Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why does Deon Cain not dive for passes?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

Why does Deon Cain not dive for passes?

Nov 8, 2017, 4:40 PM

Some of the greatest catches I have witnessed is when a WR dives for a over thrown pass.

I remember Mike Williams doing this several times in his career.

I have enjoyed Hunter Renfrow making a few crucial diving catches for scores and for large gains.

However, It seems that Deon Cain will not dive for an overthrown pass. Last Saturday vs State I was disappointed that Deon Cain didn't dive for one particular throw that I believe he could have caught. It was almost as though he feels that if the pass doesn't hit him in stride he is ok with not catching it.

This has been a trend I have noticed with him? Does anyone else see this? Why is he not willing to stretch out for a slightly overthrown pass?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Last post 3 yrs ago? Anuther coot?***

Nov 8, 2017, 4:42 PM

Re: Last post 3 yrs ago? Anuther coot?***

Nov 8, 2017, 4:45 PM

I really am a tiger. I didn't go to clemson. Do you not notice this? I am hoping he reads this and dives for the next overthrown ball. Do you not agree?

Nov 8, 2017, 4:48 PM

nope

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Nov 8, 2017, 4:50 PM

Fair enough. Has any other Clemson fans noticed this? I like Deon Cain. Just wish he would dive for possibly catchable passes.

No, I dont. You need to pay closer attn!*

Nov 8, 2017, 4:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Last post 3 yrs ago? Anuther coot?*** ]
diving cain.jpg(114.7 K)

Re: No, I dont. You need to pay closer attn!*

Nov 8, 2017, 4:53 PM

Go back and watch the tape on the long balls. I did think he made several crucial catches in the game including TD catch. I guess I am being to hard on him. The picture you posted does show him stretching out for a catch.

Are you talking about that deep pass against NCS?

Nov 8, 2017, 4:50 PM

Deon lost a shoe. I don't get much distance on my dive on soft turf with a shoe missing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are you talking about that deep pass against NCS?

Nov 8, 2017, 4:54 PM

yes. didn't notice shoe was off. i will go back and look at it

shoe was off

Nov 8, 2017, 4:55 PM

simple math

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

I'm slow to criticize our players and coaches.

Nov 8, 2017, 5:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Are you talking about that deep pass against NCS? ]

I review issues I have questions about and decisions which I challenge I think before I shoot out a stupid post.

Disclaimer:

Most of my post are stupid but they it isn't because I'm landblasting our coaches or players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm slow to criticize our players and coaches.

Nov 8, 2017, 5:21 PM

It has been something I have noticed in several games. I challenge my sons to give all effort to catch any ball thrown their way. This is why we love renfrow. Cain has more talent and I would love to see him do all he can to catch a slightly overthrown ball. Not lambasting anyone. I still think he has been unwilling to dive on numerous throws and would love to see him do it. I have felt this way for the last two years. Didn't notice the shoe thing this one time. We can always challenge our coaches and players to give more of an effort. that is why the message board exist. Not always sunshine and praise. Did not beat the kid up. Would like to see him dive rather than watch ball fall to the ground.

Dion is just a different kind of WR from Williams & Renfrow

Nov 8, 2017, 4:52 PM

He's a big fast kid who was a QB in high school and never played WR until he got to Clemson.

He goes about his business differently from those other two, but I sure am glad he's on our team.

He helps this team win.

Re: Dion is just a different kind of WR from Williams & Renfrow

Nov 8, 2017, 4:55 PM

didn't realize that he wasn't a pure receiver

curious

Nov 8, 2017, 4:56 PM

how cood you not know?

asking for a friend

Re: curious

Nov 8, 2017, 4:58 PM

I have heard it said about one of our wr. thought it was Ray Ray who played QB in Highschool. I know a lot about Clemson but somehow missed that.

Nov 9, 2017, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Dion is just a different kind of WR from Williams & Renfrow ]

BIG? He's not that big. Fast? Definitely. He's more of an Anquan Boldin/Terrell owens type receiver, not a Larry Fitzgerald.

Nov 9, 2017, 12:39 PM

Larry Fitzgerald and Terrell Owens are the same height (6'3"), spot on with Anquan Boldin though.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hunter was a QB in HS too***

Nov 9, 2017, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Dion is just a different kind of WR from Williams & Renfrow ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i blame Ponzi

Nov 8, 2017, 5:29 PM

whoever he is.

Re: i blame Ponzi

Nov 9, 2017, 9:40 PM

Ponzi be scheming....

Same reason Dorn tanks ground balls.Have you seen this face?***

Nov 9, 2017, 10:06 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why does Deon Cain not dive for passes?

Nov 9, 2017, 10:19 AM

Because he's not an elite receiver yet (maybe never will be) like Watkins, Hopkins, Williams, etc... He's a very good receiver but NOT upper echelon. My complaint wasn't that he wasn't diving for overthrown balls, but that he drops at least one catchable ball every game and some games he has two drops or missed catches that hit him right in the hands. When you also add in the 2 times a game that he has the defender beat by 2 steps and Bryant or Zachery overthrows him by 3-5 yards or under threw it by five yards that is the difference between last years team and this years team offensively speaking.

Wayson was a better QB to be sure, but let's not forget how many Int's he had too. He mad up for them with TD's both running and passing. But Bryant is apparently not the passing QB they thought he was.

Yeah, Zachery!***

Nov 9, 2017, 9:54 PM

I thought the same thing on the pass down the middle, but

Nov 9, 2017, 10:38 AM

then realized the shoe issue plus the bump that caused him to lose the shoe may have prevented him from setting up to dive.

Also, he made a sweet diving catch for a TD against either LU or FSU last year.

Sounds like Sammy***

Nov 9, 2017, 12:36 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Diving is going down, jumping is going up for the pass.***

Nov 9, 2017, 9:37 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Diving is going down, jumping is going up for the pass.***

Nov 9, 2017, 9:44 PM

Maybe he doesn't know how to swim.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've said this to myself 4-5x this season.

Nov 9, 2017, 9:42 PM

I loved the fact Mike Williams would do this seemingly every chance possible. I guess you can't expect everyone else to do it the same way.

Nov 9, 2017, 9:46 PM

He could've dove for the last long ball KB threw to him in the 3rd Qtr. Kb missed some throws Saturday night but I blamed Deon on that one... He literally could've reached for the ball and he would've caught it.

Nov 9, 2017, 9:49 PM

Smart enough to know risk is not worth reward.

Nov 9, 2017, 9:52 PM

Not sure why everyone is being obtuse about this.

There have been several times the last 3 years he’s had a chance to lay out for the ball but didn’t.

Nov 9, 2017, 9:57 PM

I have always thought Deons game is very similar to Odell Beckham... OP is correct in his assessment of the non diving attempts. I would agree with other posters in regards to Deon not being a pure receiver (highschool qb / pure athlete). However, a complete receiver will lay out for the ball with reckless abadonment. This is the missing piece in Deon’s game and I hope he comes back for 1 more season. His ceiling is very high and he will make some noise on Sundays. The QB always expects a receiver to run full speed through the entire route. This was a problem even with Watson at QB.

Go Tigers

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic