Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do you ever get tired of seeing players come and go?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Do you ever get tired of seeing players come and go?

Jan 5, 2018, 7:29 AM

It seems the older I get, the harder it’s getting to be ok with guys coming in, playing their way way into my life’s conversation and then poof, gone in 3 years, to never be heard from again. I know they’re some exceptions, but overall gone.
In the NFL you can pretty much follow someone for a dozen years or so, barring injury. But who’s really investing time in the league anymore with all that’s going on there? It just stinks that it’s so shortlved and then on to the next, but I also get college life is extremely quick.
I have all my Championship memorabilia from ‘15-‘17 displayed on my wall, and although I’m still excited for the great run, the sad thing is now they’re just that..memorabilia. Where’s my Kleenex?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can empathize, but I heart the rights of passage...

Jan 5, 2018, 7:48 AM

brought by the journey from new-faced freshman to the time students and student-athletes leave, whether graduation or other.

And the average NFL lifespan is around 3 years and near 80% of those will be ded dig broke within 3 years of their leaving. Those are fairly recent NFLPA numbers, if anyone cares.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, but the studs play a long time and ....

Jan 5, 2018, 8:07 AM

most are never broke. Those who play that short time and who generally end up broke are those that aren't as talented or get injured and are low round draft picks and usually make the league minimum. Generally speaking that is not enough money for a lifetime. If they can make through enough years they have a great retirement plan too. It's a great gig if you can stay healthy and last long enough.

You're making excuses for those horrific numbers?

Jan 5, 2018, 8:08 AM

Maybe college and finishing it is important and should be the focus?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hang in there snoddy

Jan 5, 2018, 7:54 AM

while they will all still leave........you gots bunches of more memorabilia to round up during '18-'20

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

With all that's going on in the NFL?

Jan 5, 2018, 8:01 AM

You mean maybe 2% of the players taking a knee? Big deal. The NFL is awesome and always has been. Anyway, as far as your topic on the players coming ad going, yeah it sucks. C Wilkins and Watson were gone too. fast. Anyway, that's part o the reason we have the NFL. Look forward to Deshaun and the Texans next year.

I don't care if the inmates are running the asylum now...

Jan 5, 2018, 8:05 AM

I stopped watching 10+ years ago.

If you think it's great, god speed.

Why are they inmates and how are tehey running...

Jan 5, 2018, 8:10 AM

the asylum? There probably hasn't been a tougher guy to run the league than Goodell in decades. Also, what happened ten years ago to make you dislike it? There has been some great football over the last 10 years.

It's a long-standing idiom, one that I saw a lot of stupid..

Jan 5, 2018, 8:12 AM

people lose their minds over.

Finishing college might have helped better understand it?

If you finished college?

Jan 5, 2018, 8:17 AM

Sorry, I didn't get that last part. As far NFL, compared to college football, college football will always be way better to me. It's just more pure. The NFL is good too though. Some years are better than others. This year was pretty weak.

Yes, finishing college and having a degree to fall back...

Jan 5, 2018, 8:27 AM

upon, instead of having an 80% chance of being ded dig broke, many declaring bankruptcy and having no prospects.

I know these numbers are driving continuing education while in football, which is good, but if people really cared about these young people, as Dabo and others do, then that education would be LAUDED above all else.

It should be in light of the information and just makes good sense in general.

Exactly! Especially when their degree....

Jan 5, 2018, 8:39 AM

is being handed to them on a silver platter in many cases, even if it's just guiding them to the easier profs and giving them great tutors to "help" write papers. There are so many though that weren't truly qualified to be in college in the first place. I think many have to leave before they graduate. Maybe they can't finish that last math class it takes to graduate etc.

you are kidding yourself

Jan 5, 2018, 9:50 AM [ in reply to It's a long-standing idiom, one that I saw a lot of stupid.. ]

if you think even half of the college football players care about college. they use it as a stepping stone to get to the NFL, even Clemson players. College isn't for everyone, and if not for football most of the players wouldn't even go to college. I've known a few guys who played college football, didn't get their degree, and didn't make it in the NFL. they are fine upstanding people who work hard and have started families. yeah they don't have millions but that's just how the ball rolls sometimes.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't care if THEY care now, they should care if that's

Jan 5, 2018, 9:56 AM

the avenue of choice, the numbers provided should help drive that home?

I also don't care if they don't go to college at all, if they choose otherwise so be it, but if they do then the expectations and reasons should be clear.

And I'm glad you know some that have not ended up with no prospects, it doesn't make me feel better for those that have not.

Re: With all that's going on in the NFL?

Jan 5, 2018, 8:13 AM [ in reply to With all that's going on in the NFL? ]

I just remember when the NFL used to be coveted and now it just seems like a joke. Another means to sell junk. Let me explain. When I was growing up, endorsements were nonexistent and never more important than the game of football. Now an NFL player can get as much, if not more, than the actual salary by selling shaving cream, shoes, etc.
I’m not saying it’s not watchable, but a lot of emphasis is placed in non football related areas of the game. i.e. Cam’s stupid hat “thing” he makes sure to plug each week, win or loose and I’m a Panthers fan. In any case, I think you get my point and Go Tigers! Past, present, and certainly future

I agree. It's not as pure as college.

Jan 5, 2018, 8:20 AM

It's a big show and a;l business all of the time. As far as the players go, a very small portion of them have endorsements. Most of the players are grinding just hoping to have a career. All of the money goes to a handful of guys and the rest are grinding hoping for a big pay day to make their lives for good. There are so many stories and subplots. I agree with you though that the business side of it and marketing side of it has made it feel less pure than it did even in the 1990's.

I couldn't care less about players kneeling during the

Jan 5, 2018, 9:48 AM [ in reply to With all that's going on in the NFL? ]

anthem, they're adults and can make whatever protest/statement they want. My problem is the NFL product has declined. Watching guys get KO'd and destroyed by injuries has gotten out of control because the athletes have gotten so much bigger, faster, stronger. The NFL pretends to care about injuries but continues sending teams out to play on Thursdays every week. On top of that, the league has gone to a pass happy league while the QB play is garbage. Look at the playoffs...there are 3 great QBs in Brady (GOAT), Big Ben and Brees, who doesn't really sling it around like he used to. Then you've got Blake freaking Bortles, a couple backups starting for Philly and Minnesota, Goff who's had a good year after being the worst QB in the league last year, and Tyrod Taylor?

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to watch the playoffs and hope the Panthers make a run. But even the Panthers won 11 games with a terribly inconsistent QB, no running game and well...is Funchess the top WR?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

nah he's not

Jan 5, 2018, 9:53 AM

Antonio Brown, Nuk, or adam thielen are the best receivers. He's up there though

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

top receiver for the Panthers is what I was referring to***

Jan 5, 2018, 9:58 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: I couldn't care less about players kneeling during the

Jan 5, 2018, 9:57 AM [ in reply to I couldn't care less about players kneeling during the ]

yes, funchess is their best wr - that tells you plenty. the nfl bought into their own hype and the machine, then decided to put games on almost every day of the week. only to saturate the market and have people get bored.

Message was edited by: theclash®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

And yet the ACC is failing to learn from that mistake

Jan 5, 2018, 9:59 AM

scheduling games on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Re: And yet the ACC is failing to learn from that mistake

Jan 5, 2018, 10:03 AM

yes

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: Do you ever get tired of seeing players come and go?

Jan 5, 2018, 8:19 AM

I reject the notion that just because a College player does not get a pro contract that it means they are dead broke within 3 years. Most do leave with a College degree in hand, even though the multi-million dollar NFL contracts may not come for many. Truth is if they do not go in the NFL, people do not really know how successful the players are once out of football. I do hate seeing players like DW4 or Hunter Renfrow leave, but that is just the nature of the beast.

Plu sif they play long enough their ...

Jan 5, 2018, 8:30 AM

NFL retirement plan starts at 55. That's pretty young for retirement anyway.

Re: Do you ever get tired of seeing players come and go?

Jan 5, 2018, 10:05 AM

I definitely understand that. I was an NFL fan first. Though both of my parents went to Clemson, neither really cared about sports, so my interest in football was pretty self-driven from a young age. Being 8 in 1996 when the Panthers were first broadcast on TV, I started keeping up with them because I could see them every week, whereas I almost never got to see a Clemson game because college football wasn't on TV as much, and we didn't get anything other than air channels for another 7 years. So by 2004-05 when I started really keeping up with Clemson football, I already had nearly a decade of dedicated NFL/Panthers fandom and 5 years of playing Franchise mode in Madden games which furthered my understanding of how the NFL worked. I later started playing the NCAA games, and grew to like NCAA Dynasty mode more than Madden Franchise mode, although I never really got invested in any of the randomly generated new recruits like I did the randomly generated rookies in Madden because they weren't there as long. Both in video games and real life, I've always appreciated that the stars in the NFL are usually around for 10+ years and often with the same time for that entire time, where in college, you had a maximum of 4 playing years, and often fewer because of depth or star players leaving early as has become the case more frequently in the past decade or so.

These days I don't play the games anymore, and I still tend to get more invested in the Panthers than the Tigers. I can usually name the entire 53 man roster and list the correct depth chart for Carolina at any given time during the season as well as the IR guys and some of the practice squad players. For Clemson, I can usually name all of the starters, and maybe half of the second string and my depth chart would probably by 75% correct. Part of that is the difference in roster size. Part of it is just the fact that I feel a bit odd having too much investment in kids that are 17/18 years old and may never see the field even at the college level.

I've definitely reached an understanding of why some people dislike the NFL these days. Though it doesn't matter to me, I know some people get tired of all the outside the lines stuff, but the main thing I realize as an adult is that at the end of the day, you're basically pulling for a jersey. And unlike college, where you may have legitimate ties to a school as a former alum, or a relative of a student/alum, the ties to an NFL team are just which hat you decided to buy at the sporting goods store or what team happened to be featured on your local Sunday NFL broadcast when you were young. That realization hasn't killed my NFL fandom by any means, but it has tempered it somewhat.

The "I don't like the NFL because it's boring" approach is valid to a degree, but the thing that makes it "boring" vs the college "exciting" is just that everybody is better and the talent variation is much smaller. There aren't as many big plays in the NFL because people don't mess up or get beaten by a far superior athlete as much.

For the past five years the excitement of incoming...

Jan 5, 2018, 10:23 AM

players has been overwhelmingly exciting. That's more than consoling to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic