Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Evaluating the 2011 recruiting class
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Evaluating the 2011 recruiting class

Oct 29, 2013, 1:54 PM

This was our first truly elite recruiting class.

5* Players

Stephone Anthony - Living up to his billing, Anthony is one of the best ILB in the nation.

Mike Bellamy - Not sure what Mike is up to these days, but it's not running the ball or causing trouble in Tiger Town.

Tony Steward - Injuries have derailed one of the top players in the 2011 class. He will have every opportunity to move into the starting lineup next season and redeem, what has otherwise been a lackluster on the field career.

Sammy Watkins - Superstar, one of the best, if not the best, WR in the nation.

Overall - we are 50% in 5* players - 2 stars, 1 injury plagued career, and one guy who couldn't get his head together.

4* Players

Martavis Bryant - All the talent in the world, but it has yet to translate into a dependable weapon on the field. Word is that this is his last year. Overall he will probably be considered a disappointment if he leaves after this season.

Corey Crawford - Coming into his own this season. He is an excellent strong side defensive end. His lived up to his 4* billing.

Cortez Davis - Never panned out/ transferred, there is a Cortez Davis sized hole in the back half of our secondary.

Eric MacLain - Has to be considered a disappointment thus far, but will have a chance to redeem himself if he can make it on the field as an OL.

Charone Peake - Just when he was starting to come into his own, the dreaded non contact knee injury ended his season. Again, at this point, he has had a disappointing career, but will have 2 seasons to make his mark on Clemson.

Lateek Townsend - Looked the part, was a decent special teams player, but never caught on to the intricacy of College Football and left the team.

3* Highlights:

Grady Jarrett: High motor, pass rushing D-Tackle. He has far exceeded his 3* ranking

Ryan Norton: Starting center, still needs to add weight to move his game to the next level. Struggles with big nose guards.

Robert Smith: High School QB, transitioned to starting SS. He is a sure tackler, but has some physical limitations that teams with big WR can exploit.

Cole Stoudt: The favorite player on every team is the back up QB. Cole is in line to start next season, despite having 2 highly touted QB's (Kelly and Watson) on the roster.

Deshaun Williams: Big, run stuffing D-Tackle, doesn't show up much in the box score, but eats up blocks and keeps Anthony and Shuey clean to make tackles.

Stanton Steckinger: Tall WR converted to TE. Has shown flashes of excellence, and flashes of killing us in big games. He is young and talented, but isn't ever going to be much help in the run game. However, he could develop into a red zone monster if continues to progress.

3* Overall: Clemson picked up a few diamonds in the rough. Overall, more play makers in the 3* class than the 4* class (granted there were 13 3* players in the class, many of whom are either gone, or used only on special teams)

2* Highlights:

Adam Humphries: Has far exceeded his meager billing. Humphries is an excellent slot receiver, and has outplayed both Byrant and Peake so far in his career. His upside is limited but his production is unquestioned.

Overall:

Some big misses can be seen on the field today. We lack an explosive running back (Bellamy) and size in the secondary (Davis). The real weakness in the class can be seen in the failure to develop the 4* players. However, with that said this class still has 1 more season to prove why it was ranked highly. It might have to do so without Watkins (and possibly Bryant) but the potential is still their, but the clock is ticking.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bryant isn't going anywhere...

Oct 29, 2013, 2:00 PM

Probably couldn't go anywhere if he wanted to...

Kid really needs to step his game up.

I agree, he shouldn't, but that's not the word on the street***

Oct 29, 2013, 2:09 PM

I'm sorry but what street? Haven't heard that anywhere. I

Oct 29, 2013, 2:19 PM

simply can't imagine he really thinks that.

Do you even Tigernet Bro?

Oct 29, 2013, 2:22 PM

Word is Bryant is considering throwing his hat in the ring on talent alone because of his family situation (has kids to feed). Someone will take to shot at him in the 3rd - 5th round. Receivers that run like Bryant at 6-5 are hard to come by.

Drew... I know what you're referring to...

Oct 29, 2013, 2:32 PM

And there are two things to consider:

1. Believing what you hear from a guy on tnet whole talked to a friend who is neighbors with a family member of MB's

2. They fact that this early in the year, Dabo and Jeff Scott have probably not had the chance to get in his ear about all the many reasons why leaving early is a terrible idea for him (probably a 4th round grade, lack of production, in Sammy's shadow this season, could be the guy next season, needs more experience being a starter in a complicated system, etc. )

Remember Derrick Hamilton?***

Oct 29, 2013, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Bryant isn't going anywhere... ]

Bryant is a physical freak

Oct 29, 2013, 2:33 PM

Hamilton didn't have that going for him.

Needs to put on weight and work on routes...***

Oct 29, 2013, 2:35 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No argument here, still wouldn't be surprised to see him go

Oct 29, 2013, 2:37 PM

Also, I'm not sure about the entire "route" thing. I'm not sure we let him run routes that don't involve him running down the sideline. Hard to evaluate his route running, when he only really runs 1 or 2 routes. I would love to see him catch a ball with room to maneuver.

There is a reason for that

Oct 29, 2013, 2:39 PM

You may not think our coaches are the best in the world but why would we not have him running multiple routes if he could run them well? Our coaches are trying to put everybody in the situation they can be most successful in.

I just like seeing him with the ball in his hands

Oct 29, 2013, 2:43 PM

You know, like at the end of the FSU game when he ran a crossing route, caught the ball, made a few moves and got out of bounds. He has been here three years, that's long enough to teach someone how to run across the field. You honestly don't feel like he is capable of running a crossing route?

Capable may not be the right word

Oct 29, 2013, 2:45 PM

I don't know that he is skilled at it. I don't think he does a great job at feeling the LBs and safeties and finding the open space coming across. He probably looks great at it at the end of a game because the secondary loosens up. I think it's those awareness type of things that keep his routes by the sidelines.

Re: No argument here, still wouldn't be surprised to see him go

Oct 29, 2013, 2:44 PM [ in reply to No argument here, still wouldn't be surprised to see him go ]

Long fly across the middle where it's just a foot race with the free safety. He seems to get pinned on the sidelines. Let him work the middle of the field. Less maneuvering and more shear speed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree, almost every catch he makes

Oct 29, 2013, 2:45 PM

He is fighting the sideline and the defender.

Imagine Bryant does go an gets taken in the 3rd or 4th

Oct 29, 2013, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Bryant is a physical freak ]

Can you imagine the recruiting pitch? Dabo can go tell every receiver in the country that our #2 or possibly even #3 receiver is being picked in the top 4 rounds of the draft. Nobody in the country can say that. Would be a heck of a recruiting pitch if it happens. (Got to find the positive)

I was about to post this--he's reminding me of

Oct 29, 2013, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Remember Derrick Hamilton?*** ]

Hamilton (not in playing style but in squandered-potential-bad-decision-if-he-leaves-early)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have 2 words for this.....

Oct 29, 2013, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Bryant isn't going anywhere... ]

Mike Williams!

Go with it.

Nice summary. I would imagine every school in the country

Oct 29, 2013, 2:00 PM

has similar ups and downs in recruiting.

The thing to remember is, when you have (16) 5 stars on your roster and the entire two-deep is nothing but 4 and 5 stars (like FSU for example), then if you hit on ~50% of them then you have a lot of really good players running around on your practice fields. We have some good players, obviously, but we are not yet on that level.

Re: Evaluating the 2011 recruiting class- Townsend

Oct 29, 2013, 2:09 PM

I think after he said he would transfer he asked to come back. I heard he had a check list to meet to return. He didnt hold up his end. The kid has talent but he has squandered it so far

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Evaluating the 2011 recruiting class

Oct 29, 2013, 2:39 PM

Nice summary! However...I don't think, regardless of how much he might deserve it, that Stoudt will start.

He isn't mobile enough for Chad's system...

I think you see the dreaded 2 QB system

Oct 29, 2013, 2:41 PM

At least early on next season, until Cole or Kelly really separates.

^^^ I agree***

Matt Cassell?

Oct 29, 2013, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Evaluating the 2011 recruiting class ]

You are saying he is a career back up? I think Stoudt could get a chance in the NFL even if he is. His dad played and he could fit in with one of the more traditional offensive teams.

Re: Matt Cassell?

I don't necessarily disagree...unfortunately for him 2 things work against him:

- he's robotic
- he has great height, but he'll break if he gets unloaded on

Again - very appreciative of his talents. He has done everything asked and then some.

You description sounds like

Oct 29, 2013, 2:48 PM

Tom Brady. People said the same thing about him coming out of college. I don't think Stoudt will be Brady by any means, but with the right scheme Stoudt could get picked up as a back up QB somewhere. I think his knowledge of the game helps in that regard.

If we don't recruit Tajh Boyd, then Cole Stoudt might be

Oct 29, 2013, 3:58 PM

viewed in the same light as Charlie Whitehurst.

IMHO, they are very similar QBs with very similar pedigrees.

Cole will be a good player for us next year as a senior, but Chad Morris will have to adjust things to match Cole's skill set.

Having the bigger RBs with more ability to make tough yards (RS'ing this year) should help.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm expecting Chad to win the starting job next season

Oct 29, 2013, 2:44 PM

I also wouldn't be surprised if MB leaves. If he did it would be a huge draft class for the tigers with an obvious silver lining when it comes to recruiting. Peake Williams Hopper will be as solid a rotation that you could ask for. Develope a TE and unleash a RB we could still be a scary offense.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic