FSU wants a bigger share of the revenue.

If FSU thinks it is going to solve its monetary problems by leaving for the Big 12 they are mistaken. It will kill their non-revenue sports. The travel costs will eventually eat them up. They will play second fiddle to OU and Texas instead of dominating the ACC the way they are capable of.

Stay calm ACC - our time will come. We have too many quality schools for this thing not to turn around.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a dangerous game, if that is what they're doing.

May 9, 2012, 12:33 PM

The ACC might call their bluff. Then what?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU leaves, wanders the woods for 30 years ala USC

May 9, 2012, 12:39 PM

The Big 12 is not their answer or our answer. Clemson, Miami, FSU and UNC winning is the answer. Those are the only 4 schools that can turn around the ACC football image.

If FSU and Miami were playing ball like they did in the 80's and 90's, we wouldn't be having any of these discussions.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

VT says hi.

May 9, 2012, 12:41 PM

I would replace UNCheat with VT and say it's those four.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

If UNC were to win big in football,

May 9, 2012, 6:57 PM

the idiots in the ACC office would wake up pay attention to football. This is why I listed UNC.

Va Tech has peaked in my opinion and is on the downside of the mountain now.

UNC couldn't win big....

May 9, 2012, 7:03 PM

...when they had Butch and Black Santa, what makes you think they are going to start winning big anytime in the near future?

Here's the problem with that:

May 9, 2012, 12:44 PM [ in reply to FSU leaves, wanders the woods for 30 years ala USC ]

If by the time Miami and FSU begin playing ball like they did in the 80s and 90s and Clemson like it did in the 80s, it's too late. The TV contracts will have already been set in stone for a long period of time.

Re: Here's the problem with that:

May 9, 2012, 1:05 PM

Exactly. The ACC's deal already runs thru 2023, and is reportedly going to be extended to 2026. We will not survive 14 years of being anywhere from $5-$8 million behind the other conferences for 14 years. In 2026 the line of separation between the ACC and the SEC will be as clear as the line of separation between the ACC and Conf USA is now.

I wish more people on here thought things through like you.*

May 9, 2012, 1:07 PM

I hate to say it, but the line between the ACC & SEC

May 9, 2012, 7:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Here's the problem with that: ]

has been clear for decades in football. The ACC has never been on par with the SEC. The ACC is already conference USA to the SEC in football.

Really?

May 9, 2012, 9:08 PM

Seems to me I remember the ACC playing the SEC at or very close to .500 on the field in the 1990's. Had just as many championships too.

Thing is we were making more per team back then. That changed in the past decade and look where we are now.

Re: Here's the problem with that:

May 9, 2012, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Here's the problem with that: ]

Another big concern for me is the reports that ESPN wants to put a clause in any new contract that further expansion will not reopen negotiations. If they sign off on that, even convincing Notre Dame and Texas to join up wouldn't help the conference.

Re: This is a dangerous game, if that is what they're doing.

May 9, 2012, 2:04 PM [ in reply to This is a dangerous game, if that is what they're doing. ]

You can be assured that FSU has a Plan B in their back pocket and knows exactly what it will do if the ACC calls the bluff. They won't move unless they're absolutely sure they have a cushion.

Hopefully Clemson is making similar contingency plans, and hopefully the two schools are working as a unit to get things accomplished.

ACC was left standing at the station

May 9, 2012, 12:33 PM

as evidence see Syracuse and Pitt. Football drives the bus and tobacco road wants none of it.

LOL! You honestly think they're looking for a bigger cut

May 9, 2012, 12:37 PM

of the pie than other ACC schools?

yep I do. Watch them make a play for it.***

May 9, 2012, 12:40 PM

Sorry, but that's absurd.***

May 9, 2012, 12:43 PM

Re: Sorry, but that's absurd.***

May 9, 2012, 12:47 PM

Agree with you 100%. FSU is looking at this as a business decision, as well as hedging their bets on the new BCS playoff system. ACC will not have an automatic berth. Just stunned as to why we have so many ACC homers on this board.

The ACC is certainly in a slump, but certainly

May 9, 2012, 1:19 PM

has the potential to be great! Adding Pitt and Syracuse wasn't the smartest move, but all three major sports are pretty solid, but could certainly improve!

Replacing Swofford would be a great start, but not sure how farfetched of a possibility that is.

Re: The ACC is certainly in a slump, but certainly

May 9, 2012, 1:26 PM

A "slump"? Lol's. You're too kind, my friend.

Screw Calford.

Well, with all of the changes occurring, it does appear

May 9, 2012, 1:52 PM

that a gamble must take place to either stay where we are at and risk being left behind, or make a move and then end up in a bigger mess than we are already in.

I trust our AD to make the right decision. We just get to sit back and see what happens!!

Re: Sorry, but that's absurd.***

May 9, 2012, 7:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Sorry, but that's absurd.*** ]

Why ? because about half the ACC was in the top 25 all year...

Re: FSU is going to attempt to extort money from the ACC by

May 9, 2012, 12:38 PM

please dont try logic on this board train.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where are some of you getting the idea FSU has money

May 9, 2012, 12:45 PM

problems? They field the same number of teams as us and make $17 million more in revenues plus the booster club. Last year their AD broke even just on AD revenues. And they placed all 19 teams into post season play.

You folks do 2 things incredibly well ... conspiracy theories & making excuses.

Re: Where are some of you getting the idea FSU has money

May 9, 2012, 12:48 PM

Actually, there was a news report a couple days ago detailing FSU's money problems.

you are going to confuse him with facts***

May 9, 2012, 12:51 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where are some of you getting the idea FSU has money

May 9, 2012, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Where are some of you getting the idea FSU has money ]

I read it too.

Perhaps from places like these:

May 9, 2012, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Where are some of you getting the idea FSU has money ]

http://www.tallahassee.com/article/20120502/FSU03/120502024/FSU-s-Spetman-releases-statement-about-budget-shortfall

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_fsu/2012/05/behind-the-numbers-explaining-fsus-athletics-budget-shortfall.html

Re: Perhaps from places like these:

May 9, 2012, 1:47 PM

and silence

null

Re: Perhaps from places like these:

May 9, 2012, 6:59 PM

Did you expect anything else? ;)

You folks kill me. You have zero logic and critical thinking

May 9, 2012, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Perhaps from places like these: ]

ability. When a journalist or media outlet reports something negative about Clemson, or positive about other schools, they get labeled idiots. Yet when they report something negative about other schools or positive about Clemson, they are hailed as geniuses. You folks want your cake and eat it too. You are such irrational hypocrites.

Here are numbers that tell the real story ....
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/3/20/2880533/financial-comparison-acc-athletic-department-budgets-10-11

Regarding FSU, they are NOT hurting for money. They do not have a true shortfall. They simply have lower expected short term future revenues, which will lead to an adjusted budget. That is not a shortfall. This is typical media sensationalism!!

Here are some facts! FSU fields the same number of teams as Clemson, yet their budget is almost $20 million more than Clemson's AD budget. If they need to budget $2.4 million less next year they will sill be outspending every school in the ACC. If that sounds like a problem then by god I wish Clemson had that problem!! Not only that, but many schools in the ACC field more teams than FSU & CU. So FSU has the most money and field less teams. Ergo, they are far outspending every other school in the ACC in total dollars and dollars per team. Again, I can only wish Clemson had their budget problems.

This academic year all 19 FSU teams participated in post season play. They were the only NCAA team to accomplish this. Again, we can only wish we had their budget problems!

If I am planning to go to lunch and want to eat somewhere pricey, but look in my wallet and see I only have $10 dollars, I don't think "OMG I have a budget shortfall". No, I think, ok, I need to adjust my lunch expectations. Then I go eat a $9 dollar lunch and have a $1 post lunch surplus. Not a shortfall.

A shortfall is when I go to the expensive restaurant and get a $20 dollar bill and find only $10 dollars in my wallet. THAT is a shortfall!!

You people are on here acting like FSU has money issues and that is patently false. Proven false by the facts!!

Regarding all the stupid comments like "crickets", pardon me, I don't live on TNET like most of you. I have a life. I will always support my position, but I'm not going to respond to every moronic comment nor do it instantly.

So flame away, but the reality is, even with $3 million less next year FSU will still far outspend every other ACC school in real dollars and dollars/team fielded. They do not have a true budget shortfall, nor financial issues. And their overall AD is the most successful in the ACC.

Re: You folks kill me. You have zero logic and critical thinking

May 9, 2012, 8:41 PM

source- shaking the southland. LMAO

Re: You folks kill me. You have zero logic and critical thinking

May 9, 2012, 8:45 PM

source of shakingthesouthland..lol..does it have an editor in chief

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They properly source their data. The info IS factual and

May 9, 2012, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Re: You folks kill me. You have zero logic and critical thinking ]

correct. Today even the most respected newspapers, CNN, and the networks report things factually incorrect based on an agenda, just like the newspapers in Florida have an agenda and are sensationalizing a non-story.

So we should believe the numbers for your website...

May 9, 2012, 9:05 PM

....and disregard the direct quotes from FSU's AD in the Orlando Sentinel news article because they have an agenda and Shakin' the Southland doesn't?

Nationally respected news source vs hack fanboy website.

Man, it's so hard to choose who to believe here. /sarcasm

see perfect example of an inability to read comprehend

May 9, 2012, 11:14 PM

and process information. Nowhere did I say FSU was lying or using phony numbers. I said the story is nothing but sensationalism. And clearly FSU is trying to scare people into thinking they need more money so folks will buy tickets and donate more. They are manipulating the situation.

Here is the reality. FSU has the largest AD budget in the ACC, yet is in the lower half in terms of teams fielded. Thus, not only are they spending more money than everyone else, but they aren't having to spread that money as far.

They may be $2.4 million dollars short, but it's not a "shortfall" because they are not operating in the red. They aren't short for the past year, they are coming up short for what they wanted to spend next year.

Even if you take that $2.4 million out of their budget for next year they are still going to spend at least $10 million more than the next biggest AD in the conference, with fewer sports. If THAT is a money problem, please, give me that kind of problem!!

Calling that a "shortfall" is as dishonest as when liberals/Democrats claim the Republicans are cutting programs, when not one penny is cut. In fact, more money is being spent next year than this year. Why? Because it's NOT a real cut in the budget, it's a cut in the increase of the budget year over year. If you spend $10 this weekend, and want to spend $20 next weekend, but mom says no, you can spend $15, your budget was not cut, it simply grew by 50% instead of 100%.

And again, even if FSU has a slightly smaller budget next year, they are still spending far more money than everyone else and spending it on fewer sports. Ergo, this is all a big deal over nothing. It's sensationalism.

Last year Clemson's AD brought in $61 million and spent approx. $60.8 million. FSU brought in $78 million and spent the same amount. Clemson & FSU field the same number of teams. So, which AD would you like to have? The one that had $61 million and a handful of teams in postseason play, or the one with $78 million and had all 19 teams play in the postseason? The answer is obvious!!

There is no financial crisis at FSU. That's pure nonsense.

What excuses are you talking about, Faddy?

May 9, 2012, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Where are some of you getting the idea FSU has money ]

Here come the crickets...

May 9, 2012, 12:58 PM

Things cycle. The ACC will come back in football just as the SEC East has fallen. When you have coaching turnover it stiffles football programs.

Look what happened to Tennessee and Florida durung coaching turmoil. The ACC has been through coaching turmoil with 3 of 4 of the major football members (Clemson, FSU, Miami) - TB, Bobby Bowden, and Shannon. I think new coaches are in place at these schools that will put ACC football on the map in the next year or two.

May 9, 2012, 2:00 PM

No it won't. The ACC won't sniff north of 20 million with the poor football product. The Big 12 is 20 mil per team with 10 teams. 2 mil extra per team in expansion. Add Cu and FSU now you're at 24 mil. Plus 3.5 mil per team for the B12 championship game plus third tier TV. That dwarfs the ACC money

With all of the different sports and potential increase in

May 9, 2012, 2:13 PM

traveling cost, I'm sure they will still be able to make lots of money on the deal, but how long would it take to break even on the penalty fee to leave the ACC?

Thing is it would have little effect on most sports

May 9, 2012, 3:13 PM

In sports like golf, track, cross country, etc. we really only compete as a conference in the ACC Championships.

In men's tennis we only had 11 out of 23 matches against conference competition. The rest were regional OOC opponents and tournaments (two of which were in Tulsa, OK and Austin, TX)

May 9, 2012, 2:52 PM

That's the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time. It is about money, and it should be about money. Clemson and Florida State are two premier schools that use to demand respect and should demand respect now. Football is the cash cow, and it's now time for both schools to step up and tell the mighty ACC basketball conference, who by the way will never do anything good for Clemson, to go take a flying leap. The 9th conference game revenue loss alone will cost both schools at least 4 million dollars which by the way, is what the ACC had in mind in it's efforts to build up the 2 basketball schools.Any notion that we can ride it out and sooner or later the ACC will come around to our way of thinking is like waiting for a Clemson fan to start hoping that the school in Columbia will keep it's winning ways.... It ain't going to happen. That's my opinion, but I have an idea that there are more fans out there that have the same idea than those that don't.

FSU doesn't have the 20 mil to leave

May 9, 2012, 5:27 PM

That is unless CU goes with them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 9, 2012, 8:49 PM

i will go on record as saying FSU-CLemson will not be leaving the ACC in the near future..source holly hill observer

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Holly Hill. How do you know about Holly Hill? Fan of

May 9, 2012, 11:27 PM

Sweatman's BBQ?

My mom and dad have lived on Lake Marion over in Eutawville since the early 80s. I go through Holly Hill and past Sweatman's every time I go home to see them.

LOL, I thought we were broke.

May 9, 2012, 9:08 PM

Let them try and get a piece of the Texas pie.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic